PDA

View Full Version : Running modules support: Curse of Strahd or Dragon Queen

kaoskonfety
2023-03-27, 07:54 AM
Good day!
Some context - long standing DM, mostly improv/theater of the mind play, lots of home brew setting games etc. I usually run modules for a quick laugh, and mostly the old TSR ones I have laying around that range from a very good evening entertainment (if you don't think too hard), to clearly just a hot mess that put the random into encounters.

But I'm tired most nights the last few years, and am having issue finding enough juice to reliably make it all *work*, and I have the itch to run a campaign a bit, but not the energy to do a full setting build from whole cloth.

So I've got Horde of the Dragon Queen and Curse of Strahd on my shelf already, am reading them and they are a bit... choppy? I can make them work, but I'm looking for resources to reduce the editing/polishing I'm doing. As an example I love the tarroka cards determining where various items and allies are. Some of these options are... bad? just bad. Narratively boring, unchallenging, nonsense or all 3.

I assume the internet is awash in recourses, and at a glance I'm right. Looking for some community suggestions before I dive into reading all of this to find the good stuff.