PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] When does a spell with a casting time of 1 standard action come into effect?

Returnip
2023-04-17, 11:55 AM
Hello everyone. I was just brushing up on the rules before a game that I'll be DMing next week and in all my years of DMing 3.x I can't for the life of me understand how I have missed this funny little ambiguity. I have searched far and wide and not found any discussions covering this, neither here nor elsewhere (like rpg stackexchange etc). The RAW and RAI answer might seem obvious, but let me state my case why it isn't, and we can discuss.

As per PHB 3.5, p 140, "Cast a Spell". "Casting Time: Most spells have a casting time of 1 standard action. A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect."

Simple enough, right? But what does immediately mean? It's not a key word. The simple explanation would be immediately after the standard action, but let me explain why you should start doubting.

Take for example fireball, for which the spell description states "A glowing, pea-sized bead streaks from the pointing digit and, unless it impacts upon a material body or solid barrier prior to attaining the prescribed range, blossoms into the fireball at that point [which you have previously designated]." This implies that the glowing bead in question travels from your fingertip to the destination. If immediately means right after the standard action you use to cast the spell is over that means the glowing bead travels instantly to the destination. Laws of physics in a world of magic aside, why is this an issue? Glad you asked.

Example number two, PHB 3.5, p 144, "Take 5-Foot Step". Here they give the following example: "...you could cast fireball (a standard action), take a 5-foot step through an open door, then close the door (a move action)."

Why would you want to do this? The plot thickens.

While I agree neither of the above two examples are very good arguments against RAW I still think they're interesting to keep in the back of your head, because of the next one.

Example number three, PHB 3.5, p 143, "Cast a Spell". "A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed."

Why does a spell that takes 1 round to cast come into effect at the start of your next turn, and not at the end of the turn when you cast it? Well, it's because the system is meant to simulate things happening at roughly the same time, rather than in turns. The casting time of 1 round means "everyone's turn in the round including all initiative counts". This is implied by several other mechanics such as the fact that there's nothing saying you can't move while casting spells. You just happen to have the two separated into two actions. The rules cover casting spells while on a rolling cart and a windtossed ship, and even if you cast a spell that takes several rounds to cast you're still allowed a 5-foot step each round meaning you can move while casting (since the casting doesn't pause between the rounds) albeit slowly since you're focused on casting your spell.

I posit the following: "Immediately" in this case means a spell that takes 1 standard action to cast comes into effect immediately at the end of your turn, which means you could potentially cast the spell at a target and then move behind full cover that is blocking line of sight to the target (for the sake of the discussion, ignore fireball since it's a spread spell and doesn't give two *bleeps* and a martini about your cover).

So give me your best arguments either for why a 1 standard action casting time spell should go off right after the standard action, or why it should go off at the end of your turn.

(Disclaimer: I am of the opinion that "immediately" means right after the standard action and before anything else, but I still think the wording is vague enough to warrant discussion.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-17, 12:13 PM
So give me your best arguments either for why a 1 standard action casting time spell should go off right after the standard actionBecause the rules say it does.

Returnip
2023-04-17, 12:17 PM
Because the rules say it does.

The rules don't say that though. But I'll humour you. Why do you consider "immediately" to mean right after the standard action as opposed to say right after your turn for example?

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-17, 12:27 PM
The rules don't say that though. But I'll humour you. Why do you consider "immediately" to mean right after the standard action as opposed to say right after your turn for example?You quoted it yourself:

"Casting Time: Most spells have a casting time of 1 standard action. A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect."

So parsing that, you cast the spell and it immediately takes effect. That means specifically that it takes effect right after being cast, which (in this case) is right after the standard action. Otherwise, it wouldn't say "immediately," it would say "at the end of your turn."

Returnip
2023-04-17, 12:44 PM
You quoted it yourself:

"Casting Time: Most spells have a casting time of 1 standard action. A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect."

