PDA

View Full Version : Magic Ring Spell Triggered Item

incog64
2023-04-06, 12:16 PM
Can a magic ring be a spell triggered item?

Biggus
2023-04-07, 12:40 AM
I don't think there's anything in the rules stopping you making one. The DMG on p.229 says that rings can have charges and that some have "exceptional activation methods" rather than the usual command word or continuous, and the Rules Compendium sidebar on p.83 says there's no reason wands can't come in other forms.

incog64
2023-04-07, 11:31 AM
I don't think there's anything in the rules stopping you making one. The DMG on p.229 says that rings can have charges and that some have "exceptional activation methods" rather than the usual command word or continuous, and the Rules Compendium sidebar on p.83 says there's no reason wands can't come in other forms.

Thank you for your comment. It is very helpful.

Vaern
2023-04-07, 02:45 PM
I don't see a reason why you can't, but is there a particular reason you need to? Spell trigger and command word both have a standard action activation that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Spell trigger only adds the caveat of needing the spell to be on your spell list. Besides one being more restrictive in who can use the item and the other being a little bit more expensive, they are functionally identical. I would personally insist on reserving spell trigger activation for wands and staves, if for no other reason than to give the relevant feats a reason to exist.

The bit in the DMG referring to "exceptional activation methods" is likely referring to the rings of Elemental Command in particular, which appear and function as lesser rings until the wearer completes a side quest to activate their full potential.

Biggus
2023-04-07, 06:08 PM
I would personally insist on reserving spell trigger activation for wands and staves, if for no other reason than to give the relevant feats a reason to exist.

In many cases you'd be better off just having a wand or staff as they don't take up space on the body.

The bit in the DMG referring to "exceptional activation methods" is likely referring to the rings of Elemental Command in particular, which appear and function as lesser rings until the wearer completes a side quest to activate their full potential.

Quite possibly, and they probably had the ring of three wishes in mind when they wrote the bit about having charges. In any case, the way it's written leaves the door very much open for nonstandard rings.

Ramza00
2023-04-07, 06:16 PM
I don't see a reason why you can't, but is there a particular reason you need to? Spell trigger and command word both have a standard action activation that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Spell trigger only adds the caveat of needing the spell to be on your spell list. Besides one being more restrictive in who can use the item and the other being a little bit more expensive, they are functionally identical. I would personally insist on reserving spell trigger activation for wands and staves, if for no other reason than to give the relevant feats a reason to exist.

In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night; No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, Beware my power: Green Lantern's LIGHT!

Is less fun if it is magic staff and not a magic ring 💍

Vaern
2023-04-07, 07:13 PM
Quite possibly, and they probably had the ring of three wishes in mind when they wrote the bit about having charges. In any case, the way it's written leaves the door very much open for nonstandard rings.

Ring of the Ram comes with 50 charges like a typical wand or staff. That was the first thing I looked at for an example of an existing charged ring, but it's command word activated rather than spell trigger.

Chronos
2023-04-08, 07:40 AM
Just a reminder that the rules for magic items are in the DMG, not the PHB, for a reason. The DM decides what magic items can and cannot, and do and do not, exist in their campaign. If a magic item can exist, then a PC with the relevant feats, raw materials, XP, and other prerequisites can make it. But players never get to just invent their own magic items (at best, they can ask their DM if a particular item is possible).

If you're the DM, then sure, wand-rings can exist if you want them to, and if you don't want them to exist, they don't, and you can decide what rules you want to apply to them.

Gruftzwerg
2023-04-08, 09:29 AM
Just a reminder that the rules for magic items are in the DMG, not the PHB, for a reason. The DM decides what magic items can and cannot, and do and do not, exist in their campaign. If a magic item can exist, then a PC with the relevant feats, raw materials, XP, and other prerequisites can make it. But players never get to just invent their own magic items (at best, they can ask their DM if a particular item is possible).

If you're the DM, then sure, wand-rings can exist if you want them to, and if you don't want them to exist, they don't, and you can decide what rules you want to apply to them.

Sadly it really boils down to: "Ask your DM"...

Because there are optional rules for custom magic items (like on a different slot; or when you combine 2 items into a single one;...).

The sole option that comes to my mind is a Casting Glove (MIC).
It can store a wand and lets you use it as if it is in your hand.
If your group plays with the optional magic item rules, you could theoretically make a "Casting Ring".

incog64
2023-04-08, 10:19 AM
In many cases you'd be better off just having a wand or staff as they don't take up space on the body.

I am trying a build as TWF with knowledge devotion via a cloistered cleric dip. There are a couple of cleric spells level 1-3 spells that would help that feat a lot. Since I will be dual wielding weapons, I don't have room for a wand. So it would make sense, to me, to have a ring or two that would help me boost my knowledge rolls and since I will have cleric, use a spell trigger instead of a command would be cheaper. Thoughts?

Biggus
2023-04-08, 11:07 AM
I am trying a build as TWF with knowledge devotion via a cloistered cleric dip. There are a couple of cleric spells level 1-3 spells that would help that feat a lot. Since I will be dual wielding weapons, I don't have room for a wand. So it would make sense, to me, to have a ring or two that would help me boost my knowledge rolls and since I will have cleric, use a spell trigger instead of a command would be cheaper. Thoughts?

Have you thought about weapons with wand chambers (Dungeonscape p.34)?

incog64
2023-04-09, 11:13 AM
Have you thought about weapons with wand chambers (Dungeonscape p.34)?

That is a great idea. Thanks.

Thurbane
2023-04-10, 05:29 AM
Just as an aside, here's a list of official spell trigger items, and while none are rings, several of them aren't wands: All Spell Trigger Items (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?633941)