PDA

View Full Version : Epic Bull

HoboKnight
2023-03-30, 03:47 AM
Hey guys,
I'm doing a tad bit of homebrewing and along the way I'd like to learn a bit more about modyfing monsters. I have a group of lvl 11 players(4x paladin, 1x ranged optimized fighter - they can do A TON of damage per round) and gods will send a bull to feed the community over the winter. It will be a massive, tarrasque-like beast. Main goal is for his hp to reflect the feeding ability - his magical meat will enable the community to not starve during winter. The goal is NOT to be an awsome damage dealer or immune to a ton of stuff.

So, i have these bulls stats at my disposal, I'd like to make him collosal and have at least 300 hp. How does this affect CR? Given he will be "soldier" type(high hp, low ac, low dmg), I wonder how to build this beast per DMG.

If any of the number crunchers feel like sharing some advice... :)

Bull

Large beast, unaligned (should be altered to collosal)

Armor Class: 15
Hit Points 10 (2d8+2) (should be altered to 300+hp)
Speed: 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 10 (+0) 15 (+2) 2 (-4) 10 (+0) 6 (-2)

Senses: passive Perception 10
Languages: –
Challenge: 1/2 (50 XP)

Special Traits

Stampede: A frightened herd of cattle flees as a group in a random direction (but always away from the perceived source of danger). They literally run over anything of medium size or smaller that gets in their way, dealing 6 points of damage for every five cattle in the herd (Dexterity save DC 17 half).
Trample: When a bull attempts to overrun an opponent. If the bull knocks the target down, it may immediately make two hoof attacks against him or her, gaining the standard +4 bonus to attack rolls against prone targets.
Rage: When injured, a bull must make a Constitution Save whose DC is equal to 10 plus the damage it took. If it fails, the bull flies into a rage. The bull gains phenomenal strength and durability, but becomes reckless and less able to defend itself. The bull temporarily gains +3 to hit and damage, +10 temporary hit points, and a +2 morale bonus to Wisdom Saves, but suffers a -2 penalty to AC.

Actions

Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4+3) piercing damage.
Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one prone target. Hit: 8 (1d6+4) bashing.
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) bashing damage.

About

Bulls are adult, male cattle. The most exciting bulls are probably those which form the centerpiece of bullfighting, but almost any bull poses a potentially deadly challenge if driven into a rage.

Rukelnikov
2023-03-30, 04:06 AM
It'd take some time to type how modifying monster stats affects their CR, but the info you need is in DMG pg 273.

My recommendation would be take something similar and change it a bit it.

The Dragon Turtle is Gargantuan (there is no RAW colossal size in 5e, Gargatuan is the highest, however you can just make it colossal, having it be 1 size larger than Gargantuan), it has 341 HP, which is what you wanted, its a CR 17 creature

The turtle also has AC 20, lowering it by 4 points will lower its CR by 1, if you don't want it to be as difficult to hit.

You can use the mechanics of the Breath weapon for the Trample, instead of a cone make it a line, instead of fire damage its bludgeoning, you are pretty much done.

If you want the PCs to be able to go all out on this, lower the armor to 16, but maybe give it a little extra HP or regeneration or something, cause 4 Paladins fully rested are gonna destroy this creature in 3 rounds tops, probably 2.

Unoriginal
2023-03-30, 07:21 AM
Hey guys,
I'm doing a tad bit of homebrewing and along the way I'd like to learn a bit more about modyfing monsters. I have a group of lvl 11 players(4x paladin, 1x ranged optimized fighter - they can do A TON of damage per round) and gods will send a bull to feed the community over the winter. It will be a massive, tarrasque-like beast. Main goal is for his hp to reflect the feeding ability - his magical meat will enable the community to not starve during winter. The goal is NOT to be an awsome damage dealer or immune to a ton of stuff.

So, i have these bulls stats at my disposal, I'd like to make him collosal and have at least 300 hp. How does this affect CR? Given he will be "soldier" type(high hp, low ac, low dmg), I wonder how to build this beast per DMG.

If any of the number crunchers feel like sharing some advice... :)

Bull

Large beast, unaligned (should be altered to collosal)

Armor Class: 15
Hit Points 10 (2d8+2) (should be altered to 300+hp)
Speed: 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 10 (+0) 15 (+2) 2 (-4) 10 (+0) 6 (-2)

Senses: passive Perception 10
Languages: –
Challenge: 1/2 (50 XP)

Special Traits

Stampede: A frightened herd of cattle flees as a group in a random direction (but always away from the perceived source of danger). They literally run over anything of medium size or smaller that gets in their way, dealing 6 points of damage for every five cattle in the herd (Dexterity save DC 17 half).
Trample: When a bull attempts to overrun an opponent. If the bull knocks the target down, it may immediately make two hoof attacks against him or her, gaining the standard +4 bonus to attack rolls against prone targets.
Rage: When injured, a bull must make a Constitution Save whose DC is equal to 10 plus the damage it took. If it fails, the bull flies into a rage. The bull gains phenomenal strength and durability, but becomes reckless and less able to defend itself. The bull temporarily gains +3 to hit and damage, +10 temporary hit points, and a +2 morale bonus to Wisdom Saves, but suffers a -2 penalty to AC.

