PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with a backstory for a Tempest Cleric Warforged

caoshunter22
2023-03-13, 12:08 PM
So to provide a little bit info about my character he was originally created as a fancy looking prototype brewing/serving warforged named Ty'Con. He has an enlarged left forearm where he stores a gallon of beer that has a gauge to show the level of beer in the forearm and and one of his fingers can open up to pour beer in a glass. I took inspiration from the Keg Robot from Acquisitions Incorporated. Since Ty'Con has a brewer inside him he can only every have 4 gallons of drinkable beer at any given time. He served a noble house for a long time until whatever deity give him sentience. Since no one knew he had gained sentience Ty'Con was able to easily escape as no one really gave him a second glance when wandering around the estate. Being a tempest cleric I like the idea that there is a constant low level electrical current flowing throughout his body which causes the beer inside him to now hold an electrical charge. So when a creature drinks the beer it tingles their mouth because of a low level electrical shock. I'm not sure if this will be the final name of the beer but I thought it would be funny for Ty'Con to call his beer "Jolting Jouster". The campaign is Dungeon of the Mad Mage and have access to all source books. I like the character idea but I don't know what background would best suit this character, what he was doing in-between escaping the estate and becoming an adventurer, his reason to go to the Undermountain or which god to pick. Any help would be great.

solidork
2023-03-13, 01:09 PM
Things I consider when making a Cleric:

- Why has a god chosen to make your character their champion? Does your character know this reason?
- What was their reaction to having this connection with a god? Did they want to learn more about the deity and how to properly worship them?
- Does your god have any specific goals they want you to pursue?

An interesting direction to take it but which would require your DM to agree with; your character is one of many such beings that have recently gained sentience because of this divine intervention, and your character has been selected to be something of a leader to these new beings.

As for why a god of Storms/Thunder might have decided to get involved - maybe the process for creating beings like yourself relies on some relic of that god that was taken and repurposed? I'm just riffing here, but maybe someone in Undermountain (could be Halaster, could be someone else) was making warforged and selling them with the plan to "activate" them for some dark purpose later. The workshop where you were made is located somewhere in the Dungeon of the Mad Mage, so you need to go down there and find it and retrieve the relic.