PDA

View Full Version : Electronics at the table: yes or no- distraction or tool

Spo
2023-03-04, 08:12 PM
In games I use a paper character sheet with a lot of the details of various skills/features written out. About 70 % of the players in my game do this. Then there is the other 30% that have their pc’s on tablets/phones/laptops.

These electronic players are always distracted and rarely know what’s going on when it is their turn in combat (we have to constantly update them on the combat landscape = slows down play/draining).

I bite my tongue regarding this because I’m trying to check my passive aggressiveness.

If you have had similar experiences with electronic players, how were they handled?

Thanks.

Cheesegear
2023-03-04, 08:29 PM
If you have had similar experiences with electronic players, how were they handled?

With the rise of D&D Beyond, I have found that electronics at the table are...Inextricable.

The most significant issue I have found is that the phones, tablets and laptops, aren't being used to look at character sheets;

That D&D Beyond is used as a justification for why a phone should be allowed on the table...That's where all my character is, and that's where I learn how my spells work. Sure. Of course. That makes sense.

But once that phone is on the table...The player is free to check Instagram or do whatever they like. That has nothing to do with 'electronics at the table', and has everything to do with 'the player would rather put their attention elsewhere.'
I've also had massive problems when players play online. Same thing. But even worse since they aren't even at the table and we can't see what they're doing to even notice that they're not paying attention.

(we have to constantly update them on the combat landscape = slows down play/draining).

The thing that jumps out at me is "We". As in, other players find it to be an issue. I had one player physically take away another player's phone. I didn't even do that. Another player was so pissed off at the girl's inattention he just solved the problem.
"If it rings, it's an emergency. Anything else is social media. You don't need your phone at the table."
Shock...She was really invested in the game all of a sudden when her phone was taken away. She even used Reactions.

When we're in a fairly easy combat that the players are winning, I find it's helpful to simply skip them in the Initiative order. If they're truly not paying attention, they wont even notice. Sometimes I wont skip them, and I'll say "You Dodge." and then move on. But I find that since D&D is a cooperative game, skipping a player's turn can impact the other players at the table, too. It's a fine line you have to walk. But you can find it if you have enough players at the table, and you'll especially fine the line pretty quickly if the other players find someone's inattention to be a pain in the arse.

Players don't like having their turn skipped. When you tell them why they were skipped, it's pretty easy to correct behavior.

Gignere
2023-03-04, 08:29 PM
In games I use a paper character sheet with a lot of the details of various skills/features written out. About 70 % of the players in my game do this. Then there is the other 30% that have their pc’s on tablets/phones/laptops.

These electronic players are always distracted and rarely know what’s going on when it is their turn in combat (we have to constantly update them on the combat landscape = slows down play/draining).

I bite my tongue regarding this because I’m trying to check my passive aggressiveness.

Thanks.

I don’t think it’s the electronics that is distracting. It’s the player, I’ve had player prior to electronics that didn’t pay attention, it has nothing to do with electronics.

Unoriginal
2023-03-04, 08:33 PM

Thanks.

Electronics shouldn't mean "I'm doing something else".

Asking the persons to only use their main computer/phone/tablet for their RPG documents seems reasonable to me, and that is what I do in the campaign where my sheet is on my computer.

Although I am not against people checking other things from time to time, as not everything demands everyone's attention all the time. So long as it's reasonable.

animorte
2023-03-04, 08:41 PM
We've made it a point that, if you do have an electronic character sheet, it's not difficult to transfer it over to a physical copy in a couple minutes.

Even though I may have used the same spell/feature a thousand times, I still write down what is needed from it. We also have a few PHBs around the table for quick reference.

If you want to play, act like it. If you're new to the system, we have people around the table to help. If you need to make a phone call, sure. One thing that does help is taking 5 minutes for bathroom/phone/smoke about every hour.

sambojin
2023-03-04, 08:41 PM
As a druid player, definite yes.

I just hand my DM my phone (I do have a spare), whenever I wildshape or want to summon stuff. Instant stats known. Bloody handy as a DM for the same reason. Always on-hand reference material, and quicker than a book or the internet.

