PDA

View Full Version : Looking for LE replacement for a Succubus encounter

smetzger
2023-03-06, 11:35 PM
I am running Forge of Fury as an intro to Red Hand of Doom.
In Forge of Fury there is a Succubus who is trapped and can only leave if attacked by someone of good alignment or given permission to leave.

I'd like to use her as a re-occurring villain.

Red Hand of Doom has LE foes and demons. What would be a good replacement for the Succubus?
Looking for...
Lawful Evil
CR 7ish
Can Teleport
Can change shape to appear human
long lived or immortal preferably an outsider

Any ideas?

Zanos
2023-03-07, 12:16 AM
Pleasure Devil is the LE equivalent, but is CR 11. Could just whip up a lesser one with lower stats, less HD, and remove the stronger SLAs.

Crake
2023-03-07, 01:48 AM
Pleasure Devil is the LE equivalent, but is CR 11. Could just whip up a lesser one with lower stats, less HD, and remove the stronger SLAs.

Pleasure devil would be the lilitu equivalent, succubus equivalent would be the erinyes, which pleasure devils evolve from.

Cr8, have charm monster at will just like a succubus, and have a kinky bondage rope instead of life drain.

They don’t have change shape though, but they are described as masquerading as angels.

A hat of disguise, or 1 level in egoist psion (shouldnt increase their CR as its a nonassociated class) for minor change shape could solve that issue though. Just tuck the wings in and change shape.

Zanos
2023-03-07, 04:04 AM
Eryines don't serve a similar role in Devil society, they're warriors.

Crake
2023-03-07, 07:36 AM
Eryines don't serve a similar role in Devil society, they're warriors.

So? This isnt for a position in a heirarchy, its for a role in a story. Erinyes fit most of the role requirements requested by the OP, without being too strong, and can evolve into a pleasure devil later down the line when the players get stronger themselves.

Segev
2023-03-07, 07:47 AM
I am running Forge of Fury as an intro to Red Hand of Doom.
In Forge of Fury there is a Succubus who is trapped and can only leave if attacked by someone of good alignment or given permission to leave.

I'd like to use her as a re-occurring villain.

Red Hand of Doom has LE foes and demons. What would be a good replacement for the Succubus?
Looking for...
Lawful Evil
CR 7ish
Can Teleport
Can change shape to appear human
long lived or immortal preferably an outsider

Any ideas?
Seconding Erinyes as your best bet for the Devil equivalent of a Succubus.

Also, the 5e version of Forge of Fury leaves out entirely the "if attacked by a good person" thing. Which makes me wonder what else about that encounter is left out. There's nothing about how she's bound or what her motives are beyond spreading rumors to draw more adventurers into her clutches.

Biggus
2023-03-07, 08:32 AM
There's also the Harvester Devil (FC1 p.117).

Metastachydium
2023-03-07, 09:22 AM

FC2, actually, and it is a better fit than the Erinyes: it's exactly CR7, can Teleport, gets Disguise Self at-will and an ability to mask its alignment and get good people to do bad things.

smetzger
2023-03-07, 10:14 AM

ooh, perfect and adds some interesting infiltration abilities.

Thanks

ShurikVch
2023-03-07, 04:16 PM
I see OP already made the choice

But, just in case, - alternative variant:

Fallen Hound Archon (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/archon.htm#houndArchon) (example of such was in the Hate of the Cobra (https://web.archive.org/web/20160816193602/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) article)
Two levels in Beguiler (or Jester from Dragon Compendium)
Single level in the Fiend of Corruption (Fiend Folio) - it would grants Alternate Form to look Humanoid

Chronos
2023-03-07, 04:42 PM
For what it's worth, 3.0 explicitly said that erinyes were the devilish equivalent of succubi. Though the lore there changed considerably between 3.0 and 3.5.