PDA

View Full Version : Characters from pop culture as D&D build?

sun_flotter
2023-03-13, 03:22 AM
Context time as always when I start a thread (also, hello): I was talking about Amadeus (the movie) with my best friend (they hate the movie with a burning passion, I find it funny but in a cute way, kinda like a kitty getting angry, but I digress) and they laughingly said that Salieri in the movie would be a bard (college of whispers)/paladin (oathbreaker) whereas in real life he'd most likely be a college of eloquence bard who later in life could have taken levels as either a cleric or a paladin (redemption according to them, but hey) as a way to highlight some of the key differences (which they already highlighted multiple times in the past but I love hearing them rent about it so I play dumb every time) and I thought it was an interesting take.

I think it's not uncommon for DMs to reference characters from pop culture in their games (sometimes heavily, sometimes not) or for players to base their character around an existing character (one of the players in my current group used to basically play Merlin as a sorcerer, with his friend playing a king Arthur inspired paladin in a previous campaign) but a lot of the time it seems to be pretty clean cut, and more often than not (I think) the character being referenced comes from an already magic setting, so there's not much to think about, but there are a whole lot more characters from any types of media that could be super interesting in a D&D game.

So basically (yeah, all of that just to ask this): what would characters from popular media be like as D&D builds? What would their class be? Would they all be vanilla humans or would some have other races ?

Note: this is not in the optic of making a game or anything, just to see what your thoughts on the matter are

Mastikator
2023-03-13, 04:33 AM
I once made a Tabaxi barbarian as a joke character based of Hello Kitty, she uses grapple to hug people. Does that count?

sun_flotter
2023-03-13, 05:00 AM
I once made a Tabaxi barbarian as a joke character based of Hello Kitty, she uses grapple to hug people. Does that count?

Absolutely does! Now I can't get the image of a buff Hello Kitty off my mind, I love it

Mastikator
2023-03-13, 05:09 AM
Absolutely does! Now I can't get the image of a buff Hello Kitty off my mind, I love it

I was actually inspired by a meme. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmhhCzLXUAIsxoS.jpg

Derges
2023-03-13, 05:21 AM
I've always wanted to play Yugi Mutou (Yu-Gi-Oh) as a wizard.

Lots of spells only need a slight flavour change to fit the context of the CCG and having spells written on actual cards could be a lot of fun at the table. Especially if you get to yell both in and out of character that the DM/BBEG has activated your trap card.

animorte
2023-03-13, 05:36 AM
There was an entire thread several months ago on this exact topic. List what class concept applies to any given popular character.

My very first D&D character (in 3.5e) was modeled after Kvothe.

Everybody knows Iron Man is just an Armorer Artificer. On the other hand, nobody can agree on what would best represent Aragorn.

I use various references to give people an idea of what D&D has the potential to be with things like, "we can make you a Pokemon trainer."

There are some YouTube channels that focus entirely on how to build characters from various games/movies/shows within the confines of D&D.

sun_flotter
2023-03-13, 06:23 AM
Everybody knows Iron Man is just an Armorer Artificer. On the other hand, nobody can agree on what would best represent Aragorn.

Aragorn is a ranger in my eyes, no one could ever change my mind about this

nickl_2000
2023-03-13, 06:37 AM
I made a character based on Gavroche from Les Mis. Human Rogue, Urchin background fits him perfectly and I copied his attitude in roleplaying.

He grew beyond what Gavroche did, but that is going to happen when a PC lives into level 17

Unoriginal
2023-03-13, 07:51 AM
Context time as always when I start a thread (also, hello): I was talking about Amadeus (the movie) with my best friend (they hate the movie with a burning passion, I find it funny but in a cute way, kinda like a kitty getting angry, but I digress) and they laughingly said that Salieri in the movie would be a bard (college of whispers)/paladin (oathbreaker) whereas in real life he'd most likely be a college of eloquence bard who later in life could have taken levels as either a cleric or a paladin (redemption according to them, but hey) as a way to highlight some of the key differences (which they already highlighted multiple times in the past but I love hearing them rent about it so I play dumb every time) and I thought it was an interesting take.