I've got a fair few apps that detail pretty much everything, quickly and easily, so I'm never mucking around on the internet or DnDBeyond. Just a quick search in an app, hand phone over, and done.

Saves heaps of time.

Samayu
2023-03-04, 09:43 PM
There's a fine line... I don't feel we can tell players to put their electronics away, but we can explain that the distractions are causing gameplay to be slowed down, and ask them to pay more attention, and suggest that putting the distractions away would be a big help.

We've got one guy who plays video games the entire night, turning them off when it's his turn. But he seems to be aware of what's going on, and doesn't slow things down much, so nobody has said anything to him yet.

Kane0
2023-03-04, 10:45 PM
As a player I use my laptop, since my character sheet is in spreadsheet form. I also use it to quickly bring up spell descriptions, feat details and such which lets me help everyone out.

As a DM i use it too, holding my notes and letting me quickmath when i already have too many other things going on in my head and on the whiteboard.

Ive got a dice roller on my laptop and phone too, but I always have my dice anyways

So i'm firmly on the technology side myself, but i understand those that dont want it at their table. It does take some extra discipline to stay tuned in

da newt
2023-03-04, 11:39 PM
It's not the electronics, it's the behavior. It's about respecting/valuing the game and the other people enough to be fully present. Not everyone understands this - it needs to be taught and discussed at session zero.

IMO if a Player is disrupting play by not paying attention the DM / table lead should discuss it with them - it shouldn't be a confrontation or accusation, just a simple 'Hey, you need to figure out if you want to be here or doing something else. If you want to be here playing this game, then you need to pay attention to this game. It's fun and we'd love to have you, but you need to commit to it.' or similar ought to work most of the time.

I'd also temper that a bit with everyone is different and there's no ONE way to D&D right, but not everyone meshes with every table too.

Sigreid
2023-03-05, 01:52 AM
Right now, we're scattered around the country so we all play with our computers. When we were all local, it was pretty common to have your character in an excel file on your laptop. Was also handy for taking notes about the game.

Bottom line, they're only distractions for players that are going to be distracted anyway and are just there for a little companionship and their turn to roll dice.

Leon
2023-03-05, 02:00 AM
Tool in the hands of those who need it and a distraction in the hands of those that don't and many people blur the line ~ might need it but also will be distracted by it.

animorte
2023-03-05, 02:05 AM
It does take some extra discipline to stay tuned in

Bottom line, they're only distractions for players that are going to be distracted anyway and are just there for a little companionship and their turn to roll dice.
Both excellent points to keep in mind.

LurkerShep
2023-03-05, 03:03 AM
Speaking personally as a player, I use a tablet at the table. Character sheet (with spell descriptions) and necessary books on one half, taking notes on the other. Between turns in combat if it goes long til my turn I pull out my phone to message my boyfriend but listen closely to the game and pause typing when I really need to pay attention suddenly and type notes down or really consider how I can spend my next turn if it's not "I can melee attack" and then pass.

Contrariwise, my cousin has his phone out playing phone games when we are in combat and it takes awhile to get to his turn, but is otherwise engaged in role-playing and his turn. Granted he could be using that time to pick his move when his turn comes up. He also uses his phone to look at his spells.

Putting it simply: it depends on if and how much you can pay attention while using your tech. Everyone is different.

Kurt Kurageous
2023-03-05, 09:30 AM
I run a club at a high school for mostly new to the game players. When it was apparent that one of my players was not paying attention to the game in favor of the phone, I asked, "Which is more fun for you? If it's the game, then respect the game. If it's the phone, please quit the game out of respect for those who chose the game. But you can't have both right now."

And that ended it.

firelistener
2023-03-05, 11:21 AM
I run a club at a high school for mostly new to the game players. When it was apparent that one of my players was not paying attention to the game in favor of the phone, I asked, "Which is more fun for you? If it's the game, then respect the game. If it's the phone, please quit the game out of respect for those who chose the game. But you can't have both right now."

And that ended it.

That's an excellent way of phrasing it. Granted, some people are still going to take offense to a statement like that, but there's not always a way to keep everyone happy. One thing I like to remind players that are zoned out: the other players genuinely find the game more fun when you participate more. I find that people often respond well when they are told they are wanted.

