PDA

View Full Version : Wanderhome - Wild Tales and Winding Trails

Buckdew
2023-04-05, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the OOC everyone! The Big 16 is here below for reference.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Wanderhome!

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

We will be playing in Haeth, a war-torn world looking to rebuild. The Hæth is beautiful, full of little gods, populated by animal-folk, very hospitable, mostly good and recovering from a war that devastated the land and people who live within it. There is not much violence in the lands anymore.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

I will likely take on 3-4 players. If we only find three, I may make a Kith of my own to join the company.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Mostly using OOTS. I will not be be doing the standard PbP round Robin, but will try to keep things at a reasonable pace for those who can be less active.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

I can't currently post links but I have a few resources at hands for you to make your sheets, you can also just do a write-up in text if you would prefer.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

You will begin with one token, as a sign of my appreciation for your investment! Tokens are a way of taking a hard stance on something, more meaningful than words or actions alone. Tokens aren't meant to be hoarded, but they're not throwaway either. They are meaningful, they are your character taking a stand.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

I would prefer players stick to the following playbooks: Caretaker, Dancer, Exile, Firelight, Fool, Guardian, Moth-Tender, Peddler, Pilgrim, Poet, Ragamuffin, Shepherd, Teacher, Vagabond, Veteran. If you truly feel another Playbook speaks to you, then I will accept it, so long as the Playbook is reasonable and doesn't break some precedents.

I will say on the Veteran, if you unsheathe your weapon, there is no going back on that. I will not make an exception no matter how dire the consequences otherwise, and have no doubts that I will test you if you do choose to pick up that weapon. Making that choice is one that should hold gravity and be respected, waiving it is not respectful or weighty.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Any animal races are accepted! Insects generally tend to be livestock, but happy to make exceptions, as long as your character doesn't make it too weird. You can make Kith the shape of animals that aren't associated with your playbook.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

As per Playbook.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

The people of the land are nearly completely all fundamentally good. This doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or haven't made mistakes in their past, but these are times of peace, restoration and forgiveness.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Some playbooks allow a form of multiclassing, I would advise using those if you would like to multiclass, I wouldn't be sure how to make exceptions for multiclassing otherwise.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

There are no rolls in this game!

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

We don't have to immediately do the "ask 1 question to your right and 1 question to your left" and I am happy to pick this up once you have a grasp of what others are doing or before we begin in an OOC.

This isn't a homebrew rules, but keep in mind our journey tools. I will explain these later.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

The playbooks will prompt you into a bit of storytelling, I want at least this, but make it your own if you'd like. More storytelling doesn't hurt your chances of getting in, but don't go overboard!

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Mostly social, possibly some puzzles, lots of interpersonal relationships, lots of exploring, bring your creativity!

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

As above, use any sources you'd like except for completely homebrew or precedent breaking playbooks. I will ask, don't try to powergame this? It's not really the place for it.

Our wanderers for this journey will be:

PASCAL ALOYSIUS FULGENTIUS, The Frilled Lizard Peddler who is Experienced and Introverted. (He/Him)
TAPPI PROUDTAIL, The Lionsmane Rabbit Caretaker who is Patient and Friendly. (He/Him)
BRIHTWINIA NANEWINK, The Dwarf Lop Rabbit Ragamuffin who is Adorable and A Girl. (She/Her)
ODRÁN LUGAIR, The Grizzled Giant Squirrel Moth-Tender who is Strong and Cheerful. (He/Him)

Feel free to pick your colours and establish any details you'd like with one another. I plan on doing the questions to the left and right at appropriate times when the group is travelling or resting to give the story a bit of flow.

If you have any questions before we start, now is a great opportunity. Make sure to watch this thread if you easily lose track of things or just need reminders, obviously do whatever works best for you!

You can also use this time to drop themes you would like to explore or particular journeys you might like to go on. I'm thinking that each new big location we arrive at will make up a season of travel, but if this is too fast I'm more than happy to slow things down. I'm just aware of the nature of pbp and how things can drag.

