PDA

View Full Version : Tome of Ancient Lore

schreier
2023-03-29, 03:45 PM
I have a 15th level Wizard/Rainbow Servant .. the DM was kind and accepted the RAW argument/table over text to allow full spell progression. It is a high powered game.

I recently acquired the Tome of Ancient Lore. Any cleric spell can be learned, but will be cast as divine if it is not present on my main spell list.

Issue 1 interpretation, which I think makes sense is that the spell slots, since they can be used to cast divine spells, can be sacrificed for the relic power.

Is this something that can be done day to day?

Issue 2 interpretation - which I am less certain of:
It grants a 50% chance of finding any arcane spell of the highest level I can cast ... or a 100% chance of finding any other spell that I can cast.

Is the 100% chance allowing me to find any spell of level 7 or lower that is eligible to be cast? The most aggressive reading would allow even lvl 8 cleric spells in this case, since it is not the highest level arcane. The most conservative would allow only spells of level 7 or lower that I already have available (which is pretty useless)

The 2 most reasonable interpretations I think are:
1 - I have a 50% chance each day to find a level 8 arcane spell or instead I have 100% chance to find a level 7 spell on either the wizard/sorcerer list or the cleric list

or

2 - I have a 50% chance each day to find a level 8 arcane spell or instead I have 100% chance to find a level 7 wizard/sorcerer spell

Thoughts?

TristanS
2023-03-30, 08:18 PM
I think it's fine to allow the spell slot to come from the rainbow servant divine casting. I would say that RAW would allow max level arcane 50% and any lower level on your spell list, especially since the cleric spells are granted by the god and the god's relationship with the item is how it is granted.

I think that also makes sense.

schreier
2023-04-02, 10:22 AM
Just reread the item ... It says "a boon to arcane spellcasters of all sorts, a tome of ancient lore contains every conceivable spell. " ... Makes me lean towards just arcane spells.

Since you can scribe a prepared spell, it seems like the ideal way to get a lot of spells into your spellbook.

Bavarian itP
2023-04-03, 07:46 AM
the DM was kind and accepted the RAW argument/table over text to allow full spell progression

The table has partial spell progression, the text has the ful progression. So the argument is text over table, as always.

schreier
2023-04-04, 01:45 PM
The table has partial spell progression, the text has the ful progression. So the argument is text over table, as always.

Ignore the typo - and you're right, that's what we did - text over table (not vice versa) so with full progression.

That opened up the questions about the book - is a slot divine since I can cast divine at each level, and can I learn divine spells from the book?

Thanks!