PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Lifting [Star Wars Edge of the Empire] OOC

ybn1197
2023-04-10, 10:15 AM
This is the Out of Character thread for the Heavy Lifting Star Wars Edge of the Empire campaign.

Player
Species
Career
Sheet

tonberrian
Droid
Soldier
BX-0871-KT (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1liO4x6KLzDpFrLIskAe3w54NyozHvaLMtqJCqjT1QVQ/edit#gid=1066673560)

Lord Raziere
Twi'Lek
Technician
Neya Zarell (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25741304&postcount=22)

Ragnarok'n'Roll
Human
Spy
Kara Salmis (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2771766)

Rakaydos
Shistavanen
Guardian
Rakesh (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25745999&postcount=45)

Mutazoia
Zabrak
Bounty Hunter
Xalaran (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rBAGLa2uB4PjA6bcMMzAbqDjNN_3943p/view)

Glyphstone
Aleena
Smuggler
Djulla Choi (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eaxaTbhp106BIiu9JY_XFHd_JEdYwSmo/view)

Many thanks to tonberrian for the character table.

tonberrian
2023-04-10, 12:36 PM
So I'm in favor of the Wayfarer. As for name, Some suggestions: Serial Peacemaker, One for the Money, Kitesfear, Empress Marava, Beowulf, Annic Nova. You might be able to place some of these. (I'm very bad at names.)

Rakaydos
2023-04-10, 01:05 PM
The wayfarer is a transport. Bristlecrone would be a more apt name. :p

So, are we primarally cargo haulers? Ironically, the wayfarer is actually a bit big to handle odd jobs.

ybn1197
2023-04-10, 01:07 PM
So, are we primarally cargo haulers? Ironically, the wayfarer is actually a bit big to handle odd jobs.

I'm letting the group decide for purposes of your background. I have supplied the list of possible ships, the decision is yours.

The Glyphstone
2023-04-10, 02:39 PM
What I like about the Wayfarer is that its size makes it versatile. The only thing it can't do is be sneaky or dogfight, but pairing it with an onboard snubfighter makes it a well-armed and armored anvil to pin against a hammer. It's got a lot of cargo capacity, and if we're creative that can make us a pretty good smuggler where we run legit bulk cargo as camouflage. If we need a long-distance trip or linger in one place for a while, plenty of volume for consumables. We could even spring for concealed weapon mounts once we have cash, and either troll for pirates or become pirates. We can even run passengers, with capacity of 10, or fewer if we want to rebuild internals for some larger, luxury cabins and rent ourselves out as a elite transport.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2023-04-10, 03:36 PM
I'm also leaning toward the wayfarer. Most of the other ones seem to be either too small or look way too much like a YT-1300 for my liking.

Lord Raziere
2023-04-10, 05:18 PM
My suggestions for names shall be since the ship is already seemingly decided as a Wayfarer:
The Clunky Crab, The Brick, The Undependable, Longshot, The Problem, The Unsafe Investment, Interesting Times, Box With Wings, Handy or The Glove (the cockpit is called the Thumb), Graceful, Elegance, The Clumsy Cow, Someone's Storehouse, Blocky Betty, Uncertainty, Captain's Daughter, Drunken Spacer, Flying Bantha, The Rocky Start.

Mutazoia
2023-04-10, 07:52 PM
My suggestions for names shall be since the ship is already seemingly decided as a Wayfarer:
The Clunky Crab, The Brick, The Undependable, Longshot, The Problem, The Unsafe Investment, Interesting Times, Box With Wings, Handy or The Glove (the cockpit is called the Thumb), Graceful, Elegance, The Clumsy Cow, Someone's Storehouse, Blocky Betty, Uncertainty, Captain's Daughter, Drunken Spacer, Flying Bantha, The Rocky Start.

The Purrgil Princess.

And just as an example

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/swse/images/e/e0/Wayfarer-Class_Medium_Transport_2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180601012314

The Glyphstone
2023-04-10, 07:54 PM
I guess the question is if we want people to take us seriously or not. A name thats too goofy, and we'll be seen as a joke. A name that's too grandiose and pretentious, and we'll be seen as a joke.

I like Interesting Times, though.

tonberrian
2023-04-10, 09:11 PM
Dude. I'm playing a droid with a B-1 vocabulator who thinks the war isn't over between the Separatists and the Republic. I'm not sure taking us seriously was ever on the table.