I will get a proper IC introduction up within the next few days.

Also, if you could re-post your character sheets here I'd really appreciate it!

MaltholLoth
2023-04-05, 03:15 PM
Hello to all. Tappi here, "I like to speak in green. Wonderful colour don't you know. Full of life and energy."

Not done wander home before, but enjoy good rp, even if mine isn't always the best.

Pronouns: He/Him
Animal: Lionsmane rabbit

Two I am: Patient, Friendly
Two I Feel I Need to Be: Organised, Alert

My Look: Wooden Sandals, Scratchy Cloak, Sea-Blue Clay Canteen,

5 friends in on-board shrines:
Furtive, a god of dust bunnies and cobwebs. They are quiet
Ia, a god of a misplaced kiss. They are caring
Wick, a candle god. They are passionate and/or •luminescent
A family of cloud gods, who are all •oracular.
A nameless, ancient god seeking refuge within your shrine, who is ‡hurt.

Ceremonial object you still honor: A beautiful wooden walking stick adorned with feathers and runes, passed down through generations.

I cannot treasure any longer.: A series of wind chimes of increasing size, rescued from a flaming temple with the help of a ‡cautious priest

Some things I can always do: Notice a little friend everyone else overlooked.

BACKSTORY
Tappi had found his path rather by accident than choice; though that's not too say he didn't choose to follow the path when it was out before him. For you see his childhood didn't involve religion, nor did his parents express any faith that he was aware of. He believed not in a great power, only that there was a life that he did not know of in the world and while he left it in peace to be content, so would be be left in harmony too.
It was a sunny day when he saw a vole set up a small temple and start praying. He approached and observed. Once the vole was done here, he approached and enquired. It seems they had prayed to a god of sunburn, asking for a little relief. The ending conversation opened his eyes to a new world, especially when a small housing red thing appeared to confirm they were the said god. It felt like it was fading away but revealed itself to the vole who restored them.
His ideas changed forever and now, though his belief was still not in a great power, it was in little powers, each going around their lives much like you or I. He chose to sell them out and find a suitable place for each to reside.

Buckdew
2023-04-05, 04:41 PM
I'm sure you'll do fine!

truemane
2023-04-05, 07:05 PM
Hello! I'll be playing Pascal the Peddler. I will be speaking with uncoloured dialogue.

Animal: Frilled Lizard

Two I am: Experienced, Extroverted
Two I Feel I Need to Be: Stern, Watchful

My Look:
Glasses With Many Adjusting Lenses
Ledgers
Dress/Clothes From A Distant Land (fine greatcoat of a sturdy, unfamiliar wool; finely threaded shirt with Nehru collar and buttons carved from some kind of bone; loose, heavy kilt-like bottom garment; soft leather breeches beneath.
Non-Stop Banter
Bubu Mjinga the Royal Goliath Beetle who carries my wares is:
Sturdy (can always: Keep at something that others would give up at; Refuse to yield under pressure)
Resolute (can always: Push something concerning aside; Exert oneself to protect someone else)

*No one ever pronounces 'Bubu Mjinga' correctly, something Pascal finds endlessly amusing.

Wares Carried by Bubu Mjinga
Toys, dolls, and anything else that brings joy wherever you go
Incense, statues, and anything else that appeases the many small and forgotten gods
Nails, tools, and anything else forged from melted-down weapons
Tomes, tapestries, and any other vessels of ancient magic
I’ll never Abandon:
Zo, a small and forgotten •miraculous god from my homeland who lives in a shrine on my beetle.
Long ago I Parted With:
A wilted orchid I must keep secret, a sign of my time helping the rebellion.

