PDA

View Full Version : Arrow of Cure X Wounds

RNightstalker
2023-03-18, 10:00 AM
In Masters of the Wild, they introduce Arrows of Cure Light Wounds and all the way up, but I find them way overpriced. Can anyone justify the listed cost? How would you price them differently? Also, how would you price out an Arrow of Heal (6th level cleric spell)?

Ramza00
2023-03-18, 10:31 AM
I would price them as a meta magic rod,

pathfinder has reach spell which is +1 upgrading touch to close, close to medium, medium to large. I would price it as the equivalent metmagic rod lesser 3k, normal 11k, greater 24.5k and also allow the user to expend multiple charges to make or a +2 or +3.

Crake
2023-03-18, 11:24 AM
My guess on the reason why they're priced so high is because an archer could feasably spam out 3-4 of these in a round, so they're essentially being treated as quickened spells.

Edit: Looking at the pricing: the 7gp is obviously for the masterwork arrow, so the price is clearly 100gp, 600gp, 1500gp, and 2800gp, which just so happens to line up with 1x1 for light, 2x3 for cure moderate, 3x5 for cure serious, and 4x7 for cure serious, then x100g, which appears to be double the cost of a potion? Probably for the fact that it can be used at significant range comparatively, and that you can use multiple in one round?

RNightstalker
2023-03-18, 04:11 PM
And using the "this is the price for 50 arrows rule" from the DMG would make them super broken right?

pabelfly
2023-03-18, 05:31 PM
It's about twice the cost of an equivalent potion, but you can use it at range to keep the frontliner up and conscious and you can easily get off several arrows per round. I could see myself using this in place of potions in combat if I had an archery build.

And using the "this is the price for 50 arrows rule" from the DMG would make them super broken right?

Well that would be like being able to cast Cure Light Wounds for BAB + 1 times per turn for 2 gold each time.

Rebel7284
2023-03-18, 06:33 PM
Arrowsplit makes it cheaper than potions. Splitting Bow is nifty too!

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-03-18, 07:14 PM
Just get some +1 spell storing dye arrows (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrows-common/ammunition-bow-arrow-dye/) for cheap. Then you can fill them with whatever healing and buff spells you want (up to 3rd level)!

And if they're aurorum, you can put them together again after battle. Alternatively, riverine, and they won't break to begin with.

Biggus
2023-03-18, 07:45 PM

They'd be 3.75x cheaper per HP than the next cheapest healing item, the Wand of Lesser Vigor, and that's before we get into all the other advantages they have over it.

RNightstalker
2023-03-22, 01:19 PM
They'd be 3.75x cheaper per HP than the next cheapest healing item, the Wand of Lesser Vigor, and that's before we get into all the other advantages they have over it.

How would they be that cheap?

Arrowsplit makes it cheaper than potions. Splitting Bow is nifty too!

Arrowsplit on from a Splitting Bow...any other ways to multiply a single use? Let's get all the bang for the buck we can get! A Splitting bow with a wand chamber of Arrowsplit.

Menzath
2023-03-22, 03:17 PM
A casting of reverse arrows(SC pg.175) on you and the target would result in nigh infinite healing since the arrow does no damage.

RNightstalker
2023-04-05, 02:48 PM
A casting of reverse arrows(SC pg.175) on you and the target would result in nigh infinite healing since the arrow does no damage.

That is one heck of an idea, but since the arrow doesn't do any damage to begin with, it won't trigger the effect of the spell, will it?

ericgrau
2023-04-11, 09:57 AM
My guess on the reason why they're priced so high is because an archer could feasably spam out 3-4 of these in a round, so they're essentially being treated as quickened spells.

Edit: Looking at the pricing: the 7gp is obviously for the masterwork arrow, so the price is clearly 100gp, 600gp, 1500gp, and 2800gp, which just so happens to line up with 1x1 for light, 2x3 for cure moderate, 3x5 for cure serious, and 4x7 for cure serious, then x100g, which appears to be double the cost of a potion? Probably for the fact that it can be used at significant range comparatively, and that you can use multiple in one round?
Yeah, this. 3d8+3 or 4d8+4 for 321 or 428 gp. Effectively cure serious/critical wounds as a full round action. Normally this would be 750/1,400 gp, or half that on a scroll, at melee. And it adds a role to the archer without any other investment. It's not a reasonable cost at low level, nothing would be. But by level 7 the cost isn't so horrible, it can revive an unconscious party member or 3, at range, and put him back in the fight. What's more you can hold on to the arrows indefinitely until the best opportunity, or mix damage and healing in the same round. You definitely wouldn't use this for between battle healing but it seems like a nice niche to hold on to a few CLW arrows, turning a hard fight from a dead party member and 5,000 gp rez into a full win. And level 13+ you might finally get CMW, etc. I also think people are afraid of consumables in general, but with the shockingly few fights you engage in in D&D, they keep up pretty well with permanent items or are often better. By the time it adds up you're selling old permanent items for half and your new budget dwarfs your old anyway.

Likewise bane arrows and lots of other niche arrows are handy to have a few of.

Crake
2023-04-12, 10:32 AM
Yeah, this. 3d8+3 or 4d8+4 for 321 or 428 gp. Effectively cure serious/critical wounds as a full round action. Normally this would be 750/1,400 gp, or half that on a scroll, at melee. And it adds a role to the archer without any other investment. It's not a reasonable cost at low level, nothing would be. But by level 7 the cost isn't so horrible, it can revive an unconscious party member or 3, at range, and put him back in the fight. What's more you can hold on to the arrows indefinitely until the best opportunity, or mix damage and healing in the same round. You definitely wouldn't use this for between battle healing but it seems like a nice niche to hold on to a few CLW arrows, turning a hard fight from a dead party member and 5,000 gp rez into a full win. And level 13+ you might finally get CMW, etc. I also think people are afraid of consumables in general, but with the shockingly few fights you engage in in D&D, they keep up pretty well with permanent items or are often better. By the time it adds up you're selling old permanent items for half and your new budget dwarfs your old anyway.

Likewise bane arrows and lots of other niche arrows are handy to have a few of.

Hmm, Actually the notion of mixing in damage and healing is probably the biggest sell. If you're fighting enemies where maybe your first couple shots are decently reliable hits, but your iteratives start to drop off, you can instead spend those to heal allies with reasonable consistency.

Rebel7284
2023-04-12, 10:54 AM
Depending on how Spell Storing interacts with Splitting/Arrowsplit, you might be able to pull off something silly with that.

Also, Reach Spell (or similar effect) + Chain Spell allows you to Arrow Split multiple pieces of ammunition on the same turn, which is very nifty for volley archers, but also takes a few extra steps.

RNightstalker
2023-04-12, 11:37 AM

How would you price out an arrow of Heal?

tomandtish
2023-04-12, 12:22 PM
it's probably also important to consider that this isn't just healing. Against undead this is doing positive energy damage at range.

Crake
2023-04-12, 12:22 PM
How would you price out an arrow of Heal?

If you follow the pricing conventions, it should be 6x11x100gp, or 6600gp

RNightstalker
2023-04-13, 02:53 PM
If you follow the pricing conventions, it should be 6x11x100gp, or 6600gp

Thanks Playground.