PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Rebuild a Monk with Itemization

MornShine
2023-03-26, 04:44 PM
In a West Marches server I'm in, I've got a monk. But I committed the cardinal sin: Not planning the build.

I've made some bad choices— notably I don't have enough Int for Improved Trip. I've shifted sideways into a support character, but I die remarkably easily.

The saving grace of this Monk is that, due to some very good luck, I'm significantly above WBL. I'm just not sure what to buy.

I'm hoping that you fine forumites here can help!

Half-Elf Monk 2 / Spirit Shaman 2 / Squire of Legend 3 (bad reincarnation roll)
STR 18 DEX 15 CON 14 INT 10 WIS 16 CHA 8

Feats: (note we use Pathfinder feat/level progression, and I have a spare feat from being Human originally)
Ability Focus [Stunning Fist]
Deflect Arrows (Surprisingly useful in this campaign)
Pain Touch
Power Attack
Up the Walls (for sentimental reasons)

Monk: Stunning Fist, Combat Reflexes
Flaw: Weak Willed
Boons/Free Feats: Stand Still, Snake Blood (FRCS version), Alertness

Important Items:
Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Eyes of the Eagle (insane spot now), Cloak of Resistance +1, Bracers of Armor +1
Mwk. Longspear, currently a primary weapon.

and 47660.54 gp.
Most of this is one extremely lucrative (and remarkably deadly) dungeon.

Feats can be retrained (except Stand Still), skills can as well, but levels cannot. I've got enough XP to level up once or to retrain a number of things. Items can be 'upgraded' to higher bonuses.

I've been saving up for a Permanent Greater Magic Fang, but access is limited.

Sources allowed are limited to PHB, MM, DMG; CAd, CAr, CD, CW; FRCS; and CC.

Advice?

Note: Even suboptimal advice is welcome. I'm not looking to make something incredibly strong.

Seerow
2023-03-26, 06:05 PM
Honestly... this is a case where Straight Monk may have been your stronger option. If you want to play this like a Monk, you are currently a 7th level character with 4 points of BAB. On the other hand you now also have 4 levels of Spirit Shaman casting, which does include buffs like Magic Fang, given you're one level of casting progression away from Greater Magic Fang, I'd actually advise against spending gold on that or an amulet of mighty fists.

Actually your best bet may be pivoting into full Divine Gish here. Sacred Fist has full BAB and 8/10 casting progression, requires 8 ranks of kn (religion) and BAB4, both of which you qualify for. It has a big list of feat prereqs but most of them are Monk bonus feats you already have, so you're only really missing Combat Casting, so not hard to retrain for.

As far as what to spend the money on, if you plan to continue using the Spear, a Ki Focus spear will let you stunning fist with your spear attacks, which can be handy. I'd also look for something to boost your size, Enlarge Person isn't on the Druid/Spirit Shaman list so this will be something you want to cover with items.

Past that I'd start looking at Magic Items to assist you with buffing using your casting abilities. Get a wand chamber for your Spear and a wand of a favorite spell you'll want quick access to in combat (Especially any swift action 1 round duration buffs like Swift Expeditious Retreat). I'd give more specifics here but it's been a long time since I played something with the Druid spell list so am not as familiar with what may fit for you here. Extend Metamagic Rod and Bead of Karma are big ticket items that fit within your budget that can help with this.

You mention a concern is you are dying too easily. You've got a +2 str item but with as much wealth as you have access to a +2 Wis, Dex, and Con item are all good ideas to pick up at 4k each. Barkskin as a longer duration buff will help you here (it's +3 now),+1 Deflection ring is 2k. Check if it is possible to add armor properties to your bracers of armor, if so +1 Blurring Bracers of Armor will get you 20% miss chance several times a day which helps a lot. I'd also see if you can get a wizard friend to cast Mage Armor for you once a day (if you must, bribe them with a Pearl of Power 1st level for like 2k gold so they're not even wasting resources on you), as it's much more cost effective than paying for the bracers of armor upgraded to the same effectiveness.

So out of 47k gp I recommend
Rod of Extend, Lesser (3k)
+2 Wis/Dex/Con (12k)
+1 Deflection (2k)
+1 Ki Focus Longspear (8k)
Wand Chamber (100gp)
Upgrade Bracer of Armor with Blurring (3k)
Pearl of Power [1st] (1k)
-------
29.1k total

That leaves slightly short of being able to afford the Bead of Karma, which is probably just as well. Spend the extra on a couple low level wands, finding a way to boost size, and possibly upgrading your Str item and Cloak of Resist.