PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - Nilbogs and Fast Healing/Regeneration?

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-03, 02:31 PM
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/nilbog/

Nilbogs are goblins affected by very strong magics gone wrong, reversing the way they interact with the world in some fundamental ways. Of particular interest to me is the Damage Reversal (Ex) ability.

Damage Reversal (Ex): When struck by any attack that would normally damage the nilbog, it actually gains hit points equal to the damage the attack would have otherwise dealt. A nilbog gains any extra hit points above its normal total as temporary hit points, though it can never have more than twice its normal hit points. (Excess hit points are simply lost.). The nilbog can only be damaged through the use of curative magic and effects (cure light wounds and healing potions, for instance). Curative magic deals damage equal to the amount it would normally heal.

Does that ability reverse the healing done by regeneration and fast healing? Does a half-troll nilbog die from its own regeneration as soon as it kicks in?

Is there any way to (ab)use this in some unusual ways that anyone here can think of?

[edit] I'm thinking Persisted power word: pain and a clamp an ioun stone of exquisite pain.

Wintermoot
2023-04-03, 02:35 PM

Nilbogs are goblins affected by very strong magics gone wrong, reversing the way they interact with the world in some fundamental ways. Of particular interest to me is the Damage Reversal (Ex) ability.

Damage Reversal (Ex): When struck by any attack that would normally damage the nilbog, it actually gains hit points equal to the damage the attack would have otherwise dealt. A nilbog gains any extra hit points above its normal total as temporary hit points, though it can never have more than twice its normal hit points. (Excess hit points are simply lost.). The nilbog can only be damaged through the use of curative magic and effects (cure light wounds and healing potions, for instance). Curative magic deals damage equal to the amount it would normally heal.

Does that ability reverse the healing done by regeneration and fast healing? Does a half-troll nilbog die from its own regeneration as soon as it kicks in?

Is there any way to (ab)use this in some unusual ways that anyone here can think of?

I suppose it will hinge on whether or not you consider regeneration to be "curative magic and effects (cure light wounds and healing potions, for instance)". I would argue that if the regeneration is (ex) it probably should be fine. But if the regeneration comes from a spell, it probably isn't.

Menzath
2023-04-03, 02:54 PM
I think only non-natural regeneration(natural being a template or such), such as from spells or other healing abilities would cause it damage, otherwise it wouldn't live past a few minutes.

As far as abuse I could see an evil character fitting one of these with Armor of the dead emperor (BoVD) while they use the accompanying belt to get back spells cast for free. And unlimited liquid pain to boot.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-03, 04:26 PM
A d2 crusader nilbog has interesting applications, considering that you can go from 0 to 2x max health in one hit...

Chronos
2023-04-03, 05:06 PM
The Positive Energy Plane would screw one over... Depending on whether you ruled the planar traits as being an "effect", it'd either hasten Death By Awesome, or grind down their life.

Telonius
2023-04-05, 10:51 AM
The Positive Energy Plane would screw one over... Depending on whether you ruled the planar traits as being an "effect", it'd either hasten Death By Awesome, or grind down their life.

That one was my first thought too - but I'm not sure it would. Major Positive Energy planes grant Fast Healing 5, but also: "In addition, those at full hit points gain 5 additional temporary hit points per round." So they port in, topped off. Get 5 temporary hit points, which are lost first when it takes the 5 Fast Healing damage, leaving it back at full HP. Temporary HP doesn't exceed normal HP, so no Fort save. I think that as long as it stays exactly at full hp, it wouldn't grind down to zero or explode.

Jack_Simth
2023-04-05, 02:03 PM

[edit] I'm thinking Persisted power word: pain and a clamp an ioun stone of exquisite pain.

Is there a curse that prevents someone from benefiting from magical healing effects? Because that would make one of these basically immune to death by damage.

And they've got an "as characters" section...

A spellcaster of this race could attach the Armor of the dead emperor to itself and have unlimited spell slots and unlimited personal healing....

Promethean
2023-04-05, 07:42 PM
Is there a curse that prevents someone from benefiting from magical healing effects? Because that would make one of these basically immune to death by damage.

And they've got an "as characters" section...

A spellcaster of this race could attach the Armor of the dead emperor to itself and have unlimited spell slots and unlimited personal healing....

Not as amazing as it sounds. For any sane DM, this race is TO only.

Among TO, Dread Emperor Nilbogs wouldn't even stand out much next to other immune-to-HP-damage or Infinite-Spell-Slot builds.