PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk Subclass: The Way of Aen-shi (grappling)

Oramac
2023-04-04, 09:19 AM
Background: I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu about 2.5 years ago, and have absolutely loved it. But the 5e grappling rules are......limited. So I wanted to try to make something a little more flavorful without completely breaking the game. This is a first draft and is probably all kinds of dumb, but it was fun to write.

Also, it's flavor is written with my homebrew world in mind.

GMBinder Link (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-NRnG-EXIMVIEX3fyWSn)

The Way of Aen-shi

The martial art known as Aen-shi was developed by the elves of the Sakaran Empire. It is a graceful, flowing form of grappling designed to slow, restrain, and submit an opponent; even those much larger and stronger than the grappler herself.

The Gentle Art

Beginning at 3rd level, you've learned the basics of the art of Aen-shi. You may attempt to grapple creatures of any size, and when you attempt to grapple or shove a foe, you may use dexterity for your Athletics skill check, instead of strength.

In the Clinch

At 6th level, you're able to more easily capitalize on your opponent's mistakes. When you successfully grapple or shove a creature, you may throw it up to 10 ft in a direction of your choosing. When you throw a creature in this way, you may let it go, or move with it.

Submit Everyone

At 11th level, you understand how to cause damage with your grappling style. You may now attempt to grapple or shove a creature as a part of an unarmed attack, instead of replacing the attack.

Additionally, you may expend 3 ki to attempt to grapple a creature that is normally immune to the grappled condition.

Deep Understanding

At 17th level, you've reached the pinnacle of your training. You cannot suffer the grappled or prone conditions against your will, and creatures that you are grappling have disadvantage on the check to escape your grapple.

Additionally, when you hit with an unarmed strike against a creature you are grappling, you may expend 3 ki to silence the creature. The affected creature cannot cast spells requiring a verbal component until the beginning of your next turn.

Sidebar
> Playing the Way of Aen-shi
>
> It may seem fantastical for someone of normal human size to grapple a huge giant or dragon. In such a case, the DM may determine that you grapple part of such a creature. For example, you might grapple the wing or wings of a dragon, preventing it from flying; or you may grapple the weapon arm of a storm giant, preventing attacks with that weapon.
>
> Work with your DM to come up with suitable situations and effects for your grappling and, above all, have fun!

JNAProductions
2023-04-06, 10:45 PM
Level 3 feels overloaded. Dexterity instead of Strength is needed for a Monk, and grappling a creature of any size is cool. But disadvantage on escapes feels too much for level 3.

Level 6 is neat. I like mobility stuff.

Level 11 feels a little underwhelming-maybe instead make it equal to an unarmed strike, so adding Dex mod and miscellaneous bonuses if applicable.

Level 17 is too good-compare to Quivering Palm. Same Ki cost, different (but still usually strong) save, but an easy way to force disadvantage and can be done on Turn One, instead of Turn Two at the earliest. It also really does NOT feel thematic to this. I'd probably make something entirely different, though what would be suitable for level 17, I'm not sure.

Oramac
2023-04-07, 11:17 AM
Thanks!! I edited the OP with changes.

Level 3 feels overloaded. Dexterity instead of Strength is needed for a Monk, and grappling a creature of any size is cool. But disadvantage on escapes feels too much for level 3.

Moved the DA on escapes part to 17th level.

Level 6 is neat. I like mobility stuff.

Thanks!

Level 11 feels a little underwhelming-maybe instead make it equal to an unarmed strike, so adding Dex mod and miscellaneous bonuses if applicable.

Changed to allow grappling and an attack, instead of replacing the attack. Not sure this will fully fix the issue, but baby steps.

Level 17 is too good-compare to Quivering Palm. Same Ki cost, different (but still usually strong) save, but an easy way to force disadvantage and can be done on Turn One, instead of Turn Two at the earliest. It also really does NOT feel thematic to this. I'd probably make something entirely different, though what would be suitable for level 17, I'm not sure.