Lord Raziere
2023-04-10, 09:18 PM
I guess the question is if we want people to take us seriously or not. A name thats too goofy, and we'll be seen as a joke. A name that's too grandiose and pretentious, and we'll be seen as a joke.

Well if people wants better names, they better come up with 'em. I don't imagine shady folk on the wrong side of the law care much for the specific name of a vessel.

but if you insist on something more serious, we have gotta ask what we're advertising ourselves as. we're smugglers right? don't think you want a name thats too threatenin', we're not out specifically kill anyone, not too heroic, we're not out for specifically do selfless hero stuff, so....something that y'know, doesn't give people the wrong idea.

@ tonberrian: then my names are perfect.

Mutazoia
2023-04-10, 11:33 PM

As long as we don't end up flying around in the [adjective Bird Species]. But honestly, if you look at the names of actual historical pirate ships, you wouldn't worry too much about flying a ship with a goofy name:

Bachelors Delight - Ship of William Dampier
Rose Pink - Edward low.
The Squirrel - Another Edward Low ship.
The Happy Adventure - Peter Easton
The Adventure Galley - William Kid
Satisfaction - Henry Morgan

Although I meant it as a joke, the Purrgil Princess isn't half bad. The Wayfarer is a whale of a ship, and flys through space...space whale...Purrgil.... tack on Princess partly for the alliteration and partly because most Star Wars ships have two word names lol.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2023-04-10, 11:36 PM
I do like all the names so far. If the name is too cool sounding its going to be hard to pretend to be a simple cargo carrier. I think we want to 'fly casual." as Han once said.

...Grandiose and Pretentious... - heck, could call the ship that.

Other possible names:

Nerf Herder
Medium cargo x354B (a nice generic name)
Broken Dreams
Rust Bucket
Void Runner
Boxy Lady

The Glyphstone
2023-04-11, 05:23 AM
Space Debris
Nothing Interesting
Easy Money
Nothing Personal

Mutazoia
2023-04-11, 09:00 AM
Sorry about the Mess
Bad Feeling
Bantha Tracks
Sir Liftsalot
Fetch and Carry

Rakaydos
2023-04-11, 09:00 AM
I'll throw in with Purrgil Princess.

The Glyphstone
2023-04-11, 10:54 AM
Sure, let's go with Purrgil Princess since it seems to be the only one with consensus.

I dont suppose we get a budget for upgrades/ship modifications, since we've been a group for a little while and our ship might not be factory-stock anymore? At the very least I'd like to have remounted our dorsal quad laser as a dorsal turret, we're not maneuverable enough to benefit from front arc fire. There are no actual rules or prices for this though.

tonberrian
2023-04-11, 03:56 PM
We can add a Rear turret later. I think we're about ready to start if we've got our ship chosen and named already. Is there any interesting missions or is this more of a sandbox campaign?

The Glyphstone
2023-04-12, 11:20 AM
Hard points are precious enough that replacing inefficient parts is always better than adding new ones.

I'm also curious how we will be starting out. If we're still running stock, we're more limited in the jobs we can do and we can't be picky about what is offered. So I hope the GM has some material already prepped to go.

ybn1197
2023-04-12, 11:23 AM
We will start with a mission here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?655701-Heavy-Lifting-(Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire)-IC&p=25756160) and we'll see where the stars take us.

The Glyphstone
2023-04-12, 11:35 AM
To the stars!

ybn1197
2023-04-12, 11:57 AM
We will start with a mission here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?655701-Heavy-Lifting-(Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire)-IC&p=25756160) and we'll see where the stars take us.

Sorry, in case your device does not register it, "here" in the above post is a link to the in-character thread.

The Glyphstone
2023-04-12, 05:45 PM
Well, let's hope Kara can keep us from getting too bad of a deal here.

Mutazoia
2023-04-17, 09:40 AM
I'm going to try to make sense of these dice now...on that topic, do we have a dice roll thread? or just roll them here? or in the IC thread?

ybn1197
2023-04-17, 10:20 AM
Please use Orokos.com (https://orokos.com) After your roll, please post results in the In-Character thread.

Here is an example of a character who has a 3 in the relevant characteristic and 1 rank in the skill. The difficulty is Hard. That gives the character 3 green (3eA), 1 upgrade to turn 1 green yellow (change 3eA to 2eA and add 1eP), and 3 purple (3eD).
XeY, where Y is the first letter of the die type: Ability, Boost, Challenge, Difficulty, Force, Proficiency, or Setback
XeA = number of Ability dice
XeP = number of Proficiency dice
XeD = number of Difficulty dice
[/url]: 2eA+1eP+3eD 2 successes, 2 threat
[url=https://orokos.com/roll/975264]https://orokos.com/roll/images/eote/a-s-a.pnghttps://orokos.com/roll/images/eote/a-a.pnghttps://orokos.com/roll/images/eote/p-s-s.pnghttps://orokos.com/roll/images/eote/d-th-th.pnghttps://orokos.com/roll/images/eote/d-th-th.pnghttps://orokos.com/roll/images/eote/d-f.png (https://orokos.com/roll/975264)

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2023-04-18, 01:45 PM
Well, I'm off to a stellar start.

The Glyphstone
2023-04-19, 10:46 AM
For the people who can't perceive the broad side of a hangar, what is the Bothan saying?

ybn1197
2023-04-19, 11:22 AM
"Through no desire or fault of our own, we find ourselves in the middle of an escalating territorial dispute with a fellow Hutt clan. Although initially really more of a misunderstanding, there has been a recent infringement wherein a shipment of weapons were stolen and her exaltedness wishes your assistance to even the score.
"We have learned where and when the weapons will be exchanged and we are willing to pay you 2000 credits and a share of the recovered goods if you can interrupt the transaction and steal back the weapons cache.
"Her exaltedness does have two stipulations. You will only receive payment if the theft happens within a short window of the transaction completing so as to fully interrupt the flow of business and send a message that Mallolo's organization isn't to be trifled with. We also insist you not use your own ship, but instead use ships provided by Mallolo. Moreover, one of them must be left behind as so as to insure the message is delivered".

Translation:
We're in a quarrel with another Hutt clan. They stole a shipment of weapons from us and are trying to sell them to another group. We want you to stop the sale and steal them back. You will be paid 2,000 credits plus a share of the recovered weapons. However, you must interrupt the sale so both groups will know not to mess with Mallolo. And you must use the ships provided to you by Mallolo; one of which needs to be left behind (preferably in a disabled state) as evidence that Mallolo will not be trifled with.

The Glyphstone
2023-04-19, 01:26 PM
Why does Malolo want one of her own ships to be busted up and left behind? Evidence of who did it?

ybn1197
2023-04-19, 01:29 PM
The bothan didn't say. If you want to know, you will have to ask.

Rakaydos
2023-04-19, 01:31 PM
Why does Malolo want one of her own ships to be busted up and left behind? Evidence of who did it?

More specifically, evidence of who our employers WANT our targets to think did it...

The Glyphstone
2023-04-19, 02:41 PM
More specifically, evidence of who our employers WANT our targets to think did it...

This is a feud between Hutts. If we are taking Malolo's credits to bust up the deal, it is Malolo who did it, we are just her servants and barely register as something above walking tools.

I guess I don't care why, I just wanted to be sure it was her ship she wanted abandoned as a wreck and not theirs.

Lord Raziere
2023-04-20, 02:39 AM
seem simple enough to me: take her ships, steal the weapons, send a message with one of the ships. the only thing I'd be curious about is why sacrifice something as valuable as a ship, and I could roll knowledge underworld or something to see if there is something to this, but I'm guessing the two ships are relatively cheap and expendable and the Hutt is rich and can afford it, and its not my place to ask questions like that, so best not to test the Hutt with the guns trained on us. I could probably like strip the one we plan to sacrifice for spare parts and like, do some hacker trick to like remote control and shut it down when we need to get off the sacrificed vessel, after all Mallolo won't care some parts are gone if that ships getting sacrificed and she wants it inoperable as a message anyways.

other than that, the real concern I'd have is like, making sure our own ship is locked up tight or something so no one can steal it while we're gone, we don't want whatever random jerks are at this port getting ideas and leaving us with what is probably a worse ship than we started. I doubt Mallolo's after our ship though since if she wanted it, she could just shoot us and take it right now.

Rakaydos
2023-04-20, 05:15 AM
What ships ARE we using? Are we using those ships to get the cargo (and the pilot of the extra ship) out?

The Glyphstone
2023-04-20, 03:55 PM
Doesn't negotiating with a Hutt usually require a thermal detonator?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2023-04-20, 04:53 PM
I think negotiating with Hutts is best done from the bridge of a star destroyer...

Rakaydos
2023-04-20, 06:21 PM
I think negotiating with Hutts is best done from the bridge of a star destroyer...

unfortunately, none of us are named Booster Terrek.

ybn1197
2023-04-24, 09:21 AM
What ships ARE we using? Are we using those ships to get the cargo (and the pilot of the extra ship) out?

The CURRENT stare of the PREVIOUS ship and pilot were not stated. Again, you can ask or you can assume the fate of them.

The Glyphstone
2023-05-02, 07:33 AM
Should we assume Average difficulty unless you say otherwise on tests?

ybn1197
2023-05-02, 07:35 AM
Should we assume Average difficulty unless you say otherwise on tests?

Correct. If I don't say the difficulty then it is Average automatically.

ybn1197
2023-05-09, 08:37 AM
Sorry all for the long pause. Have some family emergencies going on at the moment. My eldest was hospitalized this past weekend for an abscess that started leaking into his system and he was admitted for sepsis and emergency surgery. My mother-in-law is going in Thursday for an ablation to her heart to hopefully cure her Afib. Between work, watching the grandkids and helping my father-in-law around the house in case things go bad in the planned operation, I've had very little free time. I hope to get a new post up during my lunch today.

The Glyphstone
2023-05-11, 08:10 AM
RL happens at the least convenient of times.

ybn1197
2023-05-19, 09:23 AM
Again, sorry to everyone. I didn't have the opportunity to post during lunch as a work emergency caused me to work through my lunch. The end of the day was punctuated with a case of pancreatitis which landed me in the ER and a night in the hospital for observation. This was capped off with doctor mandated time off at home to recuperate. I went back to work earlier this week however I have been trying to catch up at work and rest/follow-up MD appointments. Hopefully I have not lost anyone to the lapse in gaming so I want to see a raise of hands if you will to see if everyone is still here. Please post below so I know who is still here and interested in the game.

The Glyphstone
2023-05-19, 09:39 AM
I'm still here and hopeful...

ybn1197
2023-05-19, 09:46 AM
Player
Response

tonberrian

Lord Raziere
05/21/2023 10:02 am

Ragnarok'n'Roll
05/19/2023 8:29 pm

Rakaydos
05/22/2023 6:04 pm

Mutazoia
05/21/2023 10:01 am

Glyphstone
05/19/2023 10:39 am

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2023-05-19, 07:29 PM
Present. RL comes first so if you need more time, I think we would understand.

Mutazoia
2023-05-21, 09:01 AM
Still here

Lord Raziere
2023-05-21, 09:02 AM
still here, just to say.

Rakaydos
2023-05-22, 05:04 PM
I've been checking the IC more than the OOC.

ybn1197
2023-05-23, 06:29 AM
I've been checking the IC more than the OOC.

Fair enough. And that is everyone except for tonberrian who may be checking the IC as well. I will do my best to get a post up around lunch time. Work seems to be slow enough at the moment.

tonberrian
2023-05-24, 01:26 AM
Sorry! My uncle is currently dying of cancer and has a lung infection. I'm still here, ish.

The Glyphstone
2023-06-18, 01:34 PM
Pokety poke?

ybn1197
2023-06-19, 09:23 AM
FYI, I am still here. Waiting for decisions to be made amongst yourselves.

There are some player response decisions I am waiting on before we move. I kinda thought everyone fell off the grid on this honestly.

Rakaydos
2023-07-01, 08:28 AM
I'm literally the last person who posted, with an open question that hasnt been answered.

The Glyphstone
2023-07-01, 08:53 PM
Was it directed at someone in particular? Mutazoia still hasn't posted either and I think we may have lost Tonberrian entirely.

tonberrian
2023-07-01, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I've been busy with my uncle passing. Dunno what to post.

ybn1197
2023-07-03, 11:05 AM
Sorry, I've been busy with my uncle passing. Dunno what to post.

Sorry for the loss of your uncle. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Here are the posts I was waiting for internal discussion on:

Kara

"Do we want to give them a quick once over ? Make sure they are space worthy?"

"I presume I've got a turret seat, but which one should I get set up in?"

Rakaydos
2023-07-08, 02:12 PM
yea, I'm going to give this another week, then I'm closing the tabs.

The Glyphstone
2023-07-08, 05:22 PM
Likewise. It doesn't seem like anyone is interested anymore.