I think it's not uncommon for DMs to reference characters from pop culture in their games (sometimes heavily, sometimes not) or for players to base their character around an existing character (one of the players in my current group used to basically play Merlin as a sorcerer, with his friend playing a king Arthur inspired paladin in a previous campaign) but a lot of the time it seems to be pretty clean cut, and more often than not (I think) the character being referenced comes from an already magic setting, so there's not much to think about, but there are a whole lot more characters from any types of media that could be super interesting in a D&D game.

So basically (yeah, all of that just to ask this): what would characters from popular media be like as D&D builds? What would their class be? Would they all be vanilla humans or would some have other races ?

Note: this is not in the optic of making a game or anything, just to see what your thoughts on the matter are

Checking Tulok the Barbarian's youtube channel would probably be worth your while. He has made dozens of "how to play X character in D&D".

Personally, I came up with a build that I think represented Kratos from God of War as he is in the Norse saga pretty well: Scourge Aasimar Psi Warrior Fighter/Sword Bard, with Soldier Background.

What's important to note is that D&D characters are D&D characters, made to fit the D&D framework. Using pop culture as inspiration is pretty common and useful, but you're almost never having an 1:1 conversion.

manyslayer
2023-03-13, 08:29 AM
I run periodic XCrawls (dungeon crawling as a pay-per-view extreme sport) in which I provide pre-gen PCs, several of which are based on pop-culture/celebrities. Started running in 3.5 and now running in 5e.

Charles Shine (Charlie Sheen) (fighter) - former star of Two Men and a Halfling
Kid Stone (Kid Rock) (rogue/bard) - bard looking to honor his fallen barbarian girlfriend (Angela Pamerson)
Tim Longbow (Tim Tebow) (athlete - an xcrawl class)
Lindi "Little Croc" Erwin (Bindi Irwin, daughter of Steve Irwin) - ranger
Kaley Mirrus (Miley Cyrus) (cleric of Discord)
Stone Dog the Dwarven Bounty Hunter (Dog the Bounty Hunter) - ranger/fighter

Psyren
2023-03-13, 11:01 AM
I've always wanted to play Yugi Mutou (Yu-Gi-Oh) as a wizard.

Lots of spells only need a slight flavour change to fit the context of the CCG and having spells written on actual cards could be a lot of fun at the table. Especially if you get to yell both in and out of character that the DM/BBEG has activated your trap card.

I've done this concept as well, though I focused more on emulating the Nameless Pharaoh (Mulhorandi/Osirion with a Noble background) than his modern-day incarnation.

Diovid
2023-03-13, 12:10 PM
I'm failing my Wisdom saving throw to avoid taking the bait. He's a low level Fighter, possibly with a few Rogue levels. The Rangery stuff comes from his background, personality and race.

I like to imagine Link as a dex-based Thief Rogue 1 / Battlemaster Fighter 3 / Thief Rogue x who uses a Rapier + Shield. Thief Rogue allows climbing and use of gadgets. Eventually Thief Rogue allows you to use a Holy Avenger Rapier (the Mastersword).

Edit:
A slightly controversial build I have is for Doctor Strange. I feel he is best represented as a Tomelock with Fiend as his patron who uses Int instead of Cha for his abilities.

Unoriginal
2023-03-13, 12:20 PM
I like to imagine Link as a dex-based Thief Rogue 1 / Battlemaster Fighter 3 / Thief Rogue x who uses a Rapier + Shield. Thief Rogue allows climbing and use of gadgets. Eventually Thief Rogue allows you to use a Holy Avenger Rapier (the Mastersword).

None of the Links use a Rapier, though.

I'm of the opinion the Links from the different builds are all build differently (ex: Skyward Sword's Link is clearly a Bladelock or maybe even an Hexblade), but he's definitively known for using what in D&D terms is a longsword + shield.

