PDA

View Full Version : How to Build a Spirit Guardian Dog for a Vaguely Venture Brothers Inspired Setup

Gnome Alone
2023-03-17, 10:30 PM
Had an idea which is perhaps obviously inspired by The Venture Brothers, and so in turn Johnny Quest before it - I thought it would be fun to have a sort of light-hearted...uh, not necessarily one-shot, but recurring single adventure group which consists of two idiot brothers, who are the sons of a great explorer, who is some kind of planehopping caster. It doesn't matter, because the premise is he's not there - for whatever reason, before our story begins, he took the adventuring group to another plane of existence and he had to go back to the Prime Material, and then he never returned, therebg stranding his children, their magic butler (equal parts hypercompetent and long-suffering) and their dog (woof.)

Now, obviously there's a lot of ways that one might go about building such a party. It actually seems like a very obvious setup for a classic party of fighter + rogue + wizard, with the stronger and/or more boisterous brother being a fighter and the more agile or cunning one being the rogue, and then the butler as the wizard. One might even dispense with the brothers as PCs entirely, and use them purely as chaos-generating tools to further the plot by tormenting the protector characters with their ding-dong-ishness.

So, long story short, my question is what to do about the dog. I was thinking it should be some kind of dog that's infused with the family's ancestral guardian spirit. Or maybe the dog IS a guardian spirit. I think you get the idea. Some kind of unholy fusion of H.E.L.P.eR, Snarf and Appa. Might not even talk, which would be good for those who aren't great at roleplay, or are absolute masters of it.

I found a homebrewed PC race for Blink Dog, and I'm sorely tempted to to just use that, since it's easy enough and a blink dog is such an iconic D&D creature in the first place. Or, the other idea I had was to have the dog mechanically represented by a Druid that never leaves wildshape.

Do either of these sound good, or is there some even simpler solution that I'm overlooking? I know that once we're reskinning things, basically the sky's the limit, but that's kind of the problem - I'm not sure what to do with such a broad swath of theoretical options before me.

Jakinbandw
2023-03-17, 11:36 PM
So this isn't what you want, but it's what I thought of when I read the title:

Lore bard level 6: take Find Steed and Spirit Guardians as you magical secrets. Find steed lets you call a dog, and while on the dog, any spell that targets self also is cast by the dog. Summon dog, climb on dog, cast spirit guardians, and away you go!

(Warning: This is cheese that most gms will disallow)

Amnestic
2023-03-18, 04:41 AM
(Warning: This is cheese that most gms will disallow)

I'd expect them to disallow it since it falls foul of the overlapping spells rule - unless you then dismount and move away from your dog in which case it does work but only to cover more total area, rather than do more damage to an individual creature each turn.

Jakinbandw
2023-03-18, 03:02 PM
I'd expect them to disallow it since it falls foul of the overlapping spells rule - unless you then dismount and move away from your dog in which case it does work but only to cover more total area, rather than do more damage to an individual creature each turn.

That is indeed one of the many interpretations I have seen for it.

Amechra
2023-03-20, 10:10 AM
I mean, if you go with the classic set-of-four, then the Dog is clearly just a reflavored Halfling Cleric.

They're a Halfling because that lets them be small and fit places that the big lumbering humans can't.

Cleric because they're a good boy. Reflavor all of the Cleric spells and domain abilities as spirit dog stuff, and be happy.

gorfnab
2023-03-23, 07:24 PM
How about taking the Valenar Hound (Eberron: Rising from the Last War) with maybe more than one of the Variant: Ancestral Traits available to it and making it a Sidekick: Spellcaster-Healer (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)?