PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF 2e Chess

TheYell
2023-03-17, 09:14 PM
Waiting to recruit a whole party in my local game shop, I am stuck with just two players. I remembered the old old game Archon, and will set them to play PF 2e Chess.

All the pieces are really PF 2e monsters, with a cr of 23.

You play chess as normal, but when you attack an opposing piece, you don't automatically take it. You have to fight, attacker having initiative, and if the defender wins, the attacker is destroyed. The attacker can forfeit to yield his chess turn without moving.

Here's what I have for the pieces:

King Jabberwork
Queen Nyrissa the Nymph Queen
Bishop Solar Archangel
Knight Mengkare the Gold Dragon
Rook Denava Titan
Pawn Elder Wyrmwraith

It will not only pass some time, they are new to 2e and should get some practice in fighting tactics.

What do you think sirs?

TheYell
2023-03-19, 03:17 AM
While it sounds cool to use Level 23 monsters, it provides pieces with 600 hit points and they do about 100 damage a turn, so it takes a while.

Beelzebub1111
2023-03-22, 06:07 AM
While it sounds cool to use Level 23 monsters, it provides pieces with 600 hit points and they do about 100 damage a turn, so it takes a while.

I agree. Plus, if you're learning the game I'd go with a range of levels from -1 to 3. with varried basic abilities that get you a feel for the rules

Pawns: Goblin Warrior (basic mob, teaches how level differences affects crit ratio and how you should still expect to be hit occasionally by something weaker than you)

Rook: Animated Armor (Teaches about hardness and immunities)

Knight: Skeltal Champion (Fighter basics, shield block, and attack of oppurtunity)

Bishop: Kobold Dragon Mage (Spellcasting basics)

Queen: Drow Priestess (Level advantage, perpared spellcasting rules, poison)

King: Ifrit Pyrochemist. (Alchemy, Persistent Damage, Splash Damage)

TheYell
2023-03-22, 08:08 AM
Interesting, we can try it

Beelzebub1111
2023-03-22, 06:22 PM
Update me on how it goes, I'm interested in how it turns out.

I had a few ideas for how to improve:

1: For pawn promotions, the player turns the goblin warrior into one of the level 1 Bestiary goblins and gains movement like a king.

2: Defending players have the option to add any orthogonality adjacent pawns and promoted pawns to the combat to help teach flanking rules and team tactics.