Actions

Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4+3) piercing damage.
Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one prone target. Hit: 8 (1d6+4) bashing.
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) bashing damage.

About

Bulls are adult, male cattle. The most exciting bulls are probably those which form the centerpiece of bullfighting, but almost any bull poses a potentially deadly challenge if driven into a rage.

I'm a bit confused.

Is the bull supposed to fight the PCs at all?

Is he supposed to be running away and the PCs have to kill him anyway?

Is he just a sacrifice to allow the community to live?

Kurt Kurageous
2023-03-30, 11:30 AM
I'm a bit confused.

Is the bull supposed to fight the PCs at all?

Is he supposed to be running away and the PCs have to kill him anyway?

Is he just a sacrifice to allow the community to live?

Is there any loss state possible for the players in this scenario? DO you WANT there to be one? Like the gods are tricksters and send a plus-sized Gorgon? No?

Give party DEX saves to dodge hooves, half if fail, reduce/eliminate damage as appropriate (rage/uncanny dodge/mirror image, lucky, whatever), and end the slaughter. Unless you want a meaningless encounter for some villian to gauge the party's DPR...

Unoriginal
2023-03-30, 11:45 AM
Is there any loss state possible for the players in this scenario? DO you WANT there to be one? Like the gods are tricksters and send a plus-sized Gorgon? No?

Give party DEX saves to dodge hooves, half if fail, reduce/eliminate damage as appropriate (rage/uncanny dodge/mirror image, lucky, whatever), and end the slaughter. Unless you want a meaningless encounter for some villian to gauge the party's DPR...

I mean, if the gods want the PCs to prove they deserve the food, a full fight is relevant. If they have to prove their worth as hunters, then a chase scene is relevant.

If it's just a "the gods give you this boon, now you have to kill it as it waits for death", just a narrated scene where each player is asked if they do something in particular is appropriate.

JackPhoenix
2023-03-30, 05:24 PM
I mean, if the gods want the PCs to prove they deserve the food, a full fight is relevant. If they have to prove their worth as hunters, then a chase scene is relevant.

If it's just a "the gods give you this boon, now you have to kill it as it waits for death", just a narrated scene where each player is asked if they do something in particular is appropriate.

It's a tough animal with low damage. Outcome of the fight is not in doubt, the only thing in doubt is how much resources will the party burn on the fight, and that only matters if there are more fights before the long rest.

Kane0
2023-03-30, 05:54 PM
You could keep the stats pretty much the same as a regular low to mid level beast of your choice (like a big bear), but increase the HP and give it a custom ability that pretty much says 'can only take X amount of damage in a single turn/round' as a way of showing how tough (or fast healing) it is.

KorvinStarmast
2023-03-30, 06:56 PM
Bull
Volo's, Aurochs. Work from there.

HoboKnight
2023-04-06, 01:16 AM
Thanks a lot to everyone :) I made some stats... Any comments are welcome

Bull of Tempus
Gargantuan Beast, Neutral
Armor Class 20 (natural armor) Hit Points 341 (22d20 + 110) Speed 40 ft.
STR25 (+7) DEX10 (+0)CON20 (+5)INT10 (+0)WIS12 (+1)CHA12 (+1)
Saving Throws DEX +6, CON +11, WIS +7
Damage Resistances Fire
Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 11
Languages Aquan, Draconic
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +6
Amphibious. The dragon turtle can breathe air and water.
Actions
Multiattack. The Bull of Tempus makes three attacks: one with its gore and two with its hooves.
Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 26 (3d12 + 7) piercing damage.
Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (2d8 + 7) slashing damage.
Angry Breath (Recharge 5–6). The The Bull of Tempus exhales scalding steam in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw, taking 52 (15d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

da newt
2023-04-06, 08:03 AM
Maybe remove 'dragon turtle' and amphibious, and change the languages to something appropriate for the god who made it?

Thematically I'm not sure if a legendary bull should have such high INT, WIS, CHA - it all depends on what you're going for.

Maybe immune to fear (based on other discussions of this party).

This creature will certainly be a challenge for most folks, but a party of lvl 11 PCs should beat it down with little issue - it will just take a while (if they don't have a good way to incapacitate it). The bull doesn't have a good way to really harm them or give them pause - they can face tank it.

It could use a swallow or something like that that has a consequence that matters. You could come up with something like IMPALED - a creature hit w/ a gore attack is skewered on the bull's horns. While skewered the creature can only reach the horns w/ a melee strike doing no damage, or make ranged attacks (w/ DISADV) and takes an auto 20 damage per round. DC 22 ST check as an action to tear yourself free.