PDA

View Full Version : BBEG Build (My Players: This Thread Not For You)

AKA_Bait
2007-12-04, 01:04 PM
So, I'm making a BBEG Human Warlock 10/Vampire.

What are some essential feats, invocations and toys?

Duke of URL
2007-12-04, 01:38 PM
Pump DEX and CHA, and know that close-quarters will not be a problem thanks to +6 natural armor, a good DEX, and a boatload of good resistances and immunities. Pick up weapon finesse (level 3 feat) to make landing slam attacks easier -- you're interested in dealing negative levels, not HP damage, so DEX-based is fine. With close-quarters being the rule of the day, Skill Focus: Concentration (level 1 feat) might not be amiss.

I doubt most attack invocations will be better than the Energy Drain slam attack, though Eldritch Chain can affect multiple targets (primary plus two secondary) and Eldritch Spear lets you take on distant foes. Since you have Weapon Finesse, Eldritch Glaive can be useful, but only if you have invocations to spare. Baleful Utterance can really p*** your PCs off -- nothing like losing a prize possession to make them angry.

On the whole, focus on invocations to boost melee ability and defense, and rely on vampire special abilities for attacks.

Least: Eldritch Spear, Baleful Utterance, Miasmic Cloud, See The Unseen, Entopic Warding (use level 6 and 9 feats for Extra Invocation)

Lesser: Eldritch Chain, The Dead Walk, Beshadowed Blast, Fell Flight, Voidsense, Voracious Dispelling, Walk Unseen (pick 3 of 7, use items/wands/scrolls to cover others)

Feats: 1) Skill Focus: Concentration, 3) Weapon Finesse, 6) Extra Invocation, 9) Extra Invocation

Key skills: Concentration, UMD

Combat: At longer ranges, use Eldritch Spear + Beshadowed Blast to target spellcasters. Use Dominate ability (DC 15 + CHA modifier) on low-Will front-liners to change the balance of power. Melee attack with slams to drain levels.

ReproMan
2007-12-04, 01:51 PM
I am a huge, huge proponent of Warlocks as BBEGs. There aren't many classes that are so inherently creepy to have working against a party, and the level of destruction they can wreak is truly awe inspiring to behold in the hands of a worthy DM. One of my Warlock PCs actually got taken away from me by the DM to become a recurring villain after he singlehandedly massacred a city guard and burnt the town to rubble, at mid-levels no less! Good times... :smallbiggrin:

Let's see, the essential invocations for a Level 10 Warlock BBEG are:
Lesser (3)
-The Dead Walk (unlimited 'Animate Dead', with the option to forgo material components, though the skeletons/zombies crumble to dust in 10 minutes)
-Walk Unseen (Unlimited Invisibility)
-Fell Flight (Fly for 24 Hours)
Least (3)
-See the Unseen (See Invisibility + Darkvision)
-Baleful Utterance (Unlimited 'Shatter')
-Eldrich Spear (Extends Eldrich Blast Touch Attacks to 250')

Of course, this is aimed more towards my favorite brand of Mastermind Sneaky Warlock; if you're looking for a more melee/fighter/blaster, then you might want to adjust.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-04, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys. I think he's pretty well set.

Dullyanna
2007-12-04, 03:39 PM
If it's not too late: What about that one invocation, that lets a warlock teleport to a predetermined spot? It's pretty good for any BBEG, let alone one that's allergic to the sun.

Craig1f
2007-12-04, 03:47 PM
If it's not too late: What about that one invocation, that lets a warlock teleport to a predetermined spot? It's pretty good for any BBEG, let alone one that's allergic to the sun.

Flee the Scene is what you're thinking of, I believe. It's a short-range Dim Door that leaves behind a Major Image of oneself for 1 round, that responds appropriately to attacks. That spell is money.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-04, 04:05 PM
Oh yes. Don't worry, that was the one invocation that was definatley going to be included right from the moment the character concept came up. :-)

Rama_Lei
2007-12-04, 09:23 PM
Find some way to diminish your weaknesses, either a spell that obliterates holy symbols, and enchanted coffin for escape, nose plugs etc.

Dode
2007-12-04, 09:42 PM
Find some way to diminish your weaknesses, either a spell that obliterates holy symbols. You mean like Baleful Utterance, a Least Warlock Invocation that can be used at will and acts as a Shatter spell in every way?

Yeah that would make a turning attempt pretty tough