PDA

View Full Version : Grapple-Hurler?

dyslexicfaser
2007-12-04, 10:46 PM
Some grappling posts on these boards have inspired my interest in creating a grappling, Hulking Hurler build. Ideally, you would be able to hurl boulders (or buildings, or whatever) at people from a distance, or close to melee range, grapple (Using Scorpion's Grasp, maybe?), punch them a lot, and then pick them up and use them as projectiles.

I was thinking Half-Giant (LA+1) PsyWar5/HulkingHurler3/PsyWarX?

That would enable some Expansion size increases and Grip of Iron to be able to win most grapples (barring Freedom of Movement or, you know, trying to grapple a dragon), maybe the claw manifestation for the initial grapple attack (does Scorpion's Grasp count claw attacks as grapple starters?), and so on.

Thoughts? Any reasons why this wouldn't work?

streakster
2007-12-04, 11:21 PM
I can't see any reason why not. Check out the ToB, by the way - there are some really neat throwing maneuvers in there. Setting Sun, I think it was...

dyslexicfaser
2007-12-04, 11:33 PM
Setting Sun rocks (my favorite discipline), but I don't think the game I'm gonna use him for allows ToB.

RTGoodman
2007-12-04, 11:49 PM
For a lot of powerful (and border-line cheesy) builds that focus on hurling things and just being gigantic, there's the War Hulk PrC from Miniatures Handbook. It's highly abusable (and ridiculous), but if your DM approves it, you might want to take a look at it.

And luckily for you, it's available online on the Wizards website. Go here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a) and just scroll down until you get to the Miniatures Handbook preview. There's a picture of an ogre with a giant flail - you can't miss it.

dyslexicfaser
2007-12-04, 11:54 PM
Warhulk is pretty awesome.

Quick thought - if I use Scorpion's Grasp feat on a mighty swing, could I then grapple... well... everybody around me?

RTGoodman
2007-12-05, 12:02 AM
Well, Scorpion's Grasp says you can hold one opponent grappled in your offhand (with a -20 to grapple checks), so you can do it at least once. If you're gigantic (half-ogre, maybe with something to enlarge you) and take levels of War Hulk (which keeps your Str sky-high) that -20 isn't going to be too bad, so you maybe do it.

Really, though, I focus on hurling stuff, and if enemies get too close, have at them with a big 2-handed weapon (for 1.5 times your Str mod).

Grey Watcher
2007-12-05, 12:03 AM
For a lot of powerful (and border-line cheesy) builds that focus on hurling things and just being gigantic, there's the War Hulk PrC from Miniatures Handbook. It's highly abusable (and ridiculous), but if your DM approves it, you might want to take a look at it.

And luckily for you, it's available online on the Wizards website. Go here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a) and just scroll down until you get to the Miniatures Handbook preview. There's a picture of an ogre with a giant flail - you can't miss it.

Wait a minute, does this thing get NO BAB progression? I mean, yeah, it gets a Strength increase at every level, but I've never seen something that flat out had no BAB at all....

RTGoodman
2007-12-05, 12:04 AM
Wait a minute, does this thing get NO BAB progression? I mean, yeah, it gets a Strength increase at every level, but I've never seen something that flat out had no BAB at all....

That was my first reaction also. Yes, it really gets no BAB progression, but the +2 Str every level evens out the attack bonus. Power Attack is basically nerfed, but it doesn't matter when you've got like 48 Str or something.

And let's not forget that the article also encourages people to go to Savage Species to find a race that qualifies (further encouraging massive devastation).

Cuddly
2007-12-05, 11:35 AM
You know, hulking hurler is a little broken....

Person_Man
2007-12-05, 12:04 PM

That's why the best entry is Cleric or something similar. Divine Power (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsDtoE.html#divine-power) FTW.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-05, 12:07 PM
The Cheese...The cheese! Combine it with the Fighter's dungeoncrasher, and it'll be even MORE broken.

Prometheus
2007-12-05, 02:26 PM

This is so odd because I was just thinking of a grapple-hurler build for a psychic warrior. Thanks a lot!

What does the ability "No time to think" do? The website neglected to mention.

AstralFire
2007-12-05, 02:31 PM

Yep. It's a Gestalt Munchkin or Theoretical Gamer's *dream* for Melee.

AstralFire
2007-12-05, 02:32 PM
This is so odd because I was just thinking of a grapple-hurler build for a psychic warrior. Thanks a lot!

What does the ability "No time to think" do? The website neglected to mention.

I believe it either prevents use or applies a severe penalty to any skills which require a mental stat, as well as spellcasting. I'm not a big fan of the class other than for thought exercises, so I'm not too sure on the precise effect.

Person_Man
2007-12-05, 03:31 PM
I would also note that there is no such thing as a broken melee build in my opinion. No matter how much damage a melee build can dish out in one turn, it really can't compare to the high spells of full casters.