PDA

View Full Version : Beast Claws and Beast Strike

eBarbarossa
2023-03-10, 09:46 AM
So Beast Claws ist a magic item from Savage species and Beast Strike is a feat from Dragon Mag 355.

Let's say I have a character with natural claws, Beast Claws equipped and the Improved Unarmed Strike and Beast Strike feats. No enhancement bonus to unarmed strike (UAS), but Beast Claws give +2 to claw attacks.

How do they work together?
1) When I use Beast Strike to add my claw damage to my unarmed strike damage, can I still attack with the claws?
2) Will the Beast Claws' enhancement bonus of +2 be added to the UAS attack roll? To the damage roll?
3) If I added other enchantments to the Beast Claws, like Bane or Ghost Touch, would they transfer to the UAS? (This might be different for enchantments that deal damage than for nondamaging enchantments, I don't know.)

Vodest
2023-03-10, 10:15 AM
To Answer your Questions:
1.) As per RAW, yes. Your unarmed strike becomes your primary weapon in this case, and your natural attacks you do afterwards (including your claws) become secondary attacks at the default -5 penalty.
2.) No, as it is only a direct enhancement bonus to your claw attack's damage.*
3.) Nope. Those would only be added to the Beast Claws themselves (As they are still +1 Spiked Gauntlets despite that). The bonus d6 damage they add to your standard claw attacks would not add to the UAS either - only to the Claw attacks you make.

Hope that clears things up!

Edit: Got a bit hung up there, pardon - Enhancement Bonuses, Strength bonuses and any other bonuses that you'd normally add to your Claw Attacks also do not apply. With spells and effects it's a bit iffy if they're applied to your claws directly, that would honestly require asking your GM directly.

Gruftzwerg
2023-03-10, 12:59 PM
So Beast Claws ist a magic item from Savage species and Beast Strike is a feat from Dragon Mag 355.

Let's say I have a character with natural claws, Beast Claws equipped and the Improved Unarmed Strike and Beast Strike feats. No enhancement bonus to unarmed strike (UAS), but Beast Claws give +2 to claw attacks.

How do they work together?
1) When I use Beast Strike to add my claw damage to my unarmed strike damage, can I still attack with the claws?
2) Will the Beast Claws' enhancement bonus of +2 be added to the UAS attack roll? To the damage roll?
3) If I added other enchantments to the Beast Claws, like Bane or Ghost Touch, would they transfer to the UAS? (This might be different for enchantments that deal damage than for nondamaging enchantments, I don't know.)

1) While you can combine regular Unarmed Strike with any Natural Weapon, the same can't be said about Beast Strike. Because to make use of the claws, you have to use that body part/limb to make your Unarmed Strike (fist in this case). You possible actions for that limb in this round doesn't refresh just because you "switch" the weapon used.
To give an analogy here: When you make a full attack with 2 daggers, drop one of em and draw another (3rd) dagger, you don't get more/refreshed attacks with it. Same when you switch from Unarmed Strikes to Claws. if you already used that limb, you can't use it anymore for any kind of other attacks.

2) Beast Strike sole lets you add the claw dmg onto your Unarmed Strike damage. You still do Unarmed Strikes. Any bonuses that apply to your "claw attacks" doesn't apply here.

3) No, for the same reason as in (2). The BS feat sole allows you to add the claw (or slam) dmg to your unarmed strikes and that's it.