PDA

View Full Version : Tonsilitis in the playground

Wraithy
2007-12-04, 01:44 PM
sorry if I've spelt it wrong.

Today I found out I have tonsilitis. I haven't had this before, does anyone have any advice for someone who's never had it before?

Edit: I've finished the medication and am better now

Setra
2007-12-04, 01:51 PM
I thought like everyone got their tonsils removed when they were young <_<

Wraithy
2007-12-04, 01:55 PM
nowadays people getting their tonsils removed is pretty rare, I've just been put on medication for a week.

Emrylon
2007-12-04, 01:58 PM
I had my tonsils taken out when I was very young. Sorry but I can't really remember anything about it.

Kaelaroth
2007-12-04, 03:11 PM
Ooohh... Poor you. :smallfrown:

My friend had severe tonsilitis, off school for several weeks on medication, and then had to be rushed into hospital to have them removed as they started to impede his breathing. *shudder*

Another friend had tonsilitis as a young child, and then, as an adult, found they were re-growing back, infected as ever. Ickiness abound. :smalleek:

I hope you get well soon. :smallwink:

Dihan
2007-12-04, 03:32 PM
I've had tonsilitis a lot in the past. I still have my tonsils.

Anyway, you want advice? Gorge yourself on ice cream :smallbiggrin:

valadil
2007-12-04, 11:39 PM
I got it real bad about twice a year. They'd swell to the point where they'd touch and I couldn't fit air down my throat. I had them out almost a year ago and been great since. They told me the surgery would result in the worst sore throat ever, and honestly it was only a little worse than the worst of the infections. They also told me that my tonsils were the biggest they'd ever taken. Like, they were so big that they were catching bits of food which calcified and hardened. Yeah.

cintain
2007-12-05, 12:26 AM
Hey there.

Have you considered trying acupuncture?

Most people think of acupuncture as either quack medicine or last-resort miracle cure, but it is actually quite effective. There are usually metabolic imbalances at the root of any acute illness, and acupuncture and chinese herbs work to resolve the root problem, thus ensuring they don't come back.

I have quite a few patients who've recovered from things like that after just a few sessions.

C

Wraithy
2007-12-05, 06:30 AM
Gorge yourself on ice cream :smallbiggrin: Its a done deal:smallbiggrin:
I have heard about acupuncture, but I just have more confidence in the current treatment I'm having (also I doubt acupuncture is on the national health service :smallwink: ), but thanks for the advice anyway.

T'ze'hai
2007-12-05, 07:40 AM
I had tonsilitis once, when I got kissing disease. I couldn't get medicin because that would not work out well with the kissing disease. In the end I got strond painkillers, because I couldn't eat anymore due to the pain. Luckily it went away without removal of the tonsils.
Tonsils are not normally removed anymore, and if they are, they can grow back later. They are a part of your immune system (glands that make special cells to defend you against strange cells from outer whatever) so an inflammation can also be a side effect from something else going on somewhere in your body. It could help to get that sorted out.

Ashtar
2007-12-05, 08:59 AM
One of my friends came down with a high fever and a sharp throat pain. Her dad wanted her to wait it out for a day or two and just stay in bed. When I went to see her she told me: "I'm dying here... convice my parents to take me to hospital".

I told her dad: "Either you drive her to hospital now, or I'm taking her in myself". After a row where he got pissed at me, he drove her to hospital.

Less than twenty minutes after arriving, she was in the operating room, scheduled for an emergency tonsillectomy. Her tonsils were necrosing and needed to be removed before it poisoned her.

I was later told by the doctors that they were pretty sure that there would of been a risk of permanent throat damage if she'd waited any longer before coming in.

Serpentine
2007-12-05, 09:08 AM
Hey there.

Have you considered trying acupuncture?

Most people think of acupuncture as either quack medicine or last-resort miracle cure, but it is actually quite effective. There are usually metabolic imbalances at the root of any acute illness, and acupuncture and chinese herbs work to resolve the root problem, thus ensuring they don't come back.

I have quite a few patients who've recovered from things like that after just a few sessions.

C
Or it could be, you know, a bacterial infection. I think I'll stick with good ol' antibacterial medication - employed sparingly and only when necessary, of course - at least until those methods go properly under the scientific knife and legislative scrutiny. Not that I'm saying they have no worth at all - aspirin came from willow bark, after all. It'd just be nice if they were just as accountable as an ordinary GP or a heart surgeon.

I got tonsillitis once, in my last year of high school, not long before my exam. Mum and her husband had been away for the weekend, and my friends came over to visit. They tried to get me to drink, to "make me feel better", but I just huddled on the armchair and felt miserable. They very kindly cleaned up the house and put me to bed. The next day, mum and Peter came home to find the chores not done and me still in bed. She assumed I was hung over :smallsigh: To be safe, she put me on medication until after the exams, just in case it wanted to come back again at a crucial time. The weird thing was, my tonsils ended up being smaller afterwards than they were before...

Recommendations? See a doctor, get some drugs, sleep a lot.

Wraithy
2007-12-05, 11:22 AM
its been 3 days now, and my doctor put me on penecillin 4 times a day yesterday, I feel a hell of alot better, I'm hoping its nearly done (god I'm hoping:smalleek: )

InaVegt
2007-12-05, 11:38 AM
its been 3 days now, and my doctor put me on penecillin 4 times a day yesterday, I feel a hell of alot better, I'm hoping its nearly done (god I'm hoping:smalleek: )

Finish the treatment, even if you're convinced it's gone, finish it.

Wraithy
2007-12-05, 12:02 PM
of course I'll finish it, the tonsils themselves are still as bad as ever

InaVegt
2007-12-05, 12:35 PM
of course I'll finish it, the tonsils themselves are still as bad as ever

People tend to quit an antibiotics treatment as soon as the symptoms are gone, which means the bacteria most likely get 'nother chance.

