PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A wind walk spell

da newt
2023-03-06, 02:49 PM
What happens to your gear when you assume the gaseous form?

Wind Walk
6 transmutation
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 30 feet
Target: You and up to ten willing creatures you can see within range
Components: V S M (Fire and holy water)
Duration: 8 hours
Classes: Druid
You and up to ten willing creatures you can see within range assume a gaseous form for the duration, appearing as wisps of cloud. While in this cloud form, a creature has a flying speed of 300 feet and has resistance to damage from nonmagical weapons. The only actions a creature can take in this form are the Dash action or to revert to its normal form. Reverting takes 1 minute, during which time a creature is incapacitated and can’t move. Until the spell ends, a creature can revert to cloud form, which also requires the 1-minute transformation.
If a creature is in cloud form and flying when the effect ends, the creature descends 60 feet per round for 1 minute until it lands, which it does safely. If it can’t land after 1 minute, the creature falls the remaining distance.

nickl_2000
2023-03-06, 02:57 PM
Not sure if it's RAW, RAI, or any other acronym, but we played that it stayed with you and turned misty as well.

The whole point of this spell if for fast travel, and if you drop all your equipment then it is completely worthless.

da newt
2023-03-06, 04:30 PM
Agreed - without your stuff going with you, it's all but useless.

If your stuff does go with you, Do you wear your stuff, or does it also turn into cloudy stuff? What is your cloudy form AC? What does it look like? A cloud wearing all their crap or just a cloud that has absorbed all its stuff?

nickl_2000
2023-03-07, 07:20 AM
If you are wearing your stuff, you would keep your same AC. As for looks, my mental image is the same form but more wispy.

Are you planning an attack on someone in this form? Because no matter the encounter someone who can move 600 ft per round is going to get out of combat really, really quickly.

da newt
2023-03-07, 10:04 AM
If your armor is no longer solid but is made of cloud I don't think it can protect you.

I'm DMing and my party is probably going to encounter some baddies while they are in cloud form, so I'm trying to think it through.

RogueJK
2023-03-07, 10:22 AM
I'd treat it just like the lower level Gaseous Form spell, which explicitly states that your gear melds into your gaseous form.

As for AC, if it helps, the unofficial answer from Chris Perkins (part of the 5E design team) is that becoming gaseous "does not change your AC, because magic".

I tend to agree with that interpretation. But that's up to you as the DM.