PDA

View Full Version : Cleric's methods to improve melee prowess

Kaleph
2023-04-16, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone, I wanted to try to list the best methods to improve the melee effectiveness available to a cleric. Let's assume for this first inquiry that the only parameter I'm interest into is the likelyhood to hit an opponent in melee.

These are the first strategies I can think of:

Divine power
Other spells that are not divine power -

Divine favor (PHB, up to +3 attack/damage (luck))
Recitation (SpC, +3 to attack (luck))
Greater Visage of the Deity (SpC, +4 Str (unnamed))
Brilliant Blade/Aura (SpC, doesn't actually increase attack bonus but does allow you to ignore armor, natural armor, and shield bonuses to AC)
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SpC, +3 to attack and damage (morale))
(Greater) Holy/Infernal Transformation (SpC, +4 Str (sacred or profane))
Righteous Might (PHB, +4 Str (size))
Death Knell (PHB, +2 Str (unnamed))
(Greater) Consumptive Field (SpC, potentially unlimited bonus to Str (unnamed))
Elation (BoED, makes the whole party, including the cleric, better at combat via Str+2/Dex+2 (morale))
Surge of Fortune (CC, +2 to basically all rolls, grants an autohit once)
Prayer (PHB, +1 to-hit, luck bonus)
Bless (PHB, +1 to-hit, morale bonus)

Feats -

Destruction devotion
Intuitive attack
Knowledge devotion
Law devotion

Prestige classes -

Abjurant champion (divine adaptation)
Fist of Raziel
Knight of the raven
Ordained champion
Ruby knight vindicator
Sacred fist

Non-native spells

Wraithstrike (magic domain to use a wand)
Polymorph (spell domain to get anyspell, alternatively the alteration (dragonlance) and the transformation (eberron) domains have it directly on the domain lists)

I know that the number of tools is nearly infinite, but I'd like to organize the answers in a practical list and not start a real handbook; accordingly, no complex strategies involving the usage of multiple feats and spells will fit here (so no DMM:persist, but divine power belongs here). Also, I'd like to exclude trivial answers, like access to domains or spells that merely replicate the effect of simple feats or magic items (like war domain, greater magic weapon, bull's strength).

Any idea to make this list grow?

Gruftzwerg
2023-04-16, 07:29 AM
Venomfire if you have a source of natural poison.

Sacred Fist prc improves monk abilities and divine spells.

Kaleph
2023-04-16, 09:12 AM
Venomfire if you have a source of natural poison.

That's unfortunately not very useful in this context, because A) it doesn't improve the to-hit bonus, and B) requires poison, which is a bit too specific and complex.

Sacred Fist prc improves monk abilities and divine spells.

This one offers full BAB besides a dual progression, is not optimized but still one could build a decent melee PC around it, so it belongs here. Added!

Biggus
2023-04-16, 09:33 AM
The following spells can improve attack bonus:

Recitation (SpC, +3 to attack (luck))

Greater Visage of the Deity (SpC, +4 Str (unnamed))

Brilliant Blade/Aura (SpC, doesn't actually increase attack bonus but does allow you to ignore armor, natural armor, and shield bonuses to AC)

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SpC, +3 to attack and damage (morale))

(Greater) Holy/Infernal Transformation (SpC, +4 Str (sacred or profane))

Righteous Might (+4 Str (size))

Death Knell (+2 Str (unnamed))

(Greater) Consumptive Field (SpC, potentially unlimited bonus to Str (unnamed))*

*broken AF, may get books thrown at you if you try to use it, especially persisted

Anthrowhale
2023-04-16, 10:00 AM
Elation makes the whole party (including the cleric) better at combat via Str+2/Dex+2 (morale) and Surge of Fortune allows you to autohit.

Telonius
2023-04-16, 11:07 AM
Maybe a little obvious, but the Prayer spell. Luck bonus, which isn't too common - so likely to stack with whatever else you have up. Rounds/lvl.

