PDA

View Full Version : What Tier Does The Knight Class Belong To?

Bartmanhomer
2023-03-12, 02:43 AM
Hello. I have a question about the Knight class. What tier does the Knight class belong to? :smile:

pabelfly
2023-03-12, 03:30 AM
Simple answer: Tier 5

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?600635-Why-each-class-is-in-its-tier-2019-update!

Long answer: remember that tiering is only an analysis of class features, averaged against a number of users. At a game table, player optimization and how it is used by the player in-game will influence its tier.

holbita
2023-03-12, 07:01 AM
Knights are... niche.

Basically you will be a good character in a party where you are the only martial (or the only tatgettable martial), and the rest of your party can benefit from someone preventing enemies from getting to them and asborbing damage. Then suddenly you don't need to bump your damage to keep yourself from being ignored over more succulent targets.

Like for example, a knight, a scout (hitting and moving away), a control wizard and an archer cleric would really benefit from a knight being in the party.

A knight, a TWF rogue, a summoner wizard and a melee cleric? your knight will be useless in that group.

We played not so long ago with a composition similar to the first one. We loved the knight, the amount of times we survived thanks to the ability it has to trap enemies around him was one of the main reasons the composition worked. But it was clear to us that the only way it works if it's the knight is alone in the front line, the moment the enemies have other targets to attack except the knight they will go for those, the knight does not do enough damage.

And if the knight is doing enough damage to be the target then it doesn't have feat space to trap people.

That's why it feels like such a bad class, because unless the party is structured around him he will feel useless, but if built around it's a decent class that allows for some parties to succeed that you will not see working out as well otherwise.

Chronos
2023-03-12, 07:27 AM
Honestly, most of the Knight's class features should have just been feats, making it basically a fighter who's chosen their feats in a particular way. And in fact, most of them can be approximated by existing feats. So it's like a fighter, but with less build versatility.

Gorthawar
2023-03-12, 01:16 PM
Someone once posted about letting knights build gestalt with marshal in a normal game. I always thought that a great idea.

Gnaeus
2023-03-15, 08:59 AM
Someone once posted about letting knights build gestalt with marshal in a normal game. I always thought that a great idea.

I love low tier gestalts. But the knight code is so restrictive that I don't usually bother with it. One of the better minor Marshal auras is bonus to damage when flanking. I'm not sure thats available to a knight (who loses bonus to attack when flanking, would they lose a hypothetical bonus to damage when flanking? RAW no. RAI, if it is dishonorable......). I guess it would still be better than knight. But if I wanted a T5 class to gestalt with marshal, Knight wouldn't make the top 5.

Bavarian itP
2023-03-15, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure thats available to a knight (who loses bonus to attack when flanking, would they lose a hypothetical bonus to damage when flanking? RAW no. RAI, if it is dishonorable......).

A Knight has no problem with other people flanking. Even if you choose to forgo your own bonus for roleplay reasons, there is no roleplay reason to deny the bonus to others. And if it bothers you, just choose a different aura.