Diovid
2023-03-13, 12:23 PM

I'm of the opinion the Links from the different builds are all build differently (ex: Skyward Sword's Link is clearly a Bladelock or maybe even an Hexblade), but he's definitively known for using what in D&D terms is a longsword + shield.
I know. That's the consequence of making him dex-based and a Rogue. He definitely uses a longsword but I just can't see him as Str-based.

Rynjin
2023-03-13, 12:30 PM
I've done this concept as well, though I focused more on emulating the Nameless Pharaoh (Mulhorandi/Osirion with a Noble background) than his modern-day incarnation.

He's not nameless, actually. His name is Atem. (https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Pharaoh_Atem)

I don't know if that's ever stated in the dub though, he might just be referred to as "the Pharaoh" in the dub.

Unoriginal
2023-03-13, 12:55 PM
I know. That's the consequence of making him dex-based and a Rogue. He definitely uses a longsword but I just can't see him as Str-based.

Twilight Princess Link and Breath of the Wild Link are definitively STR-based, at least.

He's not nameless, actually. His name is Atem. (https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Pharaoh_Atem)

I don't know if that's ever stated in the dub though, he might just be referred to as "the Pharaoh" in the dub.

I think them finding his name was a big plot point for at least a season.

Psyren
2023-03-13, 01:06 PM
He's not nameless, actually. *snip*

I know his name, I was trying to be considerate with potentially spoilery information :smallsigh:

Rynjin
2023-03-13, 01:11 PM
I know his name, I was trying to be considerate with potentially spoilery information :smallsigh:

:smallsigh: indeed. My apologies for not immediately understanding that you were so dedicated to preserving spoilers so minor I had forgotten they were even spoilers from a show that is over 20 years old.

Psyren
2023-03-13, 01:16 PM
:smallsigh: indeed. My apologies for not immediately understanding that you were so dedicated to preserving spoilers so minor I had forgotten they were even spoilers from a show that is over 20 years old.

Apology accepted!

Even if I could build him "better" with a fighter/rogue or similar, I'm happy with him as a Ranger. (Besides, if I want to reduce the spellcasting aspects, that's what multiclassing is for.)

Pixel_Kitsune
2023-03-13, 02:17 PM
Throw a list I can probably class them (not to say everyone would agree).

Funny enough I've used Warlocks for a BUNCH of things, it's almost like having a smaller pool of more frequent and potent abilities fits most fiction. :)

I made Aizen from Bleach as a Hexblade Warlock. Chose the At will illusions and tricks along with the more potent illusion options and talked to my DM about swapping out the summon shade for some additional illusion stuff the Warlock doesn't have.

I made Kaladin from Stormlight, but it was a mess, Hexblade Lock, Ancients Paladin, Graviturgy Mage, but was a lot of fun.

GooeyChewie
2023-03-13, 02:34 PM

Agreed. I once had several Link builds mocked up in D&D Beyond. Skyward Sword was Hexblade/Oath of Devotion, with Fi as the patron and Courage as his primary tenet.

The one from The Adventure of Link turned out to be super easy. Eldritch Knight! Many of his spells in that game would be Abjuration/Evocation, so no multiclassing was required to get almost everything.

I do recall one version was a Halfling Rogue, with a short sword, to represent young Link in OoT. I’m forgetting what all I had done for the others. I know Ranger made an appearance (I think on Breath of the Wild), and I may have given Twilight Princess just enough Druid to sometimes go Wolf form.

Pixel_Kitsune
2023-03-13, 02:43 PM

I got challenged to play a Link like character in a game and leaned into Hyrule Warriors, he ended up being a Hexblade 3/Crown Paladin 6/Fighter 2 by the end. Definitely felt like I was playing that version of link but I'm pretty sure it would not work if you were trying to play Skyward or LttP.

As an aside I think I'd make LttP an artificer...

Dienekes
2023-03-13, 03:31 PM
Twilight Princess Link and Breath of the Wild Link are definitively STR-based, at least.

I think them finding his name was a big plot point for at least a season.

Ocarina of Time Link used big heavy weapons all the time, but thankfully he had various magic bracers to help him lift things.

