PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Transfer enchantment spell. What level?

gadren
2023-03-25, 04:32 PM
What level should this spell/infusion be?

Transfer Enchantment
Transmutation
Level: Artificer __, Wizard __
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: One magic item and one non-magical item
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

You transfer all magical properties from one magical item you touch to another nonmagical item suitable to hold those properties. For example, you could remove the +3 enchantment from a +3 longsword and put it on a masterwork bastard sword, ending up with a nonmagical masterwork longsword and a +3 bastard sword.
If the target item is unsuitable for the enchantment (for example, if you try to put +1 keen on a club), the spell simply fails and the enchantment remains on the original item.

Material Component: Diamond dust equal to 5% of the value of the enchantment.

JNAProductions
2023-03-25, 04:41 PM
Permanent duration, not instantaenous?

NichG
2023-03-25, 05:44 PM
I'd go 6th level, since Analyze Dweomer is that level, and Permanency is 5th. Not because of balance reasons, just thematically that seems to be about the point where direct manipulation of somewhat arbitrary permanent magic comes online, so it makes sense to me that you'd build this spell out of principles that require around that spell level to access.

Breccia
2023-03-25, 06:22 PM
I would think you could get away with 4th for the weakest items and then require upcasts for stronger items.

It should go without saying, but this is D&D nothing goes without saying, that artifacts, sentient items, and creatures are immune.

gadren
2023-03-25, 06:58 PM
Permanent duration, not instantaenous?

Good catch. Fixed.