So parsing that, you cast the spell and it immediately takes effect. That means specifically that it takes effect right after being cast, which (in this case) is right after the standard action. Otherwise, it wouldn't say "immediately," it would say "at the end of your turn."

It doesn't say "immediately after the standard action" either though. Do you have any examples of how it consistently means that in the rules?

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-17, 12:54 PM
It doesn't say "immediately after the standard action" either though. Do you have any examples of how it consistently means that in the rules?From Merriam-Webster:

Immediately (Adv): Without interval of time : STRAIGHTWAY

That means there is no time after the standard action used to cast a spell before it comes into effect. That means that you cannot use the word "immediately" and not have it, y'know, immediately happen after the casting time finishes.

Returnip
2023-04-17, 12:58 PM
From Merriam-Webster:

Immediately (Adv): Without interval of time : STRAIGHTWAY

That means there is no time after the standard action used to cast a spell before it comes into effect. That means that you cannot use the word "immediately" and not have it, y'know, immediately happen after the casting time finishes.

Right, but it's not specified after what the spell comes into effect immediately. The way it's worded it could just as well mean immediately after you start casting it. It's also not specified how long a standard action takes since it's something that can be done within six seconds of a round and is really just a way to distinguish one type of action from another, but the system is built so that you can do these actions simultaneously. If you draw a weapon with one move action and walk your move with another move action you're not in reality standing still while you draw the weapon.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-17, 01:01 PM
Right, but it's not specified after what the spell comes into effect immediately. The way it's worded it could just as well mean immediately after you start casting it.Except it says, "A spell cast in this way," indicating that it has to be cast before immediately taking effect. It's already been cast, according to the bit in quotes.

Returnip
2023-04-17, 01:04 PM
Except it says, "A spell cast in this way," indicating that it has to be cast before immediately taking effect. It's already been cast, according to the bit in quotes.

Fair enough. Sorry for the edit above. I hit the post button too fast.

The point of the system though is to make you fluidly do several actions within the round. The separation of actions is just game mechanics.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-17, 01:09 PM
Can you move and cast a spell simultaneously without being mounted? I don't recall it being said anywhere that you can. Being mounted requires you to use your mount's actions to move, and it also requires a Concentration check. I think this is a part of the rules that gets kind of fuzzy, and for the DM to make the decisions on how the action economy works around it.

However, unless you have a feat or other ability, I don't think you can move and cast at the same time, non-mounted. You'd have to refer to the exact ability in question to determine those things (or the DM has to figure out how it works).

Returnip
2023-04-17, 01:11 PM
Can you move and cast a spell simultaneously without being mounted? I don't recall it being said anywhere that you can. Being mounted requires you to use your mount's actions to move, and it also requires a Concentration check. I think this is a part of the rules that gets kind of fuzzy, and for the DM to make the decisions on how the action economy works around it.

However, unless you have a feat or other ability, I don't think you can move and cast at the same time, non-mounted. You'd have to refer to the exact ability in question to determine those things (or the DM has to figure out how it works).

Well you can cast a spell that takes several rounds to cast and still take a 5-foot step each round while you cast it, right? (However funny that may seem. I imagine a wizard pacing back and forth while casting "Come on, come on, come on".)

Khedrac
2023-04-17, 02:12 PM
Well you can cast a spell that takes several rounds to cast and still take a 5-foot step each round while you cast it, right? (However funny that may seem. I imagine a wizard pacing back and forth while casting "Come on, come on, come on".)

err, no - you cannot move while casting a spell.

Chronos
2023-04-17, 03:42 PM
The word "immediately" isn't defined by the rules, but then, most words in the rules aren't defined in the rules. You have to understand the English language to make any sense of the rules. And in the English language, the word "immediately" means "right away, with no delay".

Jay R
2023-04-17, 04:42 PM
First, recognize that any simulation is simpler than what you are simulating. And if you examine it too carefully, you can always find inaccuracies.

