PDA

View Full Version : Action Economy question(s)-

TeChameleon
2023-03-15, 10:13 PM
As the title states, action economy question(s)- is there any official or quasi-official notes on the resolution of action orders? The specific example I ran into at my last session was that a Reaction (to receiving an attack) overrode my Bonus Action (Flurry of Blows) to go first. This, in turn, kind of sharply reduced the utility of one of my Open Hand class features (being able to remove the ability for Reactions with one of my Flurry of Blows attacks).

It's not something I expect to encounter often, but it'd be nice to know if there's any ruling beyond Rule 0 on it.

... also, as an aside, can a creature maintain a grapple while Stunned? Something else that came up briefly, and I wound up curious if there was anything official on it.

Marcloure
2023-03-15, 10:19 PM
As the title states, action economy question(s)- is there any official or quasi-official notes on the resolution of action orders? The specific example I ran into at my last session was that a Reaction (to receiving an attack) overrode my Bonus Action (Flurry of Blows) to go first. This, in turn, kind of sharply reduced the utility of one of my Open Hand class features (being able to remove the ability for Reactions with one of my Flurry of Blows attacks).

It's not something I expect to encounter often, but it'd be nice to know if there's any ruling beyond Rule 0 on it.

Xanathar's, page 5, says that "the reaction happens after its trigger completes, unless the description of the reaction explicitly says otherwise." That makes sense, when you react to something, it's after it's happened!

also, as an aside, can a creature maintain a grapple while Stunned? Something else that came up briefly, and I wound up curious if there was anything official on it.

RAW, I think so. I suggest the GM and the group come up if whether or not a stunned creature can still hold it's grapple firm. Not that a grapple isn't a martial arts lock, it's simply holding someone with your hand or tentacle.

JackPhoenix
2023-03-16, 11:50 AM
... also, as an aside, can a creature maintain a grapple while Stunned? Something else that came up briefly, and I wound up curious if there was anything official on it.

No. Grappled condition ends when the grappler is incapacitated, and stunned condition has incapatitated build in. And being stunned means the creature automatically fails Dex and Str saves, but not, funnily enough, Dex and Str ability checks... stunned creature can't avoid a Fireball, but *can* defend itself against shove and grapple attempts.