PDA

View Full Version : This skeleton has been buried in the earth for 65 million years. Now it is my pet.

Kellus
2007-12-05, 12:36 AM
The Fossilmancer

By far the most dreaded of arcanists, fossilmancers deal with the most terrifying skeletons of all: dinosaur skeletons. Dredging the titanic bones of these monstrous beasts from the depths of death itself, fossilmancers wield far more impressive power than their peers. It’s not just power... It’s dino power!

Game Rule Information

Abilities: Wisdom is the primary ability score for a fossilmancer, as it governs their spellcasting and their dreaded excavations. Dexterity and Constitution also contribute to a fossilmancer’s survival in a battle.

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d4

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: The Fossilmancer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th| 9th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Excavation|3|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3||4|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3||5|3|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Evolution|5|4|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Improved excavation|5|5|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||5|5|3|1|—|—|—|—|—|—

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||5|5|4|2|—|—|—|—|—|—

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Evolution|5|5|5|3|1|—|—|—|—|—

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6||5|5|5|4|2|—|—|—|—|—

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Improved excavation|5|5|5|5|3|1|—|—|—|—

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7||5|5|5|5|4|2|—|—|—|—

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Evolution|5|5|5|5|5|3|1|—|—|—

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8||5|5|5|5|5|4|2|—|—|—

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9||5|5|5|5|5|5|3|1|—|—

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Improved excavation|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|2|—|—

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Evolution|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|3|1|—

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10||5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|2|—

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11||5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|3|1

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11||5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|2

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Improved excavation, evolution|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4

[/table]

Class Skills: The fossilmancer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

All of the following are class features of the fossilmancer.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The fossilmancer is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor. The fossilmancer is not proficient with shields of any kind. Any armor heavier than light and any kind of shield applies arcane spell failure chance to a fossilmancer’s spells

Spellcasting: The fossilmancer casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the conjuration school of the sorcerer/wizard spell list. To cast a spell, the fossilmancer must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell level. The difficulty class for a saving throw against a spell cast by a fossilmancer is equal to 10 + the spell level + the fossilmancer’s Wisdom modifier.

A fossilmancer’s selection of spells is very limited. She begins play knowing two 0-level spells and one 1st level spell. At every level, she may select one additional spell from the conjuration school that appears on the sorcerer/wizard spell list to learn. She may cast any spell she knows at any time, just like a sorcerer.

The fossilmancer may cast a certain number of spells per day, as shown on Table: The Fossilmancer.

Excavation (Su): A fossilmancer has an affinity for dinosaur bones and can dredge them out of the earth with her magic. She may sacrifice any spell slot she has in order to call a complete dinosaur skeleton out of the ground and animate it with her magic. In order to call a skeleton, she must be in the preferred environment of the dinosaur she is summoning. Excavation is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

The skeleton summoned may have HD up to the class level of the fossilmancer plus the level of the spell sacrificed. Thus, an 8th level fossilmancer may give up a 3rd level spell slot to summon an 11-HD skeleton.

A fossilmancer may only have one skeleton excavated at a time. It remains for a duration of 1 round per level of the spell slot sacrificed, plus 1 round per point of the fossilmancer’s Wisdom modifier. During this time, the fossilmancer may command the fossil as a standard action which provokes attacks of opportunity. After the duration has elapsed, the fossil breaks apart and sinks back into the earth, never to be seen again.

Evolution: At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, a fossilmancer may select an evolution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2935456) for which she qualifies.

Improved Excavation: At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter, a fossilmancer may improve her excavation ability. She may select one of the following augments.

• Advanced Excavation (Su): With this augment, a fossilmancer gains a +1 bonus on the number of HD of a fossil she may control. The fossilmancer may select this augment more than once. Its effects stack.

• Defensive Excavation (Su): With this augment, a fossilmancer does not provoke an attack of opportunity when excavating or commanding her fossils.

• Enduring Fossils (Su): With this augment, fossils can remain under a fossilmancer’s control for an improved duration of 1 minute per spell slot level instead of 1 round per spell slot level. She may dismiss her fossil at any time as a free action.

• Fossil Focus (Su): When taking this augment, a fossilmancer selects one type of dinosaur, such as deinonychus. She may always summon this fossil, even if it is not in an appropriate environment. In addition, when excavating this fossil, she may grant a +4 inherent bonus to all of the fossil’s physical ability scores. This augment may be taken more than once. Every time, it applies to a different type of fossil.

• Hurried Excavation (Su): With this augment, an excavation may be performed as a move action instead of a full-round action.

• Living Fossils (Su): With this augment, fossils excavated gain the living fossil template instead of the skeleton template (see Libris Mortis for more information about the Living Fossil template).

• Multiple Excavations (Su): With this augment, a fossilmancer may summon and control more than one fossil at a time, as long as their combined HD are less than or equal to her limit.

reorith
2007-12-05, 12:42 AM
arcane casting based on wisdom? that is pretty nifty.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-05, 12:45 AM
Very nice, Skeletons arn't overpowered, I have yet to see anything wrong with this class, I foresee will saves equal to the clerics...maybe better..

Jarchh
2007-12-05, 03:40 AM
This is a nice, really balanced looking unique class. It's a really random idea for a class though... what made you think of it?

