PDA

View Full Version : Metapsionic rods?

schreier
2023-03-31, 11:19 AM
Are there any metapsionic rods or similar items? Seems pretty straight forward, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Ramza00
2023-03-31, 11:33 AM
No and Yes, Athas which is 2nd party 3.5 (the Dark Sun world) added them in the later books and called them Metapsionic Damaru

looks like there is a enlarge, extend, empower, maximize, widen, quicken for official support.

in pathfinder psionics Dreamscarred Press and the other companies never did anything with them.

schreier
2023-03-31, 11:39 AM
I saw the effects listed in the weapons of legacy so it got me thinking. It doesn't mention the expenditure of psionic focus. Do the third party still require you to expend your focus?

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-03-31, 08:53 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has a sidebar with rules on how to craft psionic versions of magic items. Metapsionic rods fit the bill as to the kind of item this applies to.

And no, you wouldn't need to expend psionic focus, since metamagic rods supply all of the costs of metamagic, so a metapsionic rod should do the same.

Rebel7284
2023-03-31, 11:19 PM
And no, you wouldn't need to expend psionic focus, since metamagic rods supply all of the costs of metamagic, so a metapsionic rod should do the same.

Metamagic rods replace the need to prepare the spell in a higher spell slot. While normally this is the only cost, where does it say that it replaces ALL costs? Assuming the rules are indeed silent on this, there is no way to test this one way or another since I don't believe Black Lore of Moil has a metamagic rod.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-01, 05:41 AM
Metamagic rods replace the need to prepare the spell in a higher spell slot. While normally this is the only cost, where does it say that it replaces ALL costs? Assuming the rules are indeed silent on this, there is no way to test this one way or another since I don't believe Black Lore of Moil has a metamagic rod.Metamagic costs are "+X spell slot increases," while the equivalent metapsionic costs are "expend psionic focus + (2x - 2) power points." So expending psionic focus replaces 1 spell slot's worth of increase. So either metapsionic rods replace the need to expend focus, or they need to be cheaper, since they have a significantly smaller effect. Also, rods like Enlarge wouldn't really do much of anything, since they don't replace the cost at all, as you'd need to expend psionic focus anyway, while the metamagic version would replace the spell slot increase.