PDA

View Full Version : Would a Warlock invocation that let you see invisible things be overpowered?

Segev
2023-03-13, 12:51 AM
There is an invocation for better-than-darkvision, for casting detect magic at will, for reading all writing, for casting speak with animals at will, and (gated by level nine of Warlock) to cast levitate at will. From this, I guess an Invocation to cast see invisibility at will would also be gated behind level nine or warlock. Though the jump at will and levitate at will seem a bit over-valued.

So, would see invisible at will be too much, and if not, does it need a prerequisite level or something?

Dork_Forge
2023-03-13, 01:00 AM
I think it's okay, particularly behind a level 7 prereq (this is the level for Ghostly Gaze, which is far more useful, if limited). Whether or not a Warlock would value such a niche thing that they'd actually blow an invocation on it is the better question.

solidork
2023-03-13, 01:11 AM
You'd need to limit it to only targeting yourself, but 7 is probably fine. Maybe 9 with a little bit of a sweetener? I could see it going as low as 5 if you made it somehow require your concentration.

Kane0
2023-03-13, 01:19 AM
Yeah seems fine, level 7 as suggested.

Putting together all these vision invocation would make for a fun warlock build, call it the all seeing or something

Mastikator
2023-03-13, 01:19 AM
I'd gate it at level 5. It's not as good as Ghostly Gaze. But on the other hand See Invisibility is not concentration so you could at least have it running all the time without interfering with other concentration spells.

Chronos
2023-03-13, 05:10 PM
For what it's worth, 3rd edition warlocks did have such an invoction, and it was a Least Invocation, meaning accessible to a 1st-level warlock (if there wasn't any other invocation that you wanted first, which there probably was). And it also granted (normal) darkvision at the same time (not the see-through-magical-darkness version of Devil's Sight).

Unoriginal
2023-03-13, 05:12 PM
There is an invocation for better-than-darkvision, for casting detect magic at will, for reading all writing, for casting speak with animals at will, and (gated by level nine of Warlock) to cast levitate at will. From this, I guess an Invocation to cast see invisibility at will would also be gated behind level nine or warlock. Though the jump at will and levitate at will seem a bit over-valued.

So, would see invisible at will be too much, and if not, does it need a prerequisite level or something?

Do you mean see invisible things at will, or have True Sight?

Rukelnikov
2023-03-13, 05:38 PM
I think its fine, I'd make it self only and tbh I think it's fine power wise at 1, but it feels so much a trap at 1 that I may gate it at 5 just so it doesn't become a trap.

Veldrenor
2023-03-13, 06:01 PM
You'd need to limit it to only targeting yourself, but 7 is probably fine. Maybe 9 with a little bit of a sweetener? I could see it going as low as 5 if you made it somehow require your concentration.

Wouldn't have to limit the target at all: See Invisibility is a self-only spell.

To the OP, See Invisibility at-will probably isn't too strong to exist, but gating it behind either 7 or 9 sounds like the right move. Any earlier and it both undermines the spell and prevents the DM from getting much fun out of Invisibility/Ethereal creatures.

KorvinStarmast
2023-03-13, 07:25 PM
Wouldn't have to limit the target at all: See Invisibility is a self-only spell.

I'd say 9th. Jump at will is ninth. FWIW.

J-H
2023-03-13, 08:35 PM
No, it's fine. How often does invisibility or the ethereal plane even come up? I'd make it a 5th level invocation, just to stay consistent with not handing out 2nd level spells at 2nd level.

Phhase
2023-03-13, 11:18 PM
I'd say 9th. Jump at will is ninth. FWIW.

Yeah but...that invocation kinda sucks, doesn't it?

Gignere
2023-03-13, 11:29 PM
Yeah but...that invocation kinda sucks, doesn't it?

For ninth level certainly but at level 3 it would actually be pretty good.

Yakmala
2023-03-14, 01:42 AM
There is already an invocation that partially covers this. Witch Sight allows a Warlock to see anyone concealed by illusion magic, which invisibility is. Though it technically would not allow you to see an invisible creature that gets its invisibility from a source other than magic.

Kane0
2023-03-14, 02:14 AM
There is already an invocation that partially covers this. Witch Sight allows a Warlock to see anyone concealed by illusion magic, which invisibility is. Though it technically would not allow you to see an invisible creature that gets its invisibility from a source other than magic.

Yes, at level 15. Its more about shapechangers and illusory disguises than it is about invisibility though.

I think if a warlock invests 4 or more invocations on their vision they may as well just get blindsight or truesight at that point

Joe the Rat
2023-03-14, 11:28 AM
Cast at-will invocations that mimic divination spells (detect magic, speak with animals, speak with dead) are gated to the same level as it would take as a caster to cast the spell. As a 2nd level spell, it's fair as a 3rd level invocation. If you find that too potent, go up from there. If you restrict this to just seeing the invisible (not seeing into the Border Ethereal), it really shouldn't be a problem. It's probably fine as-is, IMHO.

Keep in mind this should just be for things that are truly invisible. Feel free to bop players with a squeaky hammer if they try to pull "invisible to me because I am blinded / in a fog cloud / human."

Chronos
2023-03-14, 03:43 PM
I dunno, using an Arkentool on a player just for rules lawyering sounds a bit overkill, to me...

Joe the Rat
2023-03-15, 08:56 AM
I dunno, using an Arkentool on a player just for rules lawyering sounds a bit overkill, to me...

You might get a pigeon!