PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Wings of Cover in a wand?

Max Caysey
2023-03-18, 07:14 AM
So, I had the idea of making a wand of Wings of Cover, but I'm unsure if its possible. And if so, how long would it take to activate it?

Like the best thing about WoC is the immediate casting time. Could I have that in a wand? And if not, is there a way to make an item, where WoC can be activated as a immediate action - preferably multiple times?

Cheers

Gruftzwerg
2023-03-18, 07:35 AM
Activating a spell trigger item takes the same amount of time as the casting time of the spell that the item stores, but activating the item doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. You can’t activate a spell trigger item in the area of a silence spell or if unable to speak

If you play with Rules Compendium, then spell trigger items use the activation time of the original spell.
(Note that you still need to have the wand ready in you hand. You can't draw it on an enemies turn)

Max Caysey
2023-03-18, 07:50 AM
If you play with Rules Compendium, then spell trigger items use the activation time of the original spell.
(Note that you still need to have the wand ready in you hand. You can't draw it on an enemies turn)

So assuming I'm a wizard with a wand of WoC, could I use that as an emmediate action if I had the wand at the ready? Or would I have to activate it blindly?

Gruftzwerg
2023-03-18, 08:22 AM
So assuming I'm a wizard with a wand of WoC, could I use that as an emmediate action if I had the wand at the ready? Or would I have to activate it blindly?

Activate Blindly (DC 25) (Use Magic Device) sole comes into play when you don't know what the item does. As soon as you know the spell in the wand somehow (Identify; or the person who sold it to you told you..) you sole need to make an UMD roll for activating wands (DC 20) (since the spell is not on your wizard's list).

And in either case, it's always a swift action (if you play with Rules Compendium).

Max Caysey
2023-03-20, 01:03 PM
Activate Blindly (DC 25) (Use Magic Device) sole comes into play when you don't know what the item does. As soon as you know the spell in the wand somehow (Identify; or the person who sold it to you told you..) you sole need to make an UMD roll for activating wands (DC 20) (since the spell is not on your wizard's list).

And in either case, it's always a swift action (if you play with Rules Compendium).

Thanks for your response...

Would I be correct in saying that the if I was a wizard, it would go from being an immediate to swift action? Thus not something that could be used reactively against Mordenkainen's Disjunction?

Also, are there any rules against having my 6' quarterstaff be enchanted in a manner of a wand? I mean I want to basically have a staff, that functions as a wand and rod... are there any rules that specifically says that a wand has to be of a certain length or that wand enchantments cannot be combined with other enchantments to make a staff that functioned like a wand/rod?

PraxisVetli
2023-03-20, 01:16 PM
One thing that might be relevant as far as rod/staff/wand is the Scepter, LEoF pg 153, that holds up to two spells under 7th level.

"A scepter that contains two spells, however, may require a different number of charges to produce each of its effects. A spell of 1st through 4th level drains 1 charge per use, while a spell of 5th through 7th level drains 2 charges per use."

Gruftzwerg
2023-03-20, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your response...

Would I be correct in saying that the if I was a wizard, it would go from being an immediate to swift action? Thus not something that could be used reactively against Mordenkainen's Disjunction?
If you are a wizard that sole means you need to make an UMD roll. Nothing else. The casting time ain't altered. There is no rule that would force you to do that.

Except if you get an Eternal Wand (Magic Item Compendium) for Wings of Cover. Those can hold an arcane spell up to 3rd lvl and can be used 2/day (instead of the the regular 50 charges). The main difference is, that you sole need to be an "arcane caster" to activate em. Carry a few around if you really like em.

Also, are there any rules against having my 6' quarterstaff be enchanted in a manner of a wand? I mean I want to basically have a staff, that functions as a wand and rod... are there any rules that specifically says that a wand has to be of a certain length or that wand enchantments cannot be combined with other enchantments to make a staff that functioned like a wand/rod?

The answer here is "Wand Chamber" and you can find em in the Dungeonscape book.
They sole cost 100g and can be added to any weapon or shield. The wand can be exchanged with a full-round action.

Combine the two (Eternal Wands + Wand Chamber" and have fun ;)
edit: and since your quarterstaff is a double weapon, you can double the chambers and double the fun (and double the puny 100G costs)

edit2: Ah, I twisted the swift and immediate action.. Wings of Cover is always an "immediate action"...^^ (if you play with RC).