Serpentine
2007-12-05, 09:23 PM
Very true. Don't stop taking them 'til they're all gone. Tonsillitis has a tendency to hang around if you don't get rid of it completely and properly - thus the mother putting me on antibiotics for 2 or 3 times the time really necessary (note: She'd never overprescribe for any other situation. We just wanted to be particularly careful for my exams).

evisiron
2007-12-05, 09:31 PM
Anyway, you want advice? Gorge yourself on ice cream :smallbiggrin:

Best advice for anything, ever! (well, except lactose intolerence...)

Wraithy
2007-12-06, 09:47 AM
Well its the 4th day my sleep paterns just plain wierd, though there is a nice fuzziness akin to the early stages of being drunk.
Thanks for the advice.

Wraithy
2007-12-07, 09:13 AM
Betterness WOOO!

I'm da Rogue!
2007-12-07, 10:14 AM
But keep taking your medicine even if you're OK.

I had tonsilitis every 5-6 months in the past. It was awful.

I didn't have them removed, because for a strange reason it stopped 4 years ago.

Since then, whenever I feel like I'm going to have tonsilitis, I drink some lemon juice (without sugar or water, just the juice of a lemon).
This cleans your tonsils, but many people can't stand eating a lemon.
I also take a lot of Vitamin C, from fruits or pills.

Whenever you feel sick, take some vitamin C. It will help your body fight the virus.

Ranna
2007-12-07, 03:15 PM
i had my tonsils removed when i was little but i still get it! the doctor thinks its really funny when i go in and has a laugh at my prediciment somehow i get tonsilitis of the remains of my tonsils

if i feel like im getting i gurgle mouthwash like a mental person, hurts like hell but its quite good

i also found getting wasted on whiskey works well too gurgle that the alcohol seems to kill the bacteria plus u loose a night of ur life and are often of great entertainment to all around you

otherwise do go to the doctors, i didnt once and it was bad!

Extra_Crispy
2007-12-09, 02:16 AM
Never had tonsilitis. Used to get ear infections often and very bad ones when I was a kid. Work with a nurse that just had her tonsils removed. She had Mono (the kissing disease) and they kept treating her symptoms without maybe looking for the cause. She was constently off work for months from one "cold" or "flu" after another. She was telling me that it was pretty painfull but the pain medications are handeling it and it was not as bad as she thought it would be as well and she already is starting to feel better. I would suggest to keep with the program but if you just cant seem to get rid of the problems then get them removed.

Totally Guy
2007-12-09, 06:10 PM
Don't eat the christmas decorations this year or you might get tinselitis:smalltongue:

Arameus
2007-12-09, 07:43 PM
Don't eat the christmas decorations this year or you might get tinselitis:smalltongue:

*pelts with cabbage* NOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

I've had tonsilitis twice. Once was the normal bit, I'm home for a few days, then back to school to feed that brain.

Then I got hypertonsilitis. The rare strain from hell. Knocked me out for a week and a half, worst I've ever been sick in my life; I don't feel like writing another detailed description about it, though.

T'ze'hai
2007-12-10, 05:45 AM
A friend of mine had tonsilitis on and off, which actually was Kissing disease. After one and a halve year (!!!:smallyuk: ) her tonsils were finally removed, with the warning that it would hurts some days afterwards... She never felt so good, as the hurting was less than before the operation... :smalleek:

Serpentine
2007-12-10, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty sure tonsillitis is different to glandular fever, though, they just happen to both involve a sore throat :smallconfused:

Wraithy
2007-12-10, 11:45 AM
I'm pretty sure tonsillitis is different to glandular fever, though, they just happen to both involve a sore throat :smallconfused:

They're both very different, just I think the simptoms overlap.
I'm better now, I'm still taking the medication (a form of penecillin) although just before midday I get really dizzy :smallconfused: I just hope it doesn't happen again tommorow (I'm going on a trip to Parliament with my politics A-level group)

Serpentine
2007-12-11, 06:26 AM
Make sure you take them with food. Empty stomach + antibiotics = nasty bellyache >.< Maybe dizziness as well? Dunno.

Ossian
2007-12-11, 07:04 AM
Hello there. A friend of mine just got a very bad tonsillites the other day and we were in hospital with him. Hmm...now, one factor to consider: age.
How old are you? He's 30, and surgery wasn't an option.

For some reasons, having tonsils removed after you teens (and that's a stretch) , is not advised, if not altogether discouraged. It could be dangerous. If it's your first tonsillitis, have it treated, and you're gonna be 200% all right real soon. Still, if it gets chronical, and you are still young, ask your doctor if it would not be better to be done with the problem.

Side effects of infected tonsils are manifold. Quite rare, actually, and they do have to appear along with other factors. Off the top of my head, there is miocarditis (don't know the spell, sorry). That is an accumulation of bacteria in the tonsils that, should they manage to go down the breath tube, might (and I repeat MIGHT) affect the miocardium (a muscle in the heart) or the mithral valve (again, in the heart; only if your valve has a shape that allows such accumulation, lika a small concavity).

I don't have tonsils since age 3, but I was diagnosed a small imperfection in the mithral valve (nothing serious, just very ordinary stuff). the doctor who apraised the imperfection with the ecography suggested that I take antibiotics as a precautionary mean aveery time I have a becterial infection, even if it is just in my teeth.

Take care.

O.

Wraithy
2007-12-11, 12:41 PM
Make sure you take them with food. Empty stomach + antibiotics = nasty bellyache >.< Maybe dizziness as well? Dunno.

Actually the instructions on the packet said I had to take them either an hour before food or on an emty stomach, anyway I've finished the course now and assume myself to be well as a result.

thanks for all the help!