PDA

View Full Version : Bright moments after town being ravaged by hags

HoboKnight
2023-03-23, 10:30 AM
So, my party is doing well and I need to flesh out an ambient of a town, recuperating after several months long spell of insanity, hunger and extremely hard times.

Here is the story: during a spike of appearance of highly aggressive devils around the town and trade routes being completelly cut off or fiercely harrased due to devils popping out of portals left and right near roads and attacking/killing anything that moved, a coven of hags started working a large rural town. Devil-induced hardships made people more open to hag curses, there was a mass of murders, suicide, cannibalism, rape, child abuse, necrophilia, etc. Also, there was mass hunger. Community fell apart.

A group of hardy adventurers appeared, trashed the hags and PCs are now dead set on dealing with the devils.

All this will break a mass of curses which plagued the people and I want to, as adventurers return, present to my PCs vignettes, small events that reflect the ruined community healing. It was very grimdark so far and I need counterpoints. I'm good at darkness, but not so much at representing light.

What sights, sounds, events could represent the end of truly dark times?

Thanks

LibraryOgre
2023-03-23, 11:15 AM
Some simple ones:

*NPCs they know get married. If you have a cleric or other divine caster, they can perform the ceremony. PCs should be encouraged to provide gifts.
*Healthy birth to someone who was cursed, or to valued animals (pets are good, but you can also have a small festival when the lambs all come in and aren't malformed or stillborn)
*Festival. Low-stakes games and such for a night of fun role-playing. How does the rogue do at the archery contest? Can the Barbarian win in the drinking contest? Someone challenges the wizard to wrestling. Someone sings a song about the PCs.
*The town militia (0-level types) beat a demon on its own while the PCs are away.

If you're planning some downtime (a session where you mostly deal with stuff like this), put them throughout; if it's going to be worked into the campaign against the demons, then mention something each session. There's the Spring Festival, which happens when the lambs are in and the planting starts. There's marriages as summer starts a few months later. The walls go up. The local priest blesses the temple, and now it's protection against the demons within its walls.

It works best with known NPCs or, at least, town-wide institutions that the party will be able to identify.