Some things I can always do:
Know someone who can help
Intensely examine something
Sit down and do the math
Trade for or trade away one of my many wares
Ask: “What can I do for you?”
Say: “I have a deal for you.” Give them a token if they hear you out and consider it

BACKSTORY
Pascal was born in a very distant part of Haeth. Were you to scale the Skyspire Peaks, survive the pathless desert of Godfall, cross the stormy expanse of the Nullbound Sea, and reach the rocky cliffs of Outerhome beyond, you would still be a long journey from the lush, green humid lands of Pascal’s youth.

If you ask him why he left, he might say he was forced to leave. Or that he chose to. Or that it was a requirement of his people. Or a test. Or a punishment. If called on these contradictions, he might shrug his shoulders, frills rippling in disquiet, and say that they are all true and none are true. That the truth, like the past, is complicated, and the telling of each speaks more about the speaker than the story.

He has been travelling across Haeth for many years. Before the war, he passed supplies and information and news and messages to those small gatherings of disquiet that eventually coalesced into the rebellion. And when the rumblings turned to rage, and the words turns to swords, and the anger to blood, still he travelled. Under the sun, he traded wares. His other work he did in the darkness.

The land knows peace now and he has purged from himself both the pride and the shame he felt for who he is, and the things he felt he needed to do. But still he travels, trading in songs and smiles and hospitality and joy. And he cares for the small and forgotten gods wherever he can and wherever he must, so they might help heal the land and the people upon it.

And every hill he crests, every valley he crosses, every bridge he stands upon, he pauses for a moment and listens. He listens to the low mournful howl of the wind across the land, hoping that this time, the wind will whisper that it is time to go home.

I'm excited to get started. I really like Wanderhome but have found it hard to find a way into it. So I'm always happy to give it another try.

Kit-the-Kitsune
2023-04-05, 07:49 PM
Hello! My name is Briht! Brihtwinia Nanewink! Dwarf Lop Rabbit Ragamuffin! (hehe I like saying that!) I'll be speaking in a Postel Pink colour. It's pale but vibrant and very cute! Like me!

Brihtwinia Nanewink, The Ragamuffin.
[Pronouns: She/Her
Animal: Dwarf Lop Rabbit

Two I am: Adorable, A Girl
Two I Feel I Need to Be: Attentive, Respectful

My Look:
Awkwardly Sized Maroon Cloak
Flowers Forever In Hand
Stompin’ Boots
An Overwhelming Love For Life

two life lessons I have been taught:
Kindness is stronger than anything else.
It’s better to give a gift than to receive it.

two life lessons I have rejected:
All stories are lies.
Even this will end.

Something I carry openly:
A necklace with a painting of your birth family in it.

Something I carry secretly:
An encoded scroll that you can’t read, pressed into your hands by one of the last heroes of the rebellion.

Get distracted.
Get really invested in a new interest.
Blurt out a secret.
Somehow manage to squeeze yourself out of trouble.
Ask: “Do you wanna hang out with me?” They get a token if they say yes.
Ask: “Do you wanna see something really cool?” They get a token if they say yes.

BACKSTORY:
Birthed into a normal rabbit family consisting of farmers, peddlers, blacksmiths and store owners. She is living a life of playful mischief and fun but one day she decided to go out on an adventure to see the world, discover more about herself, make new friends and one day she hopes she will return home to settle down, start a family and business but one side of her wishes her journey never ends.]

Can't wait to begin. Roleplay has been a big part of me so I am excited.

Qazgir
2023-04-05, 11:00 PM
Hey all, the names Odrán Lugair. I'll be speaking in brown, the color of my moth's wings.

Animal: Grizzled Giant Squirrel

Two things my job asks me to be: Proper, Cautious
Two things I am: Strong, Cheerful

My Look:
-Well-Worn Moth-Tending Uniform
-Mottled Bark-Colored Cloak
-Satchel Full Of Papers
-Finely-Tailored Tie

One thing I would devote my life to protecting: A sterling silver pin affixed to your vest, representing your oath to the Moth-Tending organization.

