PDA

View Full Version : Advices for an E6 campaign

Chelios
2023-04-16, 03:16 AM
I wanted to start a dnd 3.5 campaign with E6 rules, so I'm here to ask for some suggestions. I read somewhere that the artificer might be too strong, is that true or not? As a DM I hate banning and always prefer players to do what they want since I've noticed that the more freedom I give players the less cheesy stuff they do. Another question: do you have any specific feats to recommend to improve the E6 experience? Another thing, I was thinking of giving players a feat with 5k experience or giving them 1 gestalt level with 7k -> example: a 6th mage spends 7k to take a level from Rogue, then increases his 1st level HD from 1d4 to 1d6 (ie increases HP by 2) + increases his 1st level skillpoints + improves saves (if any to improve) + takes rogue special abilities. How about?

Inevitability
2023-04-16, 03:31 AM
Artificer in E6 is a theoretical path to higher-level magic:

An artificer can create a magic item even if he does not have access to the spells that are prerequisites for the item. The artificer must make a successful Use Magic Device check (DC 20 + caster level) to emulate each spell normally required to create the item. Thus, to make a lst-level wand of magic missile, an artificer would need a Use Magic Device check result of 21 or higher. To create a bottle of air (caster level 7th), he would need a check result of 27 or higher to emulate the water breathing prerequisite.

For purposes of meeting item prerequisites, an artificer's effective caster level equals his artificer level +2.

This gives you 4th-level wizard/cleric spells, and might also give you stuff like 4th-level ranger and paladin spells, or 3rd-level trapsmith spells, or even 8th-level ur-priest (cleric) spells (which, it seems, can be unambiguously cast at CL 8 under normal conditions).

Outside of E6, artificers are notorious for facilitating access to basically any spell in the game, which can be a problem to plan campaigns around, as well grabbing underleveled spells from obscure lists like Trapsmith's first-level Haste.

Artificers can be fine PCs, just as wizards and clerics can be fine PCs despite having access to a ton of powergaming tricks. Item crafting is not overpowered per se, but items are strong and getting to near-guarantee access to certain ones can really help get a number of problematic character concepts off of the ground. I'd definitely talk to your player about how they intend to use the class and what sort of items they wish to make, and then decide whether it's appropriate for your campaign.