The rules are written to try to reduce a continuous, infinitely complex process (combat) to be modeled by a series of discrete actions sufficiently smoothly to maintain interest and suspense. It's supposed to be less complicated than reality, or we would examine complicated details of internal anatomy after every hit.

The purpose of a standard action is to allow us to take turns smoothly. "A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect." In the context of series of individual turns, "immediately" means "before the next action starts". Finish the standard action, compete with its results, then move on to the next action. There are several examples of play in the various books, and they all work this way.

So give me your best arguments either for why a 1 standard action casting time spell should go off right after the standard action, or why it should go off at the end of your turn.

A ten minute casting time spell goes off right after the ten minutes.
A full round casting time spell goes off right after a full round.
A swift action casting time spell goes off right after the swift action.
An immediate action casting time spell goes off right after the immediate action.

I conclude that a standard action casting time spell goes off right after the standard action. I don't see how any other interpretation can make sense. "A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect."

Gruftzwerg
2023-04-17, 04:44 PM
To add on this:

Because "Actions" in 3.5 is your "time resource". It determines how long and how much effort something takes.

Swift Action, Movement Action, Standard Action and Full Round Action all happen in "your current turn".

Sole actions that at least take "1 round" take longer than your current turn.

El Dorado
2023-04-17, 05:36 PM
Is the concern that your PCs can act and then move away with impunity (before their targets can react)? Because they can already do this, regardless of whether the spell takes effect immediately after the spell is cast or immediately after the turn ends.

The targets would need some type of readied action to interrupt the caster (ranged attack, counterspell), some appropriate immediate action, or be in melee range to use an attack of opportunity.

Rynjin
2023-04-17, 06:33 PM
"Immediately" is a non-ambiguous term, stop trying to make it one.

Darg
2023-04-17, 06:45 PM
The action used to cast a spell is actually the time it takes to cast a spell. It takes a standard action's worth of time to do all the casting stuff you need to do to cast the spell. Think of it as a timer. Your spell isn't cast until the timer reaches 0 which is why it's possible to interrupt a spell cast. At 0 the spell is cast because you've already thrown the pies, did the hokey pokey, and amazed everyone with your throat singing to activate the effect.

Saintheart
2023-04-17, 06:57 PM
Can you move and cast a spell simultaneously without being mounted?

Yes, the Mobile Spellcasting feat. Although that's more combining a move with a standard action.

Jay R
2023-04-17, 08:55 PM
As per PHB 3.5, p 140, "Cast a Spell". "Casting Time: Most spells have a casting time of 1 standard action. A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect."

Simple enough, right? But what does immediately mean? It's not a key word. The simple explanation would be immediately after the standard action, but let me explain why you should start doubting.

No, the rules do not define "immediately". They also don't define "in", "this", "manner", "takes", or "effect". These are English words with clear unambiguous words in this context.

"Immediately" means "at once; instantly" or "without any intervening time or space". It does not mean "after something else happens". "Immediately" never means "after something else happens".

Nothing in the rules or the examples provided justifies using "immediately" to mean "after something else". There is no ambiguity here to exploit.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2023-04-17, 09:37 PM
If immediately means right after the standard action you use to cast the spell is over that means the glowing bead travels instantly to the destination.

Immediately means the bead forms immediately, not that it is at its destination immediately. Presumably it moves at some extremely high speed, similar to an arrow.

Example number two, PHB 3.5, p 144, "Take 5-Foot Step". Here they give the following example: "...you could cast fireball (a standard action), take a 5-foot step through an open door, then close the door (a move action)."

Why would you want to do this?

Presumably so whatever you just fireballed needs to open the door to punch you.

Crake
2023-04-17, 10:14 PM
You would do yourself a favour to realise that while the mechanics are turn and action based, those are just representative of a constant, flowing world. Its not a slideshow, its a movie.

The fireball has a travel time, the casting has a casting time, people take time to get from A to B, and things can happen all inbetween the start and finish of each of them.