Which actually brings us an issue with creating Link, in my opinion. Because there's often going to be a separation between what Link the character can do, and what all his various magic items can do. Often, Link himself is often (but definitely not always) just a Fighter with the Sweeping Attack maneuver, of all things. But, his magic items give him all sorts of wacky toys.

On that note, I once tried to do Ganondorf, as a (desert) Goliath with the Outlander background (musical instrument: Organ) as a Hexblade/Conquest Paladin. Worked well enough with a wee bit of homebrewing.

Lavaeolus
2023-03-13, 07:42 PM
I threw together something for two Discworld characters back in a previous thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25038636&postcount=61) about recreating characters. Sam Vimes and Rincewind specifically, although the latter was deliberately a bit of a joke build.

Obviously you can also scroll through that thread for the builds other people plotted! I remember one for Doctor Who's Doctor, another for Judy Hopps, all sorts.

sun_flotter
2023-03-14, 05:10 AM

In terms of flavor, I feel like paladin would better fit Link, and just hear me out about this one: Link is reincarnated over and over by the same goddess, and spends every single life he has to fight in her name, fighting against the same evil every time in her name. So to me he definitely is a paladin (I wanna say Oath of the Ancients but I'm not sure about that), no way around that, although he probably would have levels in rogue.

animorte
2023-03-14, 05:31 AM
I would like to drop Artificer in the hat for this Link discussion. He's got so many fancy tools.

RossN
2023-03-14, 05:41 AM
One of the issues with transferring figures from other media to D&D is that D&D is very, very magic heavy. D&D Bards for instance are not simply silver tongued scoundrels or lute carrying jack (or jills) of all trades but are potent and versatile spellcasters.

That isn't so bad if you are trying to transfer a supernatural figure or a superhero or something but otherwise you are probably going to see a lot of Fighters and Rogues with the occasional Monk.

Leon
2023-03-14, 05:57 AM
One of the issues with transferring figures from other media to D&D is that D&D is very, very magic heavy. D&D Bards for instance are not simply silver tongued scoundrels or lute carrying jack (or jills) of all trades but are potent and versatile spellcasters.

That isn't so bad if you are trying to transfer a supernatural figure or a superhero or something but otherwise you are probably going to see a lot of Fighters and Rogues with the occasional Monk.

That's why its better to use the character as a basis of inspiration than to try and match it as much as possible, things out of D&D seldom are neatly fit into its categorization.

Unoriginal
2023-03-14, 07:19 AM
That's why its better to use the character as a basis of inspiration than to try and match it as much as possible, things out of D&D seldom are neatly fit into its categorization.

Indeed.

Even if you take characters from magic-rich settings, the D&D magic system is unlikely to match said settings' framework.

sun_flotter
2023-03-17, 02:30 AM

Which is why I asked this. If any character could be copied and pasted onto D&D with ease, this thread wouldn't have any reason to exist, but not every character can be copy-pasted in D&D. You need to make adjustements or look at the character (or D&D mechanics) from a whole new angle.
I think a great example of that is the Hello Kitty barbarian mentionned earlier: Hello Kitty is a little cat girl going on about her life. Nothing in that screams "barbarian tabaxi" and that's the fun of it. Grapple was made into a hug to fit her character, and I think it's really fun. A basic game mechanic was slightly altered to fit her needs. It doesn't really change anything to D&D, but it's fun and entertaining to think about

Ir0ns0ul
2023-03-18, 05:14 AM
Aragorn is so much a Ranger that he achieved level 9 at his base class during the Battle of Pelennor in Minas Tirith, then he took the overpowered spell Conjure Animals, and he flavored his pack of 8 wolves as the ghostly Army of the Dead using the personalization advices from TCoE. At least in the movie…

Ogre Mage
2023-03-18, 06:05 AM
While Raven from the mid 2000s Teen Titans cartoon is technically a fiend warlock, I re-imagined her as shadow sorcerer. It worked well. I've considered playing her again as an aberrant mind sorcerer.