More of a defensive spell, but Greater Luminous Armor (Book of Exalted Deeds) gives you bonuses to AC, and penalizes your opponents' attacks. It's hours/lvl, so often recommended for Clerics wading into melee. Deals minor Strength damage as the Sacrifice component, but as a Cleric you can mitigate that.

pabelfly
2023-04-16, 12:46 PM
The Ordained Champion PrC has some neat abilities if you don't mind giving up a caster level or two.

RNightstalker
2023-04-16, 12:58 PM
Knowledge Devotion feat.

Darg
2023-04-16, 01:29 PM
Depending on the setting or how lenient your DM is, the alteration (dragonlance) and the transformation (eberron) domains have polymorph on the domain lists while the spell domain has greater anyspell to snag it.

Biggus
2023-04-16, 03:41 PM
Some other Wizard spells they can get from wands with magic domain:

Haste +1 (unnamed, but doesn't stack with Righteous Wrath of the Faithful)

Heroism +2 (morale)

Heroics +1 (SpC, if used to get Weapon Focus)

Edit: just realised I made a mistake in my previous post, Brilliant Blade/Aura don't allow you to ignore natural armor, only armor and shield bonuses

Chronos
2023-04-17, 03:59 PM
Spells:
Magic Vestment
[Greater] Magic Weapon
Shield of Faith
Bear's Endurance
Bull's Strength
Protection from Evil (/chaos/good/law)
Aid
Undead-Bane Weapon (SpC)

Also note that the Visage of the Deity line improves all of your ability scores, not just Str.

Domain granted powers:
Destruction domain: Smite 1/day
Luck domain: Reroll 1/day
Strength domain: +level to Str 1/day
War domain: Proficiency and weapon focus in one martial weapon

Maat Mons
2023-04-17, 04:58 PM
If you’re okay with Paizo-published content, they put out a 3.5 supplement called Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting with an ACF for Cleric called Holy Warrior (on page 43) that gives the class full base attack bonus (and d10 hit dice, and proficiency with your deity’s favored weapon). You have to give up both domains, including the granted powers, which combined with the existence of DMM:Persist means the ACF isn’t very highly regarded. Also, unlike Paizo’s other 3.5 publications, it doesn’t bear the “Official Licensed Content” seal, which may hinder your chances of getting it allowed in a game.

Dragon 333 has the Rage Cleric variant (on page 86), which eventually gives you a +8 to Strength, resulting in a +4 to hit. Dungeon 126 has an item called Torque of Lucid Raging (on page 95), which allows, among other things, casting spells while in a Rage, if you’re worried about anti-synergy.

Biggus
2023-04-18, 06:07 AM
Also note that the Visage of the Deity line improves all of your ability scores, not just Str.

Only Greater Visage does that, the others either improve just Cha or nothing. I only mentioned Str because the OP said they were specifically interested in boosting melee attack.

Gorthawar
2023-04-18, 10:22 AM
Hospitaler is full Bab and "only" loses 3 caster levels which means lvl 9 spells are still possible. Probably one of the worst PRC options but there it is.

Anthrowhale
2023-04-18, 11:34 AM
For full-BAB/full-spellcasting prestige classes, I believe the choices are Sacred Fist (heavy feat tax, fist fighting), Hexer (not-a-phb-race and other oddball requirements) and Windwalker (heavy feat tax) are what's available.

Chronos
2023-04-18, 03:51 PM
Technically also Fochlucan Lyrist, but lots of luck meeting all the prereqs for that without losing both casting and BAB, especially if you're trying to enter it as a cleric.

Kaleph
2023-04-18, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure if I should complement the list with ALL options, also the suboptimal or niche ones, or add only the life changers and/or the easiest picks...

pabelfly
2023-04-18, 07:10 PM
If you can add Haste to your spell list, Swiftblade is a pretty good option. 6/10 casting but full BAB and lots of ways to improve your attacks.

This is the thread if you want to get Haste onto a Cleric: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646021-Ways-to-Expand-a-Spell-List