PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [1E] Elves of Ebonwood (PEACH)

Drakevarg
2023-03-21, 06:21 AM
When I first planned out the race list for Ebonwood, I had a list of 25 elven races ("elves" for the purposes of the setting also including goblins, gnomes and dwarves). Later I decided to trim this back down to 5 races to cut away the unnecessary chaff of having five different ways to express the same concept. To do so I lined up all the associated races and cobbled together a unified example that roughly represented all of their component parts. However, I'm not exactly good at this, so while I think their basic attributes are pretty much balanced with one another, I can't really say if their more exotic abilities are or if they can be remotely considered balanced with humans.

But that's what I've got this place for. So I'm going to post these races verbatim from my notes, and see what advice I can get. Two things to keep in mind: 1) if a particular ability seems familiar, it's because I lifted it pretty much verbatim from one of the component races I used. I'm not publishing this any time soon/ever, so I'm not terribly worried about plagiarism. 2) don't worry about what a particular race is "supposed to" be like, this setting isn't canon D&D. Beyond that, I'm open to any criticism or suggestion. Here we go:

Goblins
While many treat the goblins that dwell in the swamps surrounding the heart of Ebonwood as little better than imps or even clothed apes, most are reasonably intelligent and simply seek to go about their lives, though they often come into conflict with their neighbors - goblin or otherwise - due to their generally antisocial demeanor.

Goblin Racial Traits
+4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Goblins are surprisingly strong for their small size, but are prone to infighting and are skittish by nature.
Small: Goblins are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC and attack rolls, a -1 penalty to CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Normal Speed: Goblins are very quick for their size and have a bae speed of 30 ft.
Climber: Goblins are natural climbers and have a climb speed of 20 ft. They have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
Darkvision: Goblins can see in the dark up to 60 ft.
Skittish: Goblins have a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics, Bluff, and Escape Artist checks and a +4 bonus on Stealth checks.
Goblin Magic: Goblins can be heard over great distances, and their powerful voices can be quite intimidating. Goblins gain a +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks. Once per day, a goblin can focus this voice to cast shatter with a caster level equal to their class levels. All goblins intuitively know how to cast darkness once a day with a caster level equal to their class levels.

Gnomes
Sometimes called pygmy elves, gnomes are sometimes considered closer to sprites than true elves. Almost as furtive as goblins, they maintain a similarly nocturnal lifestyle in the rural plains south of Ebonwood, their communities often going unnoticed by the tall folk around them. Gnomes have a better knack for magic than most elves, which only serves to reinforce the impression that they have more in common with a redcap than a 'true' elf.

Gnome Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma: A gnome's small stature makes them weak but agile, though they're surprisingly hardy folk. Gnomes possess a natural cunning but are shy and antisocial by nature.
Small: Gnomes are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC and attack rolls, a -1 penalty to CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Slow Speed: Gnomes have a base speed of 20 ft.
Low-Light Vision: Gnomes can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Keen Senses: Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus to Perception.
Furtive: Gnomes gain a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
Obsessive: Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus on a Craft or Profession skill of their choice.
Gnome Magic: Gnomes add a +1 to the DC of any saving throws against illusion spells that they cast. Conversely, they get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against illusion spells and effects. Gnomes intuitively understand how to use the following spell-like abilities once per day: dancing lights, disguise self, ghost sound, prestidigitation, and silence.

Sylvans
The elves of the eastern woodlands are among the oldest civilizations in the Material Realm, aside from of course the giants and angels, having arrived with the very forests that now cover those lands. Often called 'sylvans' to distinguish them from other elven bloodlines, they are typically what first comes to mind when one refers to an elf in the general sense. Like most elves they are frequently reclusive folk, though not nearly to the extent of goblins or gnomes.

Sylvan Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence: Sylvans are stronger and more nimble than most humans, but are slow to change their thinking.
Medium: Sylvans are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Sylvans have a base speed of 30 ft.
Climber: Sylvans are natural climbers and have a climb speed of 20 ft. They have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
Low-Light Vision: Sylvans can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Light Sensitivity: Sylvans are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Keen Senses: Sylvans receive a +2 racial bonus to Perception.
Forest Adapted: Sylvans have a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks and a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks, which doubles to +8 in forested areas.
Sylvan Magic: Sylvans are immune to magical sleep effects and gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects. A sylvan has the innate ability to use pass without trace (self only, as a free action) as the spell cast by a druid of the sylvan's class levels. They can also change form into a small tree, shrub or limb, equivalent to the tree shape spell as cast by a 12th-level druid. Sylvans living in the wild typically use this ability at or near daybreak as a form of camouflage, due to their dislike for daylight. The sylvan cannot dismiss this effect, but it ends automatically at sunset or if the wood elf takes damage.

