PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Friendly Neighborhood Vampire Lord?

Kuro Dmon
2023-04-12, 12:32 AM
So, workshoping something with a partner for a pair of characters, where I run a game with a character alongside them, and then they reply in kind. They have a Knight of the Raven, and I randomly thought pairing them with an Undead would lead to amusing shenanigans. "What could go wrong?" We worked out our concepts, and the idea of building my character as a Vampire Lord (with a twist on the backstory requirements that aren't hard coded into the class/mechanics; they killed their parent and then ended up having to hunt down other Vampires and gaining more power in the process while refusing to give into their own urges), but I'm somewhat at a loss for how to go from here.

Their character is an Archivist/Knight of the Raven//Factotum, and I'd like to stay somewhat comparable in terms of power and abilities. I'd, of course, have to have at least 10 HD, and we agreed that I could just have 10 character levels on 1 side, and the level adjustment and then additional abilities on the other. 8LA is quite a bit, but even without trying to, all the bonus summoning and abilities and stats seems like it at least stays viable.

I was thinking, for the one side of my track, to go Ranger. Full Bab, D8 changed to D12, decent skills and such, and thematic for a Monster that hunts other Monsters. Might see what ACFs I can take to spice it up a bit, but seems like a flavorful start. But what to do for the other side, which I could plan up to 12 levels of (though the adventure we're about to be on will probably end us around level 15 or 16, so realistically 7-8 levels for), kinda escapes me. I can't decide, even with a Ranger, whether or not I want to focus on Wisdom or Charisma, or see if I could snag something that offered accelerated casting so I could keep up with the near full casting of the Knight of the Raven.

I'm mostly looking for ideas, and not necessarily high op ones, but just thoughts on what to do when given the chance to play a Dracul that's willing to work with the Nondead to chase away Evil Necromancers and other monsters.

Inevitability
2023-04-12, 06:54 AM
As a fangshields ranger (undead are nonhumanoid!), you can grab Multiattack as your level 2 ranger feat, which is nice if you get some more natural weapons from somewhere (sadly totemist is off the table). A one-level cleric dip can get you a bite attack thanks to the hunger domain, and soul eater can stack another negative level on top of your hits.

Anthrowhale
2023-04-12, 07:16 AM
Maybe Duskblade instead of Ranger? You keep full BAB and presumably can rely on skill access from the vampire side. You can potentially pick up a level or two of bard on the Vampire side, and then qualify for Sublime Chord if you have a sufficient Int.

Kuro Dmon
2023-04-15, 12:33 AM
As a fangshields ranger (undead are nonhumanoid!), you can grab Multiattack as your level 2 ranger feat, which is nice if you get some more natural weapons from somewhere (sadly totemist is off the table). A one-level cleric dip can get you a bite attack thanks to the hunger domain, and soul eater can stack another negative level on top of your hits.

Definitely gonna look into Fangshield Ranger, because that's at least a potential direction, let alone upgrade, for Ranger. I wonder if it's capable of being mixed with the Ranger progression that grants additional Spells... I wasn't sure about a fighting style, and while slam feels somewhat in-elegant for a Dracula/lina, at least that gives me ways to make features I was only partially interested in actually contribute to my character, if I decide to stay that way.

Not sure about dipping into classes that are on the more evil side of things, when this character is specifically *fighting* their own hunger and desire/need to consume... I'm lucky that with enough Charisma and Cha to saves, this character can all but ignore the need to feed...

Maybe Duskblade instead of Ranger? You keep full BAB and presumably can rely on skill access from the vampire side. You can potentially pick up a level or two of bard on the Vampire side, and then qualify for Sublime Chord if you have a sufficient Int.

Unfortunately, since I'm stuck with the LA, Duskblade's mainly bringing more combat power, and I'm wondering how much of that I need, at least if there isn't a way to get more utility based options and still get some fundamental stats and stuff... I'm not *not* interested in it, if only because the aesthetic is pretty rad... I should check and see how many Draculas (though really, I'm making more of an Alucard, I suppose) use a Sword.

Sublime Chord, on the other hand. In terms of keeping up with some of my friend's potential options, that interests me a bit more in being able to access more useful spells than what I might have access to. Especially if like Charisma, for fluff and as a Save bonus... though if I went with Duskblade as a base, even with a Human Vampire Lord Duskblade, 5 skill points a level might be kinda tight if I don't invest a bit into my Int...

Anthrowhale
2023-04-15, 06:51 AM
Unfortunately, since I'm stuck with the LA, Duskblade's mainly bringing more combat power, and I'm wondering how much of that I need, at least if there isn't a way to get more utility based options and still get some fundamental stats and stuff... I'm not *not* interested in it, if only because the aesthetic is pretty rad... I should check and see how many Draculas (though really, I'm making more of an Alucard, I suppose) use a Sword.

Sublime Chord, on the other hand. In terms of keeping up with some of my friend's potential options, that interests me a bit more in being able to access more useful spells than what I might have access to. Especially if like Charisma, for fluff and as a Save bonus... though if I went with Duskblade as a base, even with a Human Vampire Lord Duskblade, 5 skill points a level might be kinda tight if I don't invest a bit into my Int...

Perhaps Mystic Ranger 10//Vampire Lord 8/Bard 2? At level 9, you pick up the feat Alternate Source Spell which enables you to qualify for Sublime Chord. Mystic improves your spell access to be comparable to a Sorcerer for the first 10 levels while preserving full BAB and 6+Int skill points. To complement your companion, you may want to pick up the Trap Expert ACF. If you are concerned with spell access, you might consider the Channel Charge feat. Paired with partially charged wands/staffs it's a nice versatility boost.

Angelalex242
2023-04-19, 07:21 PM
Perhaps the vampire lord was cursed with a soul. See Angel/Angelus (Buffy)