I've considered playing Daenerys Targaryen as a draconic bloodline sorcerer but the final season was so bad I lost interest.

Pex
2023-03-18, 10:09 AM
Aang is a Circle of the Stars druid who prepares Elemental spells as opposed to any spell dealing with plants or animals. Using Wild Shape to become a Constellation is the Avatar State.

Hawk7915
2023-03-18, 10:29 AM
Will also rep Tulok the Barbrarian's Youtube Channel - dude is funny and does good work, and is approaching a whopping 500 fictional characters as D&D builds (comicbook heroes and villains, video game characters especially from Nintendo, and anime characters are a decent chunk of that but there's plenty of more obscure stuff or even more grounded mortal characters like Indiana Jones, John McClane, etc.)

I had the thought experiment a while back about Magic: the Gathering Planeswalkers as D&D Characters, which was fun. Some are obvious and basically build themselves...

- Jace Beleren is a Human Illusionist Wizard
- Teferi is a Human Chronurgy Wizard
- Ajani Goldmane is a Leonin Life Domain Cleric with possibly a few Fighter or Ranger levels for better melee prowess with his double axe.
- Chandra Nalaar is a Human Sorcerer using the Pyromancer Sorcerous Origin from the UA, possibly with a 2-level artificer dip for her origins on Khaladesh.
- Nissa Revane is a straight Elf Druid, although I sorta like the still-UA Circle of the Primeval for her propensity to bond with "world spirits" and smash people with gigantic elementals. But Land (Forest) is a fine representation of her too.
- Garruk Wildspeaker is a Human Beastmaster Ranger, possibly with a brief Barbarian (Totem) dip if you really want that Apex Predator vibe.
- Liliana Vess is a bit spicier, but I think she makes sense as a Human Fiend Warlock that avoids all the fiend spells in favor of necromancy, with a cleric dip for a dash of healing. Helps that there is a pact boon for Animate Dead now.
- Sarkahn Vol is...yawn...a Dragon Sorcerer who loves wading into melee with a spear and spamming polymorph spells.
- As one I'm sorta proud of - Samut is a Human Horizon Walker Ranger 11 / Drunken Master Monk 9 for a blistering speedster (55' base movement speed, possibly +10' from Longstrider and another possible +10 after a Flurry of Blows, possibly all doubled up by Haste, with the option to either Dash or Misty Step on a bonus action). Build has way, way too many uses for their Bonus Action but could also

Some I found a lot tougher though...
- I think I'd do Sorin Markov as a Dhampir Hexadin, but am unsure on the Paladin subclass or if he even needs it...or if it'd be better to do him as a Hexblade Sorlock so that he could get Dominate Person, sadly not on the Warlock spell list.
- I actually think I like Karn best as a Warforged Creation Bard, but I understand most would want him as a Battlesmith Artificer. Wonder if its worth splitting the difference and multiclassing the two?
- Wrenn is actually very obviously a Circle of Wildfire Druid, but there is no easy race for "Dryads" currently in core forcing you to go Custom Lineage or homebrew.
- Kaya is predominately a Phantom Rogue (need at least 13 levels for Ghost Walk), but then I get torn on Grave Cleric vs Shadow Sorcerer vs more Rogue levels vs Something else to fill her out with spellcasting capabilities.
- Arlinn Kord is a Shifter, but I have no idea on class(es)...
- No clue how one can do Vraska in D&D...best shot is probably Yuan-ti Undead Warlock to at least 11th (for Flesh to Stone), maybe with some Swashbuckler Rogue levels thrown in?

animorte
2023-03-18, 10:38 AM
I had the thought experiment a while back about Magic: the Gathering Planeswalkers as D&D Characters, which was fun. Some are obvious and basically build themselves...
I really like this entire list and will be sharing it with my brother.

- Arlinn Kord is a Shifter, but I have no idea on class(es)...
- I think Druid would work, and focus on wolves for summons. Or perhaps a bit of Beast Barbarian.
- I could see Liliana as a Spores Druid as well.
- Vraska would need a bit of Rogue, but otherwise I'm not sure either.