Dwarves
Also known as 'dark elves,' dwarves are a reclusive race like all other elven folk, hidden away in deep caverns or lonely mountain keeps. The Underking's Realm, traditionally a dwarven holding, is by far the largest territory within the Ebonwood Empire, encompassing the twisting caverns that travel from one end of the empire to the other. It also has the smallest population, as such a realm is ill-suited to the encroach of civilization.

Dwarven Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma: Despite their rough-hewn appearance, dwarves are surprisingly flexible and have remarkable stamina, perfect for cave life. Like many elves, though, they are antisocial in nature and prefer tinkering and traps to physical confrontation.
Medium: Dwarves are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Slow and Steady: Dwarves have a base speed of 20 ft, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumberance.
Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 120 feet.
Light Sensitivity: Dwarves are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Cavern Lore: Dwarves have an intuitive knack for all matters related to cavern survival, receiving a +2 bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework, a +2 bonus on Appraise checks on items related to stone or metal, and a +2 bonus to their choice of either Know (Nature), Know (Dungeoneering) or Survival. Like all elves, dwarves have a knack for remaining unseen, receiving a +2 racial bonus to Stealth checks that doubles to +4 while underground.
Stability: Dwarves receive a +4 racial bonus to their CMD when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Magic Resistant: Dwarves are immune to magical sleep effects, paralysis, phantasms, and poison, and are under a continuous nondetection effect with a caster level equal to their character level. They also have spell resistance equal to 11 + class levels, and gain a +2 racial bonus on all saves against spells or spell-like abilities.
Dwarven Magic: Dwarves are keenly tied to the extreme elemental forces of their home, equally comfortable in arctic colds and volcanic heat. They have both Resist Fire 5 and Resist Cold 5, and take no penalties from any temperature extremes. They can infuse their touch with energy as a free action, causing their unarmed attacks or any melee weapons held to deal 1 extra point of cold or fire damage, which does not stack with any extant ability for that weapon to deal additional cold or fire damage. Once per day, they can concentrate this energy into a chill metal or heat metal spell-like ability with a caster level equal to their character level. Using either of these spells expends this use, the dwarf does not get one cast of each. Additionally, dwarves intuitively understand how to use faerie fire or obscuring mist as spell-like abilities once per day.

Sea Elves
Most rarely seen of the elven folk, sea elves take the natural reclusive nature of all elves with the added scarcity of an aquatic lifestyle. Occasionally mistaken for merfolk and about as mythologized, the appearance of a sea elf on a voyage can either signal good fortune or ill omen depending on who you ask. Sea elves are typically considered the closest elven race to being 'true' Fae.

Sea Elf Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Physically superior to humans and highly perceptive, sea elves have a slightly mythical air to them rather than the mere shyness of most elves.
Racial Hit Dice: A sea elf begins with four levels of Fae, which provide 4d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4. A sea elf's Fae levels give it two feats and skill points equal to 7 x (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1).
Medium: Sea elves are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Sea elves have a base speed of 30 ft.
Amphibious: Although sea elves live in water, they can survive out of water indefinitely. A sea elf has a base swim speed of 60 feet. They have a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks and can always choose to take 10 on Swim checks, even if rushed or threatened.
Superior Low-Light Vision: Sea elves can see four times as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Keen Senses: Sea elves receive a +2 racial bonus to Perception.
Aquatic Lurker: Sea elves get a +8 racial bonus on Stealth checks while in contact with a body of water.
Thick Skin: A sea elf's tough hide provides it a +3 natural armor bonus.
Sea Elf Magic: A sea elf has a natural rapport with the sea, able to use control water as a 10th-level sorcerer a number of times per day equal to 1/2 their HD plus their Wisdom modifier. While submerged in water, a sea elf can summon a huge school of magic fish to provide concealment (similar to the fog cloud spell). This school of fish swims around the point the sea elf designates in a 20-foot radius. This cloud of fish obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (20% miss chance), creatures further away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can't use sight to locate the target). A strong current disperses the cloud of fish in 4 rounds. The fish created by this spell are formed of magic; they aren't real animals, and objects and energies pass hroug them as though they were not there. The fish cloud remains for 40 minutes or until dispersed or dispelled. This ability shares the same number of uses as their control water ability. If the sea elf has a ki pool from a class feature, these uses are considered part of that pool. Sea elves have spell resistance equal to 11 + their HD.