RedWarlock
2023-04-17, 10:26 PM
Are you trying to argue that the time between the fireball-pea leaving your finger, and the fireball impacting its target and going off, that you could free-step-and-move-close-door in full?

I think by default it would be a no, that is included in the time of the standard action. Doing anything else in that time is very much not covered by the system, by default. DM call to allow otherwise.

The rest of the argument you make feels like a backwards-decoding of trying to make that work.

Returnip
2023-04-18, 05:52 AM
err, no - you cannot move while casting a spell.

I just stated above how you can indeed move while casting a spell.

First, recognize that any simulation is simpler than what you are simulating. And if you examine it too carefully, you can always find inaccuracies.

The rules are written to try to reduce a continuous, infinitely complex process (combat) to be modeled by a series of discrete actions sufficiently smoothly to maintain interest and suspense. It's supposed to be less complicated than reality, or we would examine complicated details of internal anatomy after every hit.

The purpose of a standard action is to allow us to take turns smoothly. "A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect." In the context of series of individual turns, "immediately" means "before the next action starts". Finish the standard action, compete with its results, then move on to the next action. There are several examples of play in the various books, and they all work this way.

A ten minute casting time spell goes off right after the ten minutes.
A full round casting time spell goes off right after a full round.
A swift action casting time spell goes off right after the swift action.
An immediate action casting time spell goes off right after the immediate action.

I conclude that a standard action casting time spell goes off right after the standard action. I don't see how any other interpretation can make sense. "A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect."

There are no "full round casting times". I'm assuming you mean "1 round" casting time?

Plenty of good answers, some borderline aggressive but I can live with that. :D I'm glad we had this discussion. Now it exists on the internet in case someone else would have the same question.

And if all I wanted was to get behind cover when a spell goes off I would just go behind cover and then lean out enough to be able to target with the spell. This was more a matter of using the excellent understanding of the rules of the people in this forum and your ability to argue them in a factual way, to create a precedent.

Thanks everyone for your invaluable input, and sorry I had to act a bit stupid to get the discussion going.

loky1109
2023-04-18, 06:30 AM
No, the rules do not define "immediately". They also don't define "in", "this", "manner", "takes", or "effect". These are English words with clear unambiguous words in this context.

"Immediately" means "at once; instantly" or "without any intervening time or space". It does not mean "after something else happens". "Immediately" never means "after something else happens".

Nothing in the rules or the examples provided justifies using "immediately" to mean "after something else". There is no ambiguity here to exploit.
Or, if someone doesn't sure about "immediately" with the same success it could mean "after millennium" or "after heat-death of the universe".

The fireball has a travel time, the casting has a casting time, people take time to get from A to B, and things can happen all inbetween the start and finish of each of them.
Actually, no. For all examples.

Jay R
2023-04-18, 01:12 PM
Immediately means the bead forms immediately, not that it is at its destination immediately. Presumably it moves at some extremely high speed, similar to an arrow.

Yup. And you calculate an arrow's damage immediately after rolling to hit, before any other action takes place — just like a standard action spell.

Thanks everyone for your invaluable input, and sorry I had to act a bit stupid to get the discussion going.

No problem. We're ready to discuss rules minutia at any time. I hope it helped.

Darg
2023-04-18, 04:47 PM
There are no "full round casting times". I'm assuming you mean "1 round" casting time?

Spontaneous casters who use a metamagic feat have a cast time of 1 full-round action.