Totally changed this. Still not sure it's a good fit for 17th level, but hopefully it's closer.

JNAProductions
2023-04-07, 11:34 AM
Alright, critiques part two.

Level three, good.
Level six, real good.
Level eleven, should probably specify with an unarmed attack-unless that's intentional? It seems a little weird to grapple by bonking someone with a staff.
Level seventeen, not a fan of it. Lemme go into more detail.

Disadvantage on escapes is a good buff at level 17.
But being immune to Prone means that you cannot fall prone to make ranged attacks have a harder time hitting you.
Likewise, immune to Grappled means that, by a strict reading, you cannot let someone else grab you and haul your butt away from danger, even if unconscious.

I'm struggling to think of what COULD be a good capstone feature, though. Maybe borrow a bit from the Way Of The Mother's Bounty, and let you silence a foe by grappling their vocal bit? That wouldn't be ALL you should get, but it'd be a neat thing.

Oramac
2023-04-07, 01:49 PM
Level eleven, should probably specify with an unarmed attack-unless that's intentional? It seems a little weird to grapple by bonking someone with a staff

Haha! Good catch.

Level seventeen, not a fan of it. Lemme go into more detail.

Disadvantage on escapes is a good buff at level 17.
But being immune to Prone means that you cannot fall prone to make ranged attacks have a harder time hitting you.
Likewise, immune to Grappled means that, by a strict reading, you cannot let someone else grab you and haul your butt away from danger, even if unconscious.

I'm struggling to think of what COULD be a good capstone feature, though. Maybe borrow a bit from the Way Of The Mother's Bounty, and let you silence a foe by grappling their vocal bit? That wouldn't be ALL you should get, but it'd be a neat thing.

Yea, I'm not really liking it as written either, but also struggling to come up with something that's both thematic and the right amount of power. I like the idea of silencing someone. That definitely evokes images of a Rear Naked Choke. But yea, there needs to be something else there too.

Hmmm....

MrStabby
2023-04-08, 08:58 AM
I tried something pretty similar, well similar to the first two abilities. In my case I didn't have it as a subclass but rather alternative class features that replaced the level 6 magic fists and some of the martial arts abilities - essentially replacing striking arts with grappling arts.

My guide on the resulting power might be unhelpfully lacking in specificity... it really depends on the DM. So some DMs like low HP enemies and in that case their weakness is their HP and the best way to control them is to apply the dead condition. In these circumstances a marginal increase in damage is probably better. For others, the control of a good grapple or putting an enemy prone is going to be a lot more impactful.

Grappling has a few challenges as well. You have stunning fist as a class ability, and those enemies that resist this tend to be your big brawlers that are better at resisting grapples as well (though with all the ways you can stack bonuses it's not such a big deal.

The bigger issue I found was the monk became crap when dealing with things that couldn't be grappled. A beefed up fire elemental, a ghost... as you go up levels these may become more common. I think your approach will be better here as the core abilities I took away were valuable and less situational. That said, I think there is a risk that you could have some monks feeling they have lost their subclass in some games.

Personally, I would like to see something that works against incorporeal creatures - well anything immune to grapple/shove etc. as something like the level 11 ability. Even just an ability that can be used a few times per day.

I think I take issue with this as a subclass, not because I think monks shouldn't grapple, but because I feel all monks should be able to chose to grapple, not just one subclass.

Oramac
2023-04-21, 08:57 AM
Welp, I've had some time to sleep on this one and I think I've got some changes that address the stated issues. Still not 100% sold on it, but I think it's progress.

The OP has been edited with the changes (11th and 17th level features).

silence a foe by grappling their vocal bit? That wouldn't be ALL you should get, but it'd be a neat thing.

I added this to the 17th level feature, and changed the phrasing to allow you to choose to become prone. Hopefully this is better.

Personally, I would like to see something that works against incorporeal creatures - well anything immune to grapple/shove etc. as something like the level 11 ability. Even just an ability that can be used a few times per day.

I like this as well. I just gave it a ki cost and added it to the 11th level feature.