PDA

View Full Version : The drunken thrower

Soranar
2023-03-28, 05:26 AM
Like many others, I've tried to make a half decent throwing build for a while but I couldn't find a good way to do it short of just using a bloodstorm blade and calling it a day.

Then I read the following description of an arrow

An arrow used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon

and it finally clicked.

A drunken master's improvised weapon deals as much damage as his unarmed strike plus an extra 1d4 points.

So you can draw arrows (or bolts) as a free action (since it's ammunition), throw them and they deal 1d4 damage + your unarmed damage. Technically bolts are part of a simple weapon so you can even use this as a vow of poverty build.

Obviously the requirements for drunken master are a bit limiting but a psychic rogue gets evasion and you can easily combine that with tashalatora and monastic training.

So a level 19 psychic rogue /Drunken master 1, with tashalatora and monastic training gets

-7d6 base sneak attack
-level 19 monk's unarmed strike
-3 rogue special abilities (which might be needed for feats

now we still have 2 problems : you're not actually proficient with improvised weapons and you can't flurry with them either

enter unorthodox flurry

Choose one light weapon. You become proficient with that weapon and can use it as a special monk weapon.

Since your arrows (or bolts) are a light melee weapon, you are now proficient with it and it's still an improvised weapon

you can even increase your size to get more damage since your unarmed strike damage is improved by becoming larger

Now this is what I came up with for this trick, what would you guys do to improve on this?

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-03-28, 05:42 AM
d20 Modern: Martial Arts Mayhem has the Improvised Weapon Proficiency feat. Grants proficiency in all improvised weapons, reach with long improvised weapons, and +2 to disarm attempts with objects that have protrusions of some sort, such as chairs.

Anthrowhale
2023-03-28, 06:01 AM
You don't have a way to reliably trigger sneak attack at range which makes focusing on monk damage make some sense.

A monk's belt allows maximizing unarmed damage.

If you use Blunt arrows they are subject to Greater Mighty Wallop which would make them do 12d8+1d4 damage.

Access to GMW and monk unarmed damage is providable via Erudite + Tashalatora.

Hitting reliably still seems an issue though.

Gruftzwerg
2023-03-28, 08:47 AM
Like many others, I've tried to make a half decent throwing build for a while but I couldn't find a good way to do it short of just using a bloodstorm blade and calling it a day.

Now this is what I came up with for this trick, what would you guys do to improve on this?

Someone called for the devil? ^^

If you are interested into an optimized Bloodstorm Blade with a dip into Drunken Master, have a look at my ShurikeNado (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?526875) build.

It has everything you need:

- use Shuriken or Arrows (as improvised weapons, your choice)
- Drunken Master 2 to get "Stagger" (free direction changes while charging)
- Shock Trooper
- pounce
- TWF feat-line
- can flurry any martial weapon (shou disciple)
- Whirlwind

You basically have a ranged Ubercharger that can alter between TWF (for single target dmg) and Whirlwind (AoE dmg).
And if you really wanna go silly, buy a bunch of "Spellstoring Shuriken/Arrows/Bolts" and bring a Spellcasting buddy along.

Soranar
2023-03-28, 09:16 AM
You don't have a way to reliably trigger sneak attack at range which makes focusing on monk damage make some sense.

A monk's belt allows maximizing unarmed damage.

If you use Blunt arrows they are subject to Greater Mighty Wallop which would make them do 12d8+1d4 damage.

Access to GMW and monk unarmed damage is providable via Erudite + Tashalatora.

Hitting reliably still seems an issue though.

No need for blunt arrows: you can just cast greater mighty wallop on yourself and the size increase applies to your unarmed damage anyway

Anthrowhale
2023-03-28, 09:57 AM
No need for blunt arrows: you can just cast greater mighty wallop on yourself and the size increase applies to your unarmed damage anyway

That's much more efficient as well.