ShurikVch
2023-04-19, 03:52 PM
There are no "full round casting times".
Actually, there are plenty of those which list their casting time as "1 full round" - just not in the Core:

Allied Footsteps (Complete Mage)
Benediction (Complete Champion)
Call of the Twilight Defender (Dragon Magic)
Channel the Dragon (Dragon Magic)
Climbing Tree (Complete Mage)
Create Trap (Races of the Dragon)
Dance of Ruin (Book of Vile Darkness)
Dark Tide (Stormwrack)
Divine Storm (Defenders of the Faith)
Doom of the Seas (Stormwrack)
Ectoplasmic Enhancement (Book of Vile Darkness)
Elemental Eye (Complete Mage)
Endless Slumber (Complete Mage)
Enduring Flight (Races of the Wild)
Engulfing Terror (Drow of the Underdark)
Ensul's Soultheft (City of Splendors)
Fiendish Quickening (Book of Vile Darkness)
Follow the Leader (Song and Silence)
Icy Claw (Dragons of Faerūn)
Indifference (Tome and Blood)
Manifest Dragon Heritage (Races of the Dragon)
Mark of Sin (Complete Champion)
Mirror Walking (Manual of the Planes)
Necrotic Curse (Complete Mage)
Otiluke's Supressing Field (Complete Mage)
Persuade to Manifest (Ghostwalk)
Profane Item (Complete Champion)
Proper State (Ghostwalk)
Rary's Arcane Conversion (Complete Mage)
Rebirth of Iron (Complete Mage)
Sacred Item (Complete Champion)
Seed of Undeath (Complete Mage)
Shadow Canopy (Races of Faerūn)
Skull of Secrets (Player's Guide to Faerūn)
Soldiers of Sanctity (The Forge of War)
Spellmantle (Player's Guide to Faerūn)
Spores of the Vrock (Book of Vile Darkness)
Stormrunner's Ward (Stormwrack)
Stormwalk (Stormwrack)
Summon Giants (Frostburn)
Summon Warforged Champion (Faiths of Eberron)
Teleport, Mass (Magic of Faerūn)
Tongue of Baalzebul (Book of Vile Darkness)
Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords (Dragon Magic)
Unfailing Endurance (Defenders of the Faith)
Unliving Weapon (Book of Vile Darkness)
Unseen Strike (Complete Mage)
Vigilant Slumber (Complete Mage)

Crake
2023-04-19, 07:10 PM
Actually, no. For all examples.

Actually yes for all examples. Fireball specifically says that the bead travels to it’s destination, and movement/casting can be interrupted at certain points en-route by attacks of opportunity, readied actions, or immediate actions.

Hell, fireball even states that if the bead impacts something early, that it explodes prematurely, so you could, in theory, wait until after someone has cast the spell, and the bead has left their hand, then use an immediate action to cast celerity, to cast a wall of stone right in front of the enemy caster and have the fireball detonate in their face

I may, as a DM, ask for a reflex save vs the spell’s DC to actually time something like that correctly, but that is definitely something allowed and accounted for by the rules.

Darg
2023-04-19, 09:19 PM
I may, as a DM, ask for a reflex save vs the spell’s DC to actually time something like that correctly, but that is definitely something allowed and accounted for by the rules.

They either ready an action to interrupt the spell cast or ready an action to interrupt the flight of a projectile. I wouldn't allow them to change the trigger. Meaning they don't know if a fireball is coming or not when they set the trigger. If not they just got hit with a non-projectile or closed the door on a caster buffing/healing themself.

Crake
2023-04-19, 09:49 PM
They either ready an action to interrupt the spell cast or ready an action to interrupt the flight of a projectile. I wouldn't allow them to change the trigger. Meaning they don't know if a fireball is coming or not when they set the trigger. If not they just got hit with a non-projectile or closed the door on a caster buffing/healing themself.

I was referring to using celerity to interrupt with an immediate action, no triggers involved.

loky1109
2023-04-20, 12:12 AM
Actually yes for all examples. Fireball specifically says that the bead travels to it’s destination, and movement/casting can be interrupted at certain points en-route by attacks of opportunity, readied actions, or immediate actions.

You are still incorrect. Fact that actions that could be triggered by events caused by another actions exist doesn't mean there is "time".

