PDA

View Full Version : Player Help D&D 3.5 Character Optimization help request.

samduke
2023-03-13, 06:35 PM
D&D 3.5 Character Optimization help request, as the title suggests

Things that are set in stone and can not change.
Attributes, Race and the first 5 levels, and a few feats.

going full 20 levels.
Character
Silverbrow Human, str 10 (Buffed to 16), dex 14 (Buffed to 16), con 17, int 15, wis 12, cha 21 (level increase to 22)
Feats <flaws for feats has been approved by GM and used>
Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persist), Worldly Focus, Reach Spell, Combat Casting, Dynamic Priest, Extend Spell, Extra Turning

Classes
Cloistered Cleric 3/ Dread Necromancer 1/ Mystic 1 (turn undead, rebuke dragons, rebuke undead)
Undeath Domain, Planning Domain, Sun Domain, Knowledge Domain

it has been gm ruled that the mystic class level counts as a cleric effectively

Now then the current idea is (these have all been approved by the gm)
6-9:Sovereign Speaker (Plant Domain)(Earth Domain)(Fire Domain)(Air Domain)+3 level of existing spellcasting class (cleric)
10:Divine Oracle (Water Domain) +1 level of existing spellcasting class (cleric) <via Substitute Domain *gm approved>
11:Divine Crusader (Competition Domain) +1 level of existing spellcasting class (cleric)
12:Contemplative (Time Domain) +1 level of existing spellcasting class (cleric)

*all other domains that use the language 3+cha mod turn/rebuke thing are not allowed*

this gets us to level 12 so I ask what might be perfect or highly optimized for the next 8 levels and still get +1 level of existing spellcasting class (cleric) for a total of 18 CL or 9th level divine spells.

Feat wise I am thinking Arcane Disciple(dread necromancer) grab the Spell Domain , Practiced Spellcaster pickup the caster levels to HD, and then point blank shot, precise shot - and other feats as required

beyond that any helpful suggestions/ideas would be welcome

Paragon
2023-03-14, 02:57 AM
Well tbh this looks messy to me.

Why does it feel you're trying to get as many domains as possible ? And if that's your goal, Holt Warden, Seeker of the Misty Isle as well as Wearer of Purple (which seems thematically fitting here) can help. But that much multiclassing will destroy your bab (which is fine of persisted Divine Power) and you will need to meet a lot of different prereqs.

It is not a full proof read that you can use every turn attempt pools to power you divine metamagic if that's your goal here. If you want infinite metamagic, going Spelldancer as a Necropolitan is much much better

Anyho, Arcane Disciple (Spell) is a bad idea for multiple reasons. First you can only cast 1st level spells as a Dread Necro which makes it underwhelming. Second, it's based on wisdom and third most important one ; multiclassing casters doesn't mean you know the caster1 spells on the caster2 list.
Practiced Spellcaster doesn't set CL to HD you might want to reread it.

Curbludgeon
2023-03-14, 03:21 AM
To clarify, this is using the Dragonlance version of the Sun domain, which grants turning, on a character which considers both the Mystic class and Divine Crusader prestige class to further casting as a cleric?

If that's the case, consider dropping Dread Necromancer (there's no synergy behind Arcane Disciple and Practiced Spellcaster here, unless you're using entirely different homebrew feats with confusing names), and using another domain slot from somewhere to grab the Dragonlance Necromancy domain.

It also looks as if your character is considering turn and rebuke pools which can't be applied to Divine Metamagic as if they do. If that's so it would be best to make that explicit. If that's the case very few feats would prove of more use than multiple instances of Extra Turning.

As for further levels, level 5 of Sovereign Speaker grants a domain and spell advancement, so it makes sense to usually either go for 5 or all 9 levels.

pabelfly
2023-03-14, 03:36 AM
I don't get why you want all of these domains either. You only get one domain slot per spell level, and a lot of domain powers are very situational or not worth the effort. What's the plan with having so many domains here, besides more = better?

What I'd think about going for is Prestige Paladin. It costs you a feat and a spell level, but Divine Grace is a really nice pickup, doubly so if you can get Serenity to boost your saves by your WIS stat instead of CHA. I know losing even a single caster levels is heresy around here, but not losing save rolls is a lot nicer in my opinion. You'll even get extra uses out of your Turn Undead (and arguably other Turning abilities since they function like Turn Undead) and you won't have to pump CHA so hard.

samduke
2023-03-14, 06:14 PM
RE: Arcane Disciple - I follow and agree it is not going to do what is expected

RE: Why so many domains.
First the GM has approved the elemental and plant domain to work with divine meta-magic.
Next : Domain spells: this I know...
These spells do not add spell slots
They do add to the spells known
They do not count against prepared spells
They are always prepared
* SO its a matter of pick n choose daily as it were.

shy of dread necromancer which can not change, every level is either Cleric, counts as cleric or advances the cleric casting to get 9th level cleric spells, to that end the character needs to see cleric caster level 17-18

RE: Practiced Spellcaster - never indicated it set the CL to HD I said "pickup the caster levels to HD" meaning - caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by +4 - and the chosen is Cleric

RE: Prestige Class Suggestions
Holt Warden: does offer full +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class, -To be Considered

Seeker of the Misty Isle: Race: Elf or Half-Elf- Race is set in stone and can not change - this can not be used

Wearer of Purple: does offer full +1 level of existing class, Domain list: Death, Dragon, Scalykind , & Rebuke sacred Ones (Su): Beginning at 10th level- which I will need to run past the GM

Death Domain: Granted Power: You may use a death touch once per day. -> this is interesting though the spells are meh.
Dragon & Scalykind Domains do not work for various reasons.

Keep up the suggestions - Thanx

Frostmoon
2023-03-14, 11:41 PM
Hmm...I've actually worked out a basic domain fisher build in the past; the big thing was that, after grabbing the domains, I put her through at least 8 levels of Runecaster, since that allows for her to better utilize the various domain abilities she picked up. Basically, runes (and things like scrolls or wands or the like) are a way of carrying around a whole slew of spells you know, but wouldn't otherwise be able to cast on-hand.

samduke
2023-03-15, 06:20 AM
while runecaster does offer full casting, and looks to ofer some interesting options, the craft requirements do present issues.

I think that with WOTC lack of prestige classes that offer full casting, I have gone through most if not all of them with various suggestions to include here.

thanx everyone for the suggestions this is closed