PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bartering

IllegalCatToss
2023-04-05, 12:15 PM
Okay, so I seen a video a long time ago that talked about the person's players wanting to be merchants, and the DM made an equation that you plug in the player's roll to determine a percent off or percent added to the price. I was hoping anyone knew this video, the current system I'm using is pretty simple, it assumes both people bargaining have similar, or the NPC has higher Charisma, lemmie just draw a little diagram.

<------ - ------>
10 12 15 18 21+

So the basics is if you roll 10 or under you pay 20% more, 12 to 14 is 10% more 15 to 17 Price doesn't budge, 18- 20 10% Less, and finally 21 or above is 20% off

You can roll persuasion twice but the second roll the percentage is halved, so there's a max of 30% either way.

If those ask how a percentage helps, you can multiply say .3 (30%) to a number and than subtract that number, or add to get a discount or different price.

Please let me know what you think :)

MrStabby
2023-04-11, 01:35 PM
Hmm. I am not sure 'bartering' is the word you want. Maybe 'haggling'?

I think that this is maybe a bit restrictive. It forces the role of buyer onto those with good charisma rather than allowing other talents to also work.

Sure, getting a good price might be achieved by being a likable guy or by convincing your interlocutor that you will walk away from a deal, but you could equal well argue that intelligence to accurately gauge the market rate for an item will provide better results. Displaying to a trader a show of knowledge of the provenance of an item or history may lead to better results by using intelligence than charisma.

Likewise if either party is trying to bluff another on their willingness to walk away, then wisdom/insight type focus would be powerful.