Fireball "travels" instantly without any speed or time. But somebody with immediate wall of stone also could create it instantly without any speed or time (that's why he could create it right in front of the enemy caster or in any over place on the fireball's trajectory).

Crake
2023-04-20, 12:15 AM
You are still incorrect. Fact that actions that could be triggered by events caused by another actions exist doesn't mean there is "time".

Fireball travels instantly without any speed or time. But somebody with immediate wall of stone also could create it instantly without any speed or time (that's why he could create it right in front of the enemy caster or in any over place on the fireball's trajectory).

So is your game’s world a slideshow in-universe then, where everyone teleports around in 30ft increments? Thats an interesting take. Personally, i use mechanics as representative of a continuous flow of time, not as physics of a slideshow universe.

loky1109
2023-04-20, 12:23 AM
So is your game’s world a slideshow in-universe then, where everyone teleports around in 30ft increments? Thats an interesting take. Personally, i use mechanics as representative of a continuous flow of time, not as physics of a slideshow universe.

My game’s world doesn't exist actually.

Of course it's easier to imagine it's just like real world, with time and speed, and so on, but rules really don't help here.

HoM&M3 step-by-step mechanics also describes world with time and so on, but we see different things.

Crake
2023-04-20, 12:37 AM
My game’s world doesn't exist actually.

Of course it's easier to imagine it's just like real world, with time and speed, and so on, but rules really don't help here.

HoM&M3 step-by-step mechanics also describes world with time and so on, but we see different things.

Yeah, see, the rules were made to serve you, not the other way around.

loky1109
2023-04-20, 01:00 AM
Yeah, see, the rules were made to serve you, not the other way around.

I know, but rules can help or can hinder.

Crake
2023-04-20, 02:14 AM
I know, but rules can help or can hinder.

Right, and it sounds to me like your strict adherence to the rules is hindering the simulationism of your gameplay, by viewing every discreet action as taking place in a single instance of time, rather than the constant flowing events that they're made to represent.

Jay R
2023-04-20, 09:19 AM
Right, and it sounds to me like your strict adherence to the rules is hindering the simulationism of your gameplay, by viewing every discreet action as taking place in a single instance of time, rather than the constant flowing events that they're made to represent.

It would be more accurate to characterize it as simulating a complex action with a series of discrete actions. That's not "hindering the simulationism"; it's the proper goal of a simulation. Simulations are supposed to reduce complex systems to a simpler system. We want to model the specific aspect we're studying without the complications. As one of my my simulations professors said, "If we wanted to observe reality, we would observe reality."

This is true of every aspect of a combat simulation. Even throwing a single sword blow is more more complex than any game treats it, involving the sword's current momentum and location from the last attack, the attacker's current balance, the set of the hips, the location of the target's shield and/or weapon(s), etc. Even the fact of a bruised forearm earlier in the fight affects it. We simulate all that with a single d20 roll, to make the game playable at all.

There are always ways to make a simulation more complex and more realistic. Any game can be improved and improved and improved until it becomes unplayable. According to the same simulations professor, "A simulation should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."

Reasonable people can disagree as to what level of simplicity that represents. But we need to realize and accept that different people do have different ideas, and that that disagreeing with you isn't "hindering the simulationism"; it's serving a different set of priorities.

Crake
2023-04-21, 02:10 AM
It would be more accurate to characterize it as simulating a complex action with a series of discrete actions. That's not "hindering the simulationism"; it's the proper goal of a simulation. Simulations are supposed to reduce complex systems to a simpler system. We want to model the specific aspect we're studying without the complications. As one of my my simulations professors said, "If we wanted to observe reality, we would observe reality."

This is true of every aspect of a combat simulation. Even throwing a single sword blow is more more complex than any game treats it, involving the sword's current momentum and location from the last attack, the attacker's current balance, the set of the hips, the location of the target's shield and/or weapon(s), etc. Even the fact of a bruised forearm earlier in the fight affects it. We simulate all that with a single d20 roll, to make the game playable at all.

