PDA

View Full Version : Bugbear Rune Knight

Dr.Samurai
2023-04-06, 01:54 PM
If a bugbear grows to Huge size, can it still fit in a space for a small creature? Are there any applications for this?

RogueJK
2023-04-06, 03:37 PM
The abilities do what they say. Nothing more or less.

Giant's Might lets you grow to Large, and eventually Huge. Sneaky says you can squeeze into a spot large enough for a Small creature. Neither has conflicting language.

Therefore, yes... Even as Large/Huge, you are still Sneaky and can fit into a Small space.

(Whereas if the wording stated that you could squeeze into a spot large enough for a creature one size category smaller than you, that would change things.)

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-04-06, 04:56 PM
If a bugbear grows to Huge size, can it still fit in a space for a small creature? Are there any applications for this?

To me RAI and common sense would dictate just one size smaller, but I could see a DM ruling either way. If they did allow it players could fight from all sorts of tight places and certainly drag all sorts of enemies into places they don't want to be.

diplomancer
2023-04-06, 05:22 PM
I'd say yes, he can squeeze; but nevertheless he's also squeezing if he wants to be in a place that's big enough for a Large creature

da newt
2023-04-06, 06:18 PM
Raw - what is the difference between a MED sized creature and a SMALL sized creature wrt how much space they occupy and where they can squeeze?

I haven't been able to find anything that points to a difference at all. I think it's just flavor, but I'd love to find an actual written rule that provides a mechanical advantage ...

Schwann145
2023-04-06, 06:28 PM
RAW and RAI clearly at conflict here.
DM's call but it'd be crazy to let Huge thing squeeze into Small space. Crazy.

Unoriginal
2023-04-06, 07:15 PM
Raw - what is the difference between a MED sized creature and a SMALL sized creature wrt how much space they occupy and where they can squeeze?

I haven't been able to find anything that points to a difference at all. I think it's just flavor, but I'd love to find an actual written rule that provides a mechanical advantage ...

Unless I'm mistaken, Small characters can squeeze in spaces where Tiny characters can just go through without issue. A Medium creature would be unable to do that normally.

Amnestic
2023-04-07, 03:04 AM
RAW, it works.
In my game I'd not let it though, I'd say they can squeeze for one size smaller than their current size without restriction.

Unless I'm mistaken, Small characters can squeeze in spaces where Tiny characters can just go through without issue. A Medium creature would be unable to do that normally.

Yep. I'm in an all-goblin lair-defense game at the moment and squeezing for small vs. medium creatures has come up a lot. A tiny squeeze hole is an exit/entrance for a goblin, it's a blockage for a human.

Waazraath
2023-04-07, 04:10 AM

There is no RAW here imo. If the RAW is for the med sized default, there are no rules for the [enlarges with ability] version and it's right in the middle of 'ask your DM'-territory.

Thunderous Mojo
2023-04-08, 01:22 AM
Are there any applications for this?

PHB pg 191:
you can move through a hostile creature's space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you. Remember that another creature's space is difficult terrain for you.

Sneaky allows a Bugbear PC to be able to move through and stop in small spaces as if they were small size, without Squeezing.

In plain language, a PC Bugbear can move and stop in places, just like a small character. If this is allowed in combat, a Bugbear Runeknight in Huge form can move through the squares of Small, Medium, and Huge sized creatures.

Time to rush the passer!
(If this interpretation is used)

I love the image of a Giant sized Warrior, gracefully weaving their way through a combat.

da newt
2023-04-08, 09:17 AM
OK so per RAW a medium sized bugbear can fit into/through small sized spaces without squeezing, but small sized places are the same size as medium sized spaces, so there is no mechanical effect. The effect as written does not mention anything about being able to fit into a tiny space (squeezing or otherwise).

Further any PC can move through the space of a friendly creature (difficult terrain), but cannot move through the space of a hostile creature unless it is at least 2 sizes larger or smaller than you and even then it's difficult terrain.

The ability does not change your size, it only does what it says - the MED bugbear can fit into/through SMALL spaces.

"Sneaky. You are proficient in the Stealth skill. In addition, without squeezing, you can move through and stop in a space large enough for a small creature."

"Squeezing into a Smaller Space: A creature can squeeze through a space that is large enough for a creature one size smaller than it. Thus, a Large creature can squeeze through a passage that's only 5 feet wide. While squeezing through a space, a creature must spend 1 extra foot for every foot it moves there, and it has disadvantage on attack rolls and Dexterity saving throws. Attack rolls against the creature have advantage while it抯 in the smaller space."

"Moving Around Other Creatures: You can move through a nonhostile creature's space. In contrast, you can move through a hostile creature's space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you. Remember that another creature's space is difficult terrain for you. Whether a creature is a friend or an enemy, you can't willingly end your move in its space. If you leave a hostile creature's reach during your move, you provoke an opportunity attack, as explained later in the section."

Now I will say as a DM I'm in favor of ruling that this effect/ability is much more useful than written - I like to lean into the flavor, but RAW I can find zero mechanical effect.

diplomancer
2023-04-08, 09:24 AM
PHB pg 191:
you can move through a hostile creature's space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you. Remember that another creature's space is difficult terrain for you.

Sneaky allows a Bugbear PC to be able to move through and stop in small spaces as if they were small size, without Squeezing.

In plain language, a PC Bugbear can move and stop in places, just like a small character. If this is allowed in combat, a Bugbear Runeknight in Huge form can move through the squares of Small, Medium, and Huge sized creatures.

Time to rush the passer!
(If this interpretation is used)

I love the image of a Giant sized Warrior, gracefully weaving their way through a combat.

I'm not sure about this interpretation. Your size is still Huge, and the combat rule cares about the moving creature's size compared to the hostile creature's size, not the space the moving creature occupies. In the same way, a Huge Bugbear can't ride a Large Warhorse, even if he can fit, without squeezing, on top of one.

If the interpretation was true, though, a Huge Bugbear would be able to pass through the space of any creature. If it's Large or bigger, he would be able to pass because he would count as two sizes smaller. If it's Medium or smaller, he would be able to pass because he's two sizes bigger. By the same logic, a Medium bugbear would be able to ride a Wolf, though.

Furthermore, re-reading the Bugbear's Sneaky feature, I realize they can't squeeze into tiny places, they just don't need to squeeze into small ones.

OK so per RAW a medium sized bugbear can fit into/through small sized spaces without squeezing, but small sized places are the same size as medium sized spaces, so there is no mechanical effect.

True only if playing on a grid. And even on a grid, if there are walls in the square or low tunnels or something, a DM might well rule that a Medium creature would have to squeeze to pass through and a Small creature wouldn't. Remember, the 5󬊅 is not about the creature's dimensions but about what it controls. Small and Medium creatures control the same amount of space, but that doesn't mean their dimensions are the same.

Thunderous Mojo
2023-04-08, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure about this interpretation.

Absolutely fair. I抦 not so sure about it either. 🃏

Conceptually though, a Halfling or any small creature can slip through the legs of a Giant, because they are able to move through, and stop in Small spaces.

As can the Bugbear.
The essence of the Bugbear抯 Sneaky ability is: it moves like a small creature.

I could see myself using this simplified interpretation for a Theater of the Mind game, in which positioning is less emphasized than a game with miniatures.