PDA

View Full Version : Can The Runechild Work in Melee?

ChaseC311
2023-03-04, 11:37 PM
Taldorei Reborn is a Homebrew sourcebook for Critical role released in 2022. With it came a revamping of several unofficial subclasses made for the setting, one of which being the Runechild Sorcerer.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links on the forums but the Taldorei Reborn Runechild is on wikidot. You just have to make sure it isn't the original version of the Runechild when searching for it

One of the biggest changes that came to the subclass in the Taldorei Reborn book was their expanded spell list, which allows them to swap out one spell from the list with a Transmutation or Abjuration spell from the warlock, wizard, or sorcerer spell list when they level up

My idea was potentially a runechild sorcerer with Quickened Spell, Armor of Agathys and booming blade. They use their action for booming blade and their BA to quicken spells with their sorcery points (the first round most likely being Armor of Agathys. All rounds after that can be whatever as long as they have the points), which become charged runes they can use to reduce incoming damage with Glyphs of Aegis and prolong the shelf life of their armor of Agathys. I was also potentially thinking of taking the tough feat for the extra HP just in case. Would this be a viable build for a melee sorcerer?

Other ideas for metamagic could be transmuted spell to change Armor of Agathys' damage type, or twinned spell for combat buffs like Haste. Thoughts?

Any and all feedback is appreciated of course ^-^

DarknessEternal
2023-03-05, 04:46 PM
No. You're going to run out of spell slots and sorcery points far too quickly to make this a day long style while barely impacting the battlefield. And if you're using the spells that actually impact the battlefield, instead of what you've described, you don't need what you've described.

Sorinth
2023-03-05, 11:04 PM
It will probably be rough at low levels so you'd probably need to stay out of melee until you can upcast AoA high enough and have enough slots/sorcery points to fuel the Glyph. But other then that it should work out alright, it's one of the few builds that might actually use Blade Ward. You should probably save the quicken spells for the big fights and stick to the more efficient 1 SP for 2d6 protection BA for the non-major fights.

For Races, either Goliath or the new Earth Genasi would probably make the most sense. I wouldn't bother with Tough, when AoA falls and you aren't going to recast just get out of melee and be a more normal sorcerer.