There are always ways to make a simulation more complex and more realistic. Any game can be improved and improved and improved until it becomes unplayable. According to the same simulations professor, "A simulation should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."

Reasonable people can disagree as to what level of simplicity that represents. But we need to realize and accept that different people do have different ideas, and that that disagreeing with you isn't "hindering the simulationism"; it's serving a different set of priorities.

Right, but my point is that, just because the simulation represents actions discreetly, denying the fact that the simulation is in fact a simplification is reductive and not helpful toward creating a believable simulation. Saying “people move from a to b instantly because its one discreet action” when thats simply not true, either in universe, OR in the rules (because readied actions, immediate actions, and attacks of opportunity can all occur mid-movement) is the issue I have.

Like, its fine if you want to simplify it for the sake of serving some other priority, but completely denying what the simulation is aiming to represent is just nonsense.

It also doesnt help when they just say “no, youre wrong on all accounts” without actually even providing any argument as to WHY.

Nizaris
2023-04-21, 10:28 AM
A Fireball bead travels it's prescribed distance in the same six seconds of its caster's turn as an arrow fired out to the maximum 10 range increments of 1,100 ft. Projectiles in D&D ignore velocity since an arrow traveling 360 ft/s should take 3 seconds to travel that distance; yet if a level 16 archer full attacks over 6 seconds, they can (without magic) fire up to 5 arrows (rapid shot + 4 attacks from BAB) within a single 6 second round. For the last arrow to hit their target by the end of those six seconds, they would have to fire all five arrows in succession within 3 seconds to allow the three seconds of travel time (and should then allow the archer to have half their 6 second turn remaining to spend on a move action if they only need 3 seconds of it to attack) -or- it takes them 6 seconds to fire 5 arrows which travel to their target as soon as they're fired unless acted upon by an outside effect in the simulation that is D&D's combat system.

sreservoir
2023-04-21, 03:43 PM
I posit the following: "Immediately" in this case means a spell that takes 1 standard action to cast comes into effect immediately at the end of your turn, which means you could potentially cast the spell at a target and then move behind full cover that is blocking line of sight to the target (for the sake of the discussion, ignore fireball since it's a spread spell and doesn't give two *bleeps* and a martini about your cover).

This can't possibly work, because coming into effect happens at exactly the time where you determine targets &c.:

You make all pertinent decisions about a spell (range, target, area, effect, version, and so forth) when the spell comes into effect.

Ramza00
2023-04-21, 10:26 PM
Do not make me pull out Yoda or any other puppets as small as a mustard seed!

You gotta have faith :smalltongue:

Returnip
2023-04-27, 05:04 PM
Actually, there are plenty of those which list their casting time as "1 full round" - just not in the Core:

Allied Footsteps (Complete Mage)
Benediction (Complete Champion)
Call of the Twilight Defender (Dragon Magic)
Channel the Dragon (Dragon Magic)
Climbing Tree (Complete Mage)
Create Trap (Races of the Dragon)
Dance of Ruin (Book of Vile Darkness)
Dark Tide (Stormwrack)
Divine Storm (Defenders of the Faith)
Doom of the Seas (Stormwrack)
Ectoplasmic Enhancement (Book of Vile Darkness)
Elemental Eye (Complete Mage)
Endless Slumber (Complete Mage)
Enduring Flight (Races of the Wild)
Engulfing Terror (Drow of the Underdark)
Ensul's Soultheft (City of Splendors)
Fiendish Quickening (Book of Vile Darkness)
Follow the Leader (Song and Silence)
Icy Claw (Dragons of Faerūn)
Indifference (Tome and Blood)
Manifest Dragon Heritage (Races of the Dragon)
Mark of Sin (Complete Champion)
Mirror Walking (Manual of the Planes)
Necrotic Curse (Complete Mage)
Otiluke's Supressing Field (Complete Mage)
Persuade to Manifest (