Drakevarg
2023-06-02, 12:03 PM
Reworked my elves again, so reviving this in hopes of getting some input.

Elves of Ebonwood, v2
Consolidating further from five down to two: Unseelie goblins (also known as dark elves) and Seelie gnomes (also known as light elves). Also merging elves and sprites together; this is expressed by some elves being born with the Half-Fae template, possessing wings and enhanced magic.

Universal Elven Traits
+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma: Elves are more flexible than humans, but less socially adept.
Small: Most elves are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC and attack rolls, a -1 penalty to CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Climber: Elves are natural climbers and have a climb speed of 20 ft. They have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
Elven Vision: Elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light and receive a +2 racial bonus to Perception. They are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Furtive: Elves are instinctively shy and have a +4 racial bonus to Stealth checks.
Magic Resistant: Elves are immune to magical sleep effects and gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment or illusion spells and effects.
DR 5/Cold Iron: Like all Fae, elves are resistant to most mortal weapons, but find cold iron literally searing cold to the touch.

Goblin Traits
Normal Speed: Goblins are very quick for their size and have a base speed of 30 ft.
Goblin Magic: A goblin has the innate ability to use pass without trace (self only, as a free action) as the spell cast by a druid of the goblin's class levels. All goblins intuitively know how to cast darkness, faerie fire and obscuring mist as spell-like abilities once per day.

Gnome Traits
Slow and Steady: Gnomes have a base speed of 20 ft, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance. They also receive a +4 racial bonus to their CMD when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Gnome Magic: Gnomes intuitively understand how to use the following spell-like abilities once per day: dancing lights, disguise self, ghost sound, prestidigitation, and silence.

Optional Traits (Pick One)
Medium: Some elves are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Terrain Adapted: Elves often adapt well to their environment. Pick one type of terrain as per a ranger's favored terrain feature; the elf's racial bonuses to Perception and Stealth checks double while in this environment.
Enhanced Magic Resistance: Some elves are especially resistant to magical effects, with spell resistance equal to 11 + class levels, in addition to the normal resistances of their kind.

Maat Mons
2023-06-02, 12:37 PM
Have you considered swapping the terms "sylvan" and "elf?" Right now, you have "elf" as the general term for mystical races, and "sylvan" as the name for the race that approximately corresponds to the D&D elf. The reverse would be more intuitive to many people.

Are these races humanoids or fey?

Personally, I'd add a few more races, and not try to condense them all into subraces of one race. My own musings on races have tended to scale down dryad (which I call "forest nymph"), nymph (which I call "water nymph"), sprite, satyr, centaur, yuki-onna, and others to make them standard player races. I've also tried reworking fauns (from Deities and Demigods), hengeyokai, spirit folk, kitsune, and others. Sometimes I like to give races an innate, but limited shapeshifting ability, such as mermaids that can transform their tails into legs, medium-sized fey that can hide their wings, and tiefling-like minor fiends that can hide their horns, tails, and, if applicable, wings.

Drakevarg
2023-06-02, 01:02 PM
Have you considered swapping the terms "sylvan" and "elf?" Right now, you have "elf" as the general term for mystical races, and "sylvan" as the name for the race that approximately corresponds to the D&D elf. The reverse would be more intuitive to many people.

I'm going with the mythological notion of 'elf,' of which dwarves are really more of a subset - and by extension in my setting, so are all the pointy-eared magically-attuned demihumans. Not really relevant at this stage though, the first post is the previous draft and "sylvan" has been dropped entirely.

Are these races humanoids or fey?

Lore-wise, somewhere in between. Mechanically... probably Fae, given the DR/cold iron.

Personally, I'd add a few more races, and not try to condense them all into subraces of one race.

I started with 25 varieties of elves, but gradually decided that the mechanical differences were largely just noise. I'd rather have a handful of flexible races that can have lots of descriptive variety, than individual race entries for dozens of largely-interchangeable races. I'm a story-first roleplayer, with no interest in packing the setting full of optimization options.