One thing that’s in danger of failing apart: The wisdom of your caring adoptive mother, who reminded you to always be yourself.

Three letters or packages I’m carrying with me and their destinations:
-An envelope stuffed with a whole village’s worth of care for a wandering and miraculous wizard-in-exile.
-A lost kid you’re helping to escape a bad situation for a relaxed old farmer with a big family.
-A letter checking in from an old friend for a witchy and shrewish witch deep in the Miremuck Swamp

-Follow the moths.
-Fidget.
-Write something down on a piece of paper.
-Tell everyone what phase the moon is in right now.
-Ask: “Have you heard the news?”
-Say: “I have a letter for you!” They get a token if they accept the letter.

Background: Odrán knew he wanted to be a Moth-Tender from the moment he first laid eyes on a moth, many many years ago. Raised in a remote village where the arrival of a moth or Moth-Tender was always a cause for celebration, Odrán possessed a wanderlust which seemed to him a perfect fit for such a profession.

Once he was old enough, he begged a Moth-Tender to take him on as an apprentice, and that was the start of the rest of his life. In some ways, the War changed things, suddenly the letters he was asked to pass in secret had a new weight, endowed with even greater meaning. But in other ways, life went on as it always had, he followed the moths, checked in on their towers, and delivered what needed to be delivered.

But the war is in the past, and packages still need to be delivered, so Odrán continues on his way, content that he can help heal the land and its inhabitants by helping to connect them to each other.

I'm a fan of roleplaying, but I'm pretty new to PbP games, so its still awkward for me.

Buckdew
2023-04-08, 07:49 PM
So, we begin!

Feel free to pick up your own Kith and tell their stories, but I'm here to voice them if you would instead like to focus on your playbook exclusively.

I am assuming that Pascal will be voicing Bubu Mjinga and Odrán his moths.

Odrán can choose whether he wants to voice the kid or not, Tappi can choose whether or not to voice his gods, Pascal can choose whether he wishes to voice Zo.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?655548-Wanderhome-Wild-Tales-and-Winding-Trails&p=25753300#post25753300

I'm not going to pester for daily posts or anything, just make sure you're checking in when you can and let me know if you have to go for any extended period so we're not waiting on you!

I'll do my best to keep moving things forward at a good pace, so you may miss out on a chance to say something at worst.

You all begin with one token to represent the hopes and ambitions you have for this new journey, you can spend it as you wish or hold onto it if you would like instead. Both options are equally valid but you will receive plenty of other tokens along the way.

truemane
2023-04-13, 07:52 AM
Just FYI, everyone. The "Actions" link in my sig is a googledoc with all the Get a Token/Pay a Token actions, as well as each of our playbooks' "You can always do" Actions.

Just so everyone has that stuff near to hand.

Buckdew
2023-04-14, 01:06 AM
These are really useful! Wish I'd thought to throw these up.

Thanks.

truemane
2023-04-14, 12:07 PM
No problem!

I find Googledocs linked in the OP of the OOC thread to be a great way to track things in PbP games. My sig is just good for me because I can always find it.

:smallsmile:

Buckdew
2023-04-20, 01:17 PM
Hey, I'm really sorry to let you all down, I was really excited for this.

I don't think I'm really up for the PbP format like this anymore to be honest. I guess I'm just wired differently now in some way, but I just can't seem to do it the way I used to.

I'm not sure if you'd want to continue on as a troupe or not, it's up to you.

Apologies for taking up your time and not really getting to go on the journey I was hoping to with you folks.

I'm glad we got to at least have a short foray into it.

truemane
2023-04-20, 01:22 PM
Thanks for giving it a try!

MaltholLoth
2023-04-21, 01:08 AM
Sorry for my lack of participation, work has been busier than expected and evenings have been house move prep. And most of what I think I would have contributed was small comments. Perhaps I'm getting better suited to small comments more frequently on discord.

Thank you though.