False God
2023-03-05, 12:40 PM
I don’t think it’s the electronics that is distracting. It’s the player, I’ve had player prior to electronics that didn’t pay attention, it has nothing to do with electronics.

This is my experience. Easily distracted players are easily distracted. It doesn't matter if its a phone or dice or a bird out the window or some conversation about football they just cannot wait to have with someone they know at the table.

Some folks also need a distraction. Phones are just fancy fidget spinners in this context. They're paying attention, even if they don't look it.

I only judge if a person is paying attention or not if when it comes to their turn or they're told something is happening to them, I have to repeat the information multiple times or remind them how to play the game.

Mastikator
2023-03-05, 12:51 PM
In a game as complicated with as many options/class features as D&D I think having electronic reference is almost a necessity.

LudicSavant
2023-03-06, 05:58 AM

Thanks.

Useful tool. If the players aren't paying attention, the primary, root problem probably isn't the electronics.

nickl_2000
2023-03-06, 07:28 AM
Useful tool. If the players aren't paying attention, the primary, root problem probably isn't the electronics.

I agree with this here. We use electronics at our table. The DM uses a laptop projected onto a TV laid down for the battlemap in some cases (in others an actual battlemap, it all depends on the location and how much of a pain it would be to draw). All players have laptops with dndbeyond on them (or Pathbuilded depending on which person in the group is DMing).

We have 0 issues with being unprepared and distracted by them. Although I mentioned it before we are a mature group, both in personal age and how long we have been playing together (I'm the newbie and I've been playing for something like 10 years with this group). So, we run into a lot less problems than other tables.

Psyren
2023-03-06, 10:37 AM
Even when I game in persosn, I use my devices (phone + tablet) to multitask at the table all the time, especially if I'm not the focus of a given scene. I'm also the one who in most campaigns keeps the most copious and detailed notes, and who my DMs turn to most frequently for the session recaps. Also also, I'm usually the fastest player to look up things like conditions, spells, or statblocks on the fly, saving the DMs and less experienced players from needing to do that.

In short, I don't see technology as being inherently problematic at the table. If you already have issues with a player paying attention, readily available distractions can exacerbate that, but they are generally not the root cause of said issues.

KorvinStarmast
2023-03-06, 10:42 AM

And that ended it. Well played.

I'm also the one who in most campaigns keeps the most copious and detailed notes, and who my DMs turn to most frequently for the session recaps. Heh, you and me both. I have finally unloaded that in a couple of the games I now play. I keep a few notes in CoS, but our Paladin players is more of our chronicler. In my brothers shared world, if I don't keep the chronicles nobody does. :smallfurious:

J-H
2023-03-06, 10:43 AM
The 5e spell list app on my phone is hugely helpful, and far faster than flipping through books to find the precise wording if the one-line spell summary on my sheet isn't enough... especially since I don't usually write down what book a particular spell came from.

truemane
2023-03-06, 10:53 AM
I used to be a hardliner about this but in recent years, as in so many other places, I've started being less about hardcore rule-setting and more about good faith spot-checking.

Some people can have electronics in front of them and not get distracted. Some people can't. Some people who are usually pretty good have bad days, and vice versa.

So when I see someone being distracted enough that it's impacting the rest of the group. I address it in the moment. The second or third time I call their name and they look up from their phone and say "What?" I just say, politely, gently, something like "You're slowing the game down. Could you either leave the table to handle what you need to handle or put your phone down and focus?"

I also mention this in my Session 0. If someone has a thing they need to manage, leave the table, manage it, and come back. Anyone sitting at the table I expect is paying attention to what's happening."

If someone requires more than one or two nudges at the table, I'll have one talk with them away from the table. Depending on how that goes, maybe I don't invite them to play next time.

Oramac
2023-03-06, 04:37 PM
I'm also the one who in most campaigns keeps the most copious and detailed notes

Same, with the stated caveat that I take notes from my character's perspective. If my character wasn't present or didn't see it, I don't write it down.

The 5e spell list app on my phone is hugely helpful...

This.

