PDA

View Full Version : How to minimize AC?

SangoProduction
2023-04-13, 01:23 AM
I recently made a first level character that kinda wants to die. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?655624-The-Death-Addict-(Spheres-build)) Which... is a cursed character concept. Not going to lie.

Regardless, he doesn't particularly care if enemies try and attack him, as he runs into melee to cast everything with no armor or shields. Or weapons. I don't expect him to survive the first session.

But just to make sure I soak up as many hits as I can, I want to drop my AC as low as possible. (But also to get something out of the penalty to AC.)

Dex 7: -2 to AC (but points to spend elsewhere)
Charge: -2 to AC (+2 to hit)
Berserk Sphere: -2 to AC (+Imp. Toughness worth of temp HP)
Alteration sphere - Size Change, Large Size: -1 to AC, -2 Dex (+2 str. and size increase) [Not an actual benefit for this guy. Probably won't take even given the opportunity, but just to acknowledge it as an option.]

So, right now, I have a reliable AC of 2.

I'll happily go negative, if you guys know where I can make even more trade offs.

Saintheart
2023-04-13, 01:43 AM
Reckless Charge: don't just take a -2 to AC, take a -4 instead when you Leeroy Jenkins the opposition.

And make sure you fall prone in front of the opposition when you get there, prone is an untyped -4 to AC on melee attacks.

Tie a blindfold around your eyes: blinded imposes an untyped -2 to AC. Or just shut your eyes. But hey, you're safe from gaze attacks!

Get a stunning surge weapon, hit yourself in the head and voluntarily fail the save. Stunned does untyped -2 to AC.

Gruftzwerg
2023-04-13, 01:58 AM
Dex 7: -2 to AC (but points to spend elsewhere)

Maybe pick a race with a DEX penalty for an even lower DEX score?

Inevitability
2023-04-13, 02:02 AM
Enlarge effects? Size reduces AC.

loky1109
2023-04-13, 02:04 AM
What levels we are talking about?

SangoProduction
2023-04-13, 02:09 AM
What levels we are talking about?

As close to level 1 as possible to maximize the chances of surviving long enough to make his life even harder.

Crake
2023-04-13, 02:31 AM
Uhh, you can just choose to get hit, can you not? Close your eyes, blinded gives you another -2 to AC, dont move, make your dex effectively 0, giving you -5 modifier, and rendering yourself helpless.

Like, is the character’s goal to die? They can just willingly let themselves be coup de graced if they want

loky1109
2023-04-13, 02:46 AM
As close to level 1 as possible to maximize the chances of surviving long enough to make his life even harder.

It sounds like mistake. To maximize chances of surviving you should build around maximum possible level.
Low AC for 1st level is death sentence. Low AC for 20th level could be part of concept, which doesn't affect survivability at all.

Chronos
2023-04-13, 07:01 AM
Shock Trooper feat, from Complete Warrior: When you charge and use Power Attack, you can take the penalty (up to your BAB) to AC instead of to your attack roll.

Telonius
2023-04-13, 07:46 AM
Cursed Items for a cursed concept:

Armor of Arrow Attraction (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#armorofArrowAttraction): +3 to melee, -15 to ranged
Bracers of Defenselessness (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#bracersofDefenselessness): -5 to AC
Ring of Clumsiness (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#ringofClumsiness): Acts like a Ring of Feather Falling, but gives -4 to Dexterity (meaning -2 to AC)

Aging penalties: Max -6 to Dex (-3 to AC)
Violating a Lesser Geas: Max -8 to Dex (-4 to AC), limited duration

loky1109
2023-04-13, 08:02 AM
Shock Trooper feat, from Complete Warrior: When you charge and use Power Attack, you can take the penalty (up to your BAB) to AC instead of to your attack roll.
2nd level of Ronin, one more time -BAB to AC.

SangoProduction
2023-04-13, 08:06 AM
It sounds like mistake. To maximize chances of surviving you should build around maximum possible level.
Low AC for 1st level is death sentence. Low AC for 20th level could be part of concept, which doesn't affect survivability at all.

Well, he starts at level 1.

Darg
2023-04-13, 10:46 AM
The aggressive trait trades a -1 AC for +2 initiative. The vulnerable flaw (-1 AC) would allow you to take another feat (toughness for a first level character is like +6 Con).

ShurikVch
2023-04-13, 01:26 PM
Reckless Offensive feat: -4 AC for +2 on melee attacks

Flaws:
Brash (Dragon #324) - -6 AC against AoO
Bravado (Dragon #328) - removes any amount of Dodge bonus to AC (and prevents application of such bonus later)
Hatred (Dragon #329) - -4 AC vs Favored Enemy
Obese (Dragon #328) - removes +1 AC from Small size (must be Small; must not be Lightweight)
Short Temper (Dragon #328) - on any damage, must make DC 15 Will save; -2 AC on a failed save

Substances:
Bloodroot ("Vampires of Waterdeep Part One: Blood of Malar", Dungeon #126) - -2 AC
Rhul ("Battlewine") (Lords of Darkness) - -2 AC

Items:
Crazed weapon (Arms and Equipment Guide) - -1 AC; +1
Horn of Triumph (Song and Silence) - -1 AC; 35,380 gp
Warmace (Complete Warrior) - -1 AC; 25 gp

Cursed Item Drawback (Arms and Equipment Guide): -4 AC when somebody confirming a Critical Hit on you

Zancloufer
2023-04-14, 07:50 PM
One of the Dragon Mags have Half-Ogre and Half-Minotaur as LA+1 races with large size. Not sure if you want LA but it does grant -1 AC without using a feat or reducing your Dex to dangerously low levels.

darkdragoon
2023-04-15, 04:51 PM
Punishing Stance for less AC and more damage?