PDA

View Full Version : Discworld and Pratchett references in Oots.

leon666
2023-03-28, 10:01 AM
So my wife loves Discworld and Pratchett, I however could never get on with his writing style. I’m guessing I’ve missed plenty of little references over nearly 1300 comics, so I am asking you for your favourite Discworld references and nods in Oots?

Peelee
2023-03-28, 10:09 AM
One of the biggest references to Discworld the author has made:
I've never read the Discworld novels

ETA: I found another!
This seems to come up a lot, but no, I am not a Pratchett fan. I'm not saying anything against his work, I'm just saying that I never managed to read it before OOTS took off, and now that it has, I consciously avoid it so that I can be sure that my ideas aren't being influenced.

So much so that I don't actually understand the OP's point and how an orangutan reading a book is a Pratchett reference. I selected photos of various primates in positions that lent themselves to reading, playing games, or wearing t-shirts. No reference intended.

leon666
2023-03-28, 10:26 AM

Fair enough, I am very used to watching media with my wife and her pointing out references to Discworld I obviously never recognised. The comic just seemed like a probable gold mine of missed references, guess not.

fergo
2023-03-28, 11:37 AM
Fair enough, I am very used to watching media with my wife and her pointing out references to Discworld I obviously never recognised. The comic just seemed like a probable gold mine of missed references, guess not.

As a big Pratchett fan myself, I can't say that I find media overflowing with references to Pratchett, although there are a handful. I wonder if what you're finding are more examples of the tropes which Pratchett himself was satirising, or other people satirising them in similar ways? But maybe I'm just not reading the right stuff or watching the right shows to find all these Pratchett references!

In any case, in the same way I'm sure that there are incidental cross-overs which Discworld fans might enjoy in OotS, with the Giant playing off the same fantasy tropes and sometimes making similar jokes. Off the top of my head, Julio Scoundrél talking about the Mechane always arriving just at the nick of time has some similarity to a Pratchett bit in (I think) Moving Pictures. There are bound to be plenty of others.

GrayGriffin
2023-03-28, 09:25 PM
I think it's much more probable that assumed Pratchett references are actually a reference to some earlier thing that Pratchett himself was referencing.

Precure
2023-03-29, 01:17 AM
Or references to something that referenced Pratchett.

Verdruss
2023-03-29, 11:29 AM
I think it's much more probable that assumed Pratchett references are actually a reference to some earlier thing that Pratchett himself was referencing.

Yeah, since both stories heavily rely on referencing pop culture and fantasy story tropes, it doesn't come as a surprise that they would talk about and reference the same things. And maybe sometimes the same jokes can be made from different points of view: converging evolution of tropes.

Rynjin
2023-03-29, 11:53 AM

The second reads as a bit odd to me; has he avoided consuming other media entirely in order to avoid "contamination" or just Pratchett since it was pointed out one too many times?

Lord Torath
2023-03-29, 12:53 PM
I suspect only one person on this forum could give you an accurate answer to that question. The rest of us can only speculate.

Peelee
2023-03-29, 12:56 PM
I suspect only one person on this forum could give you an accurate answer to that question. The rest of us can only speculate.

Feel like I could say "there are none" pretty accurately here.:smallamused:

Lord Torath
2023-03-29, 01:30 PM
Feel like I could say "there are none" pretty accurately here.:smallamused:Oh, come on. He posted just two days ago (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?p=25742791#post25742791)!

:tongue:

Precure
2023-03-29, 01:51 PM
The second reads as a bit odd to me; has he avoided consuming other media entirely in order to avoid "contamination" or just Pratchett since it was pointed out one too many times?

Second one. He watched Avatar.

Kish
2023-03-29, 04:36 PM
Well, "just Pratchett." "Since" and everything past it is speculation; I would guess it's, rather, because of a perceived similarity to his own writing which makes him wary of being influenced in a way he isn't by most works.