PDA

View Full Version : Factions that fight magic abuse with build options

Avigor
2023-04-08, 12:05 AM
I know offhand of the Cult of the Shattered Peak and Olin Gisiae both described in Lost Empires of Faerun, can anyone else think of any other specific groups that are specifically stated out in any 3.5 campaign setting that have a mandate of keeping forbidden lore forgotten or stopping people from going too far with magic in general, and which have specific build options of some sort? Not as familiar with Eberron's lore as I'd like, but I can't help but suspect there's at least one there (maybe someone trying to make sure the Mourning doesn't happen again?), and probably more in Faerun I may have forgotten about or just never stumbled across. I'm looking for inspiration to help refine an idea I might be sharing at some point...

Bohandas
2023-04-08, 06:10 PM
There was the one in Tome of Magic that was suppressing knowledge of Binding magic, there's the Athar from Planescape who want to boot out the gods, the followers of Shar in Forgotten Realms want the weave gone so that Shar's shadow weave will be a monopoly, and I think magic is illegal in much of Dark Sun due to a combination of the setting's historical misuse of black magic that destroyed the climate of the planet and the current rulers' desire to eliminate any potential competition

Paragon
2023-04-09, 01:12 PM
The Forsaker class (CW iirc) should be right for what you're looking for