I think Asami from Legend of Korra is an Artificer, probably Armorer, maybe a couple Rogue levels. Definitely focused on tool proficiencies and probably spams shocking grasp.

Unoriginal
2023-03-20, 08:46 AM
Twilight Sparkles is a Pact of the Tome Celestial Warlock.

sun_flotter
2023-03-20, 10:02 AM
Twilight Sparkles is a Pact of the Tome Celestial Warlock.

I love the idea of any character originally meant for children (although one could argue that MLP is for any age) as a Warlock, the clash between "cute and wholesome" and "I sold my soul for power" is often hilarious. My DM once ran a game with Santa as the BBEG, Santa there of course being a warlock... But I don't really remember the specifics, unfortunately

Unoriginal
2023-03-20, 10:38 AM
I love the idea of any character originally meant for children (although one could argue that MLP is for any age) as a Warlock, the clash between "cute and wholesome" and "I sold my soul for power" is often hilarious. My DM once ran a game with Santa as the BBEG, Santa there of course being a warlock... But I don't really remember the specifics, unfortunately

While the 5e Warlock does have the aesthetic and thematic associated with the concept, it's quite rare for them to actually sell their soul.

Mostly because the price of a soul is generally much higher than the spark of power given to a Warlock. You can find Fiends who gives you a Warlock Pact in exchange for an interesting magic item. You can also give your soul for the secret of how to turn yourself into a Lich, or become richer than some dragons by selling a couple of other people's souls (not even yours).

But yes, the contrast is pretty fun. Like for Cult of the Lamb.

windgate
2023-03-20, 11:46 AM

I could see an argument for the Mastersword being a shortsword (Mainly due to child link simply being able to pick it up). And that can be used with Dex.

Edit: Link below says that a short sword can have a blade up to 24 inches long. 24 inches + the hilt would be a significant percent of child link's size in Ocarina.
https://emperorsword.com/short-sword-length/

Leon
2023-03-20, 06:13 PM
Master sword is a reflavoured Sun Blade ~ problem solved

tieren
2023-03-28, 12:39 PM
I enjoy building the X-men as DnD characters. Currently playing a Nightcrawler themed Bladesinger. Thinking of going beefier next and making Colossus.

IsaacsAlterEgo
2023-03-29, 10:08 AM
I made a fantasy-equivalent of John Wick as a vhuman battlemaster fighter with high strength, high dex, and low wisdom that used Crossbow Expert to use a hand crossbow to fight at melee range, seemed roughly equivalent to his fighting style in the movies and the maneuvers let you recreate a lot of his strategies like trip attack, disarming attack, and precision attack.

I also tried to make Scorpion from Mortal Kombat once. Ended up making a Reborn Hexblade Warlock/Sorcerer multiclass that used a quickened Eldritch Blast with Grasp of Hadar to pull people towards him (Get over here!) as a reflavored rope dart, and then used his action to make longsword attacks at whoever he brought close to him. I think Eldritch Knight fighter would also work instead of sorcerer to combine attacks and cantrips for the pull+attack combo, but you'd have to get to a pretty high level to be able to do it. Monk makes a lot of sense thematically, but I couldn't really figure out a way to make it work while still being able to pull people.

Oerkali
2023-03-29, 11:05 AM
I've made a character based on Westley/the Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride - he's a swashbuckler rogue/battlemaster fighter multiclass. Thematically it's appropriate for all the swashbuckling and fencing we see him do in the film, and mechanically it's quite effective against single enemies (just not so much against multiple foes). And of course he has a Periapt of Proof Against Poison. Now if only I could find a way to get iocane powder...

Also made quite a few characters based on various fantasy or isekai anime characters to hand out as pre-gens at events. The cast of Konosuba was the easiest, but there's also characters from DanMachi, Slayers, and so on.

george moshingt
2023-03-29, 02:08 PM
I once played kenpachi zaraki from bleach
I was a scourge asimar Zealot barbarian with a longsword and the tough feat.

I also gave myself disadvantage on all stealth checks by having a bunch of bells