I have become more lax about electronics recently, though I still have a general rule banning them for teenage group I DM for. I'll let them get away with it most of the time, but I've had to put my foot down just enough that they [usually] remember to pay attention.

sithlordnergal
2023-03-06, 04:44 PM
I find it to be a handy tool more than a distraction, as both a player and DM. Being able to instantly pull up a spell, reference a stat sheet, look up a rule, or check a ruling is extremely handy.

As for it being a distraction, I'm of two minds:

1) A distracted player is going to be distracted, doesn't matter if its via phone or not

2) As long as we don't need to do a recap, and it doesn't distract the entire table, then its fine to be distracted at times.

Easy e
2023-03-06, 04:50 PM
I really do not care. They are choosing how to use their time, as long as it does not impact anyone else it really does not matter.

If I see folks are not paying attention, I first try to shift the spotlight to them a lot. If that fails to keep them engaged, I just keep the spotlight away from them and let them do what they actually seem to want to do; play on their phone. This applies if I am GM or a Player as both can easily shift the spotlight around as needed.

Some times people are more engaged than others in a particular session. It happens to me sometimes too.

Psyren
2023-03-06, 05:29 PM
Same, with the stated caveat that I take notes from my character's perspective. If my character wasn't present or didn't see it, I don't write it down.

I do both IC and OOC notes (because if I don't, we're usually screwed :smallbiggrin:)

1) A distracted player is going to be distracted, doesn't matter if its via phone or not

2) As long as we don't need to do a recap, and it doesn't distract the entire table, then its fine to be distracted at times.

This.

animorte
2023-03-06, 05:33 PM
I do both IC and OOC notes (because if I don't, we're usually screwed :smallbiggrin:)
Same! I do my best do keep the notes separate. When my brother DMs, each session will start off with me providing a brief recap. However, my wife requires no such assistance.

Laserlight
2023-03-06, 06:31 PM
In a game as complicated with as many options/class features as D&D I think having electronic reference is almost a necessity.

That turns out not to be the case. It's helpful to have it when you're preparing the character sheet -- but at the table, you don't need *all* the options and class features, you just need *yours*. Print out your character sheet and a summary of your spells, that's all you need. Having your phone at the table is in no way necessary to play the game.

I will concede that some people need a fidget spinner, and them looking at their phone is slightly less annoying than them clicking a pen nonstop.

I will also concede that not every game is 100% enthralling 100% of the time. I may have checked my own phone a time or two, when the ranger has gone into lengthy detail about his hunting procedure, or paladin is dithering over what to do.

sithlordnergal
2023-03-06, 06:44 PM
That turns out not to be the case. It's helpful to have it when you're preparing the character sheet -- but at the table, you don't need *all* the options and class features, you just need *yours*. Print out your character sheet and a summary of your spells, that's all you need. Having your phone at the table is in no way necessary to play the game.

I will concede that some people need a fidget spinner, and them looking at their phone is slightly less annoying than them clicking a pen nonstop.

I will also concede that not every game is 100% enthralling 100% of the time. I may have checked my own phone a time or two, when the ranger has gone into lengthy detail about his hunting procedure, or paladin is dithering over what to do.

Depends on the class, subclass, and who is playing what. For example, I wouldn't need a reference sheet outside of my character sheet for, say, a Fighter/Rogue. They just don't do enough to warrant one. I know what I'm gonna do, I know how I'm gonna do it, not much is gonna change from levels 1 to 20.

But for my level 20 Moon Druid that regularly uses 19 different animals for Wildshape and Polymorph, has four elemental forms, has 23 different forms for the Shapechange spell, on top of their standard Druid spell list pulling from all published books, magic items, and 8 different things that I simply gained from adventuring, ranging from a simple bonus spell slot to allies? Yeah...I'm gonna use an electronic sheet for that, and I'll be using the internet to look up stats of stuff I can/will turn into, as well as to quickly look up a spell that I prepared but rarely use. I don't often use Antipathy/Sympathy, but when it comes in handy, it comes in really handy.

