PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Archer (not necessarily an "Arcane Archer") Build

NobleSavage
2007-12-04, 09:26 PM
Right, so I'm looking for an interesting magic wielding archer-person. Looking at taking Scout as the "combat" class and bard as the magic class. I thought I wanted an "Arcane Archer," but after looking it over it turns out I don't so much. I'm looking for something that'll let me deliver spells, generally of the enchantment variety, via arrow. Not that it matters so much, but I'm looking at elf for race. What do y'all think? Should I bother with a PrC (would spellsword work?), or just get a Spell-Storing bow? I'm not tied to either of the base classes, but thats the way I'm leaning.

Swooper
2007-12-05, 08:23 AM
There's a metamagic feat called Smiting Spell in... I think it was PHB2. It let's you deliver a spell through a weapon, and it works for ranged weapons too.

Depending on the powergamy-ness of your group, scout/bard may not be such a good idea for a gish type character... But I'll leave that to you.

Jarchh
2007-12-05, 08:34 AM
Smiting spell is in the PHB 2, i'm near certain. It's the easiest way to do it.

I'm not sure about the scout bard combo... it's a bit strange on all levels how are you roleplaying an extremely social class like bard mixing with a bit of an anti-social class like scout? I always liked the mix of bard and swashbuckler... but that probably isnt ideal for range.... have you thought about ranger taking the archer tree of free feats?

Nebo_
2007-12-05, 08:37 AM
Two levels of Arcane Archer is all you need to deliver spells through an arrow. Something like: Sorcerer 4/Ranger 2/AA 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 7 would work well. Or you could ask your DM if you can let the duskblade's arcane channeling ability work with a bow.

Person_Man
2007-12-05, 10:35 AM
You may wish to consider an Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3)/PrC Archer. Although they're divine casters, they have access to every domain, and thus tons of arcane spells. But because they're divine, they don't have to worry about spell failure from armor. And they have access to every divine spell, making them the supreme buffing class.

Similarly, a Ranger with the Sword of the Arcane Order feat from Champions of Valor can memorize Wizard spells. This means you can go Ranger 20, full BAB, half caster, and no crazy multi-classing.

Hexblade archer builds are ok. Small Hexblades mounted on an Improved Familiar are particularly good archers, and you can Share Spells.

If you want a Green Arrow-ish feel, be a Kensai Archer. Enchant a bow with useful abilities and use all the gp you save from not having to buy a bow to invest in a ton of different types of ammo. But this lends itself to few or no spells.

If you want a Spell Storing bow, its usually best to just invest in a class with UMD or just ask another party member to cast spells into your bow for you. It's a lot more efficient then multi-classing.

FinalJustice
2007-12-05, 11:19 AM
Go Scout/Sorcerer/Spellwarp Sniper and buy 'Spell Thematics: Bow and Arrow'. You can be batman throwing energy-spell-arrows from you mystic bow all over the place, and when it comes to a single enemy, you can deal abusive loads of damage using Split Ray to double 5th level Spellwarped Spells. You can do a ridiculous ammount of 30d6 damage spliting a spellwarped orb of fire, with double chance of stunning. I've done it, and it was really fun.

cupkeyk
2007-12-05, 11:54 AM
Both Scout and Bard have 3/4 BAB and you won't be hitting as often as you want. My suggestion would be an Elf Wizard with Smiting Spell, Taking ten levels of Swiftblade (WoTC website) and five of Abjurant Champion(CMage). 17 BAB, 8th level spells, caster level 16 (20 with practiced spellcaster) and a whole lot of nifty abilities.

Wraithy
2007-12-05, 11:55 AM
I'm sorry, but when you said you wanted to deliver enchantments through arrows I automatically imagined you shooting an arrow of charm person into a guard "you shot me! now I'll help you!":smallbiggrin:

cupkeyk
2007-12-05, 12:00 PM
And Magic Item Compendium says no spell storing arrows. Spell storing bows only work if you use it as a club. The description lacks the sentence "Bows etc, bestow whatever to their ammunition."

Thrown weapons are legal for spell storing.

Spears can be made Spell Storing though, so you can use a Spear Chucker (Whatever...) from Sandstorm, but they'd be hell expensive.

Lapak
2007-12-05, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry, but when you said you wanted to deliver enchantments through arrows I automatically imagined you shooting an arrow of charm person into a guard "you shot me! now I'll help you!":smallbiggrin:Cupid, Arcane Archer Extraordinaire?