PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Kobolds and How Much Dragon Blood is Too Much Dragon Blood

tuberov
2023-04-15, 09:12 AM
Starting a new campaign and I have a character who wants to play a kobold with the Dragonwrought feat (removes dragonblood subtype, makes them a full dragon type, plus other goodies). He, and another player, are arguing that he should still be eligible to take the Dragonblood Sorcerer racial substitution classes because "I still have dragon blood in me, it's just more than some now. All my blood is dragon's blood".

I'm having a hard time coming up with a reasoning to deny that he's right and to allow it except for "it's not RAW". Was this ever subject to an errata? It seems like just taking Draconic Heritage would be better but i think he really wants the dragon subtype on his kobold (he like playing little sh*tters) or even taking the first level of Dragonblood Sorcerer would give him the feat anyway.

Gruftzwerg
2023-04-15, 09:28 AM
DRAGONBLOOD SUBTYPE
If a race possesses the dragonblood subtype, it has a strong affinity to dragons—which means that spells, effects, powers, and abilities that affect or target dragons also affect it. The sub-type qualifies a creature to use magic items normally only usable by dragons, and qualifies the creature to take feats that have the subtype as a prerequisite. The dragonblood subtype also makes creatures subject to harmful effects that affect dragons.
The dragonblood subtype does not confer the dragon type or any traits associated with that type. For instance, it does not give a creature frightful presence.
Dragons automatically qualify for any classes, prestige classes, racial substitution levels, feats, powers, or spells that require the dragonblood subtype. Races presented in this book that have the dragonblood subtype include dragonborn, spellscale, kobold, and draconic creatures. Should a creature acquire the dragon type, it loses the dragonblood subtype.

Dragons automatically qualify for anything that requires the "dragonblood subtype". By RAW they even bypass any other requirement since they simply "automatically qualify". Thus, real dragons have an advantage over "dragonblooded" when it comes to things that require "dragonblood" and not the dragon type.

tuberov
2023-04-15, 11:34 AM
Much appreciated. Thanks for the assistance!

redking
2023-04-15, 03:26 PM
You should watch out for the player trying to get an early epic feat on the basis that his character is of the "old" age category, and therefore qualifies for epic feats as a "true dragon".

Doctor Despair
2023-04-15, 05:42 PM
You should watch out for the player trying to get an early epic feat on the basis that his character is of the "old" age category, and therefore qualifies for epic feats as a "true dragon".

The passage on epic feats actually doesn't even require true dragonhood as I recall. True dragonhood is for sovereign archetypes.

vasilidor
2023-04-16, 04:21 AM
Epic feats should be only available on character level 21+.
That said, some epic feats should have been regular feats; but that is a topic for another thread.

Chronos
2023-04-16, 07:30 AM
There are very few epic feats for which removing only the 21 HD requirement really matters. Most of them also require 20+ ranks in some skill, or extremely high ability scores, or the like, such that without the HD requirement, you might be able to take them in your late teens, but not much earlier.

Darg
2023-04-16, 11:39 AM
There are very few epic feats for which removing only the 21 HD requirement really matters. Most of them also require 20+ ranks in some skill, or extremely high ability scores, or the like, such that without the HD requirement, you might be able to take them in your late teens, but not much earlier.

Reality doesn't matter, it's the principle of the thing.

Inevitability
2023-04-16, 12:10 PM
We did it, GitP! We restarted the dragonwrought kobold debate in an unrelated and already-resolved thread!

Darg
2023-04-16, 01:20 PM
We did it, GitP! We restarted the dragonwrought kobold debate in an unrelated and already-resolved thread!

Did it ever really stop though?

Thunder999
2023-04-16, 06:28 PM
Honestly most Epic Feats aren't even that amazing to begin with.

lylsyly
2023-04-17, 08:12 AM

​At least we got it over with for 2023 ;-D))))))

H_H_F_F
2023-04-17, 08:43 AM
I'm not going to take any side in the RAW debate over kobolds, but OP: talk to your player, ask what they're hoping to accomplish with the dragon type, and make sure you're in agreement that that's fine and legal in your game.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-04-17, 08:49 AM

It's even better when the previous poster explicitly says that "reality doesn't matter".

We should really hold a vote. Or ask Jeremy Crawford then take the opposite stance. Both ways should lend a reasonable result.