Same holds true for my Paladin/Sorcerer/Druid. Or my Tabaxi Monk/Barbarian/Fighter. Just have too many things to fit on one physical sheet. I also tend to use it to quickly look up the Wild Magic Sorcerer table, cause I tend to play those a lot.

stoutstien
2023-03-06, 06:45 PM
Indifferent as long as the tech isn't mandatory to play.

Damon_Tor
2023-03-06, 07:15 PM
At my tables we'll usually have the DM with his device(s) and one player who is the "captain" who has theirs. It's discouraged for anyone else. The captain is selected by whoever is (a) really good at looking stuff up quickly and having a good sense of what's going to need to be looked up and (b) is unlikely to be distracted by the device. Often the other players will tell the captain what they intend to do in their next turn so the captain can have the spell text ready, relevant stat blocks for a summon, that sort of thing, so while the DM is handling whoever's turn it is to take their action and resolve that, whoever has their turn coming up next will be discussing that turn with the captain.

Oramac
2023-03-07, 10:05 AM

Nope!! It's all in character. If Jim Bob across the table didn't write it down, too bad. Guess it didn't happen. I've gotten more than a few people to start taking their own notes this way. It's harsh, but it works.

Psyren
2023-03-07, 10:37 AM
Nope!! It's all in character. If Jim Bob across the table didn't write it down, too bad. Guess it didn't happen. I've gotten more than a few people to start taking their own notes this way. It's harsh, but it works.

Eh, I might gripe for comedic effect but I like being the group's scribe. When people are used to coming to you for answers to story questions, they more easily turn to you with rules questions as well, and that's my bread and butter :smallcool:

stoutstien
2023-03-07, 10:38 AM
Eh, I might gripe for comedic effect but I like being the group's scribe. When people are used to coming to you for answers to story questions, they more easily turn to you with rules questions as well, and that's my bread and butter :smallcool:

I hear that. I'm also the party scribe and I write in steno so they can't even copy it without serious assistance.

Also protects my DM notes.

Lalato
2023-03-10, 01:10 AM
My preference is pen and paper. But modern problems require modern solutions.

Due to people moving around during the pandemic, we now have two players who are permanently remote. So we've devised a system for hybrid play. Unfortunately, that system requires devices at the table to make it work.

Posted about our setup in the Mad Science and Grumpy Technology forum. (can't link directly yet)

Dork_Forge
2023-03-10, 01:27 AM
It's a tool, stuff like this will always be about the player, not the thing they're being distracted by.

The same player browsing can be distracted reading irrelevant parts of a book, making dice stacks, or just day dreaming.

And no matter what the distraction, it should always be handled with a discussion and consideration.

Corsair14
2023-03-10, 11:45 AM
Distraction for the most part. But with younger players like one in our group, he does everything though his tablet aside from rolling dice while the rest of us use pen and paper. It's what they are used to.

Mastikator
2023-03-15, 02:46 AM

Where are these great amazing players who will print out their class and race features and how can I get them into my game?

Dork_Forge
2023-03-15, 10:02 AM
Where are these great amazing players who will print out their class and race features and how can I get them into my game?

My question is more, where are these players that have printers?

Pixel_Kitsune
2023-03-15, 10:21 AM
Tool. Tools can be abused and cause stress when people goof off. But back in my at the table days I kept my smart phone to quickly reference and look up things.

Now that i play via jitsi, of course electronics are up, and as a DM I'd hate to always cycle books, I love having webpages open for everything possible and the book as just a single reference in hand.

Tanarii
2023-03-15, 10:47 AM
IMX Electronics are inevitably a distraction. As are books, e.g. the PHB. I don't allow either at my tables. I've played at plenty of tables with either, and it always slows down game play.

Players will even spend inordinate amounts of time staring at their character sheets and spell cards. But there is a limited amount of access to new info there, and no ability to instantly reference outside of it. So the ability to become distracted from playing your character instead of looking up buttons to push or trying to find combos in game rules or go into the rabbit hole of Reddit or gaming forums is limited.

I do understand the benefits. As a simple example, I do allow, and even strongly recommend, spell cards. Even though they definitely distract spell casters, having the info at their fingertips speeds things up overall. But my experience is electronic devices always outweigh the downsides.