Altharis
2007-12-05, 08:41 AM
....Gorram it Kellus! I turn my back for just one second and bam! More incentive to play a dinosaur campaign.

Well, you've done a dino-tank (Ankylonaut), a dino-skillmonkey (Scaleskulk), and now a dino-blaster (Fossilmancer). when are you going to do a dino-healstick? That would be fun to see...

Cheers,
Altharis

Umarth
2007-12-05, 11:34 AM
5 questions.

1) Why a Wisdom based arcane caster? Unless their is a compelling reason for them to be Wisdom based they should be Int based.

2) Skeleton is a template. What is the template being applied to? A Dinosaur? Could I raise a fossil troll? Right now it's unclear what the limits are.

3) You must be in the preferred environment of the dinosaur. Is this the current environment must be the preferred environment or the 65 million year ago environment must have been the preferred environment.

I'd probably just leave this bit out and call it magic.

4) As written I can control an unlimited number of Skeletons as long as they individually follow the HD rules. So if I'm 10th level I could summon 1 14 HD and 3 13 HD skeletons per day that would all be under my control. Is that what you intended?

5) Must the spell selected when gaining a level be a spell that the character can currently cast? At 2nd level could I pick up a 9th level spell for later?

smart thog
2007-12-06, 01:42 PM
Nice job fellow canadian. I see this as something Hank Yarbo would take up. Not that he would be able to do this. As per other questions, What do think, only dinosuars, or other prehistoric creatures. as per the number, they all together have to be under you spell slot plus level.

AstralFire
2007-12-06, 01:47 PM
:smallfrown: You're freakin' obsessed with dinosaurs.

:belkar: Keep up the good work! :biggrin:

Yeril
2007-12-06, 01:56 PM
Strange, I would of thought that you would of used the Fossilised Dinosaur Template instead of the Skeletal Template :smallbiggrin:

Tyrolin
2007-12-06, 08:07 PM
I have a teensie idea...

Instead of just having the skeleton just dissipate after it's alloted time, why couldn't the Fossilmancer take a standard action to sacrifice another spell slot (that provokes attacks of opportunity like excavating) and extend the duration by 1 round / level of spell slot sacrificed without changing the HD of the skeleton.

Of course, this means you could sacrifice a ninth level for the original excavation and just keep it alive with first levels, so it might be overpowering....

Well, it's up to you :smallwink:

smart thog
2007-12-13, 01:10 PM
I think the flavor for exacvation is off a bit. Either give them Necromancry (It involves bringing things back from the dead) or making the Dinos constructs. It still seems fun.

MagFlare
2007-12-13, 02:09 PM
They need Ride as a class skill. You see where I'm going with this.

smart thog
2007-12-20, 01:18 PM
That sounds fun. Ooh! What about being able to make dino armor and weapons?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-20, 02:35 PM
Strange, I would of thought that you would of used the Fossilised Dinosaur Template instead of the Skeletal Template :smallbiggrin:

You mean the Revived Fossil template from Liber Mortis?

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 02:43 PM
I have a teensie idea...

Instead of just having the skeleton just dissipate after it's alloted time, why couldn't the Fossilmancer take a standard action to sacrifice another spell slot (that provokes attacks of opportunity like excavating) and extend the duration by 1 round / level of spell slot sacrificed without changing the HD of the skeleton.

Of course, this means you could sacrifice a ninth level for the original excavation and just keep it alive with first levels, so it might be overpowering....

Well, it's up to you :smallwink:

Balance it with you have to sacrfice a spell of equal or higher level to extend.

Kellus
2007-12-20, 08:06 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies! Let me address them from most recent to earliest; let's see...

I'll look into means of extending it, as it's certainly a viable idea. Maybe an Improved Excavation ability?

Dino weapons and armour are planned, but they won't be up for a while. I'm working on a large dinosaur project very slowly, so I imagine I'll get around to weapons and armours and other sundries after I finish my last base class I have planned.

Ride is now a class skill. :smallsmile:

I agree that making them constructs would probably fit the theme better, but as far as I know there's no easy way to turn them into one without taking away all of their dinosaur-like abilities. Skeleton is a fairly simple template to apply, and it works. Otherwise, the class is more of a dedicated summoner than a necromancer. You want necromancy, find Heroes of Horror. :smalltongue:

They can indeed apply the Revived Fossil template, if they choose it as an Improved Excavation ability.

Yes. Yes, I am obsessed.

Wisdom for casting fits better with the idea that they get the magic from ancient beasts rather than, say, texts and manuals. In my opinion.

I believe it's fairly clear that excavation works only on dinosaurs; that is, monsters that are found under the heading of 'dinosaur' in the MM or other books. Is this vague?

The environment bit I agree doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about the time factor, but a lot of that depends on the campaign setting. As it is, it stops someone from summoning a plesiosaurus in a desert.

I don't understand the next comment:

As written I can control an unlimited number of Skeletons as long as they individually follow the HD rules. So if I'm 10th level I could summon 1 14 HD and 3 13 HD skeletons per day that would all be under my control. Is that what you intended?

From the OP:

A fossilmancer may only have one skeleton excavated at a time.

Since you asked, yes, a divine dinosaur-based character is planned.

Thanks for the comments, I hope this addresses most of your concerns! :smallbiggrin:

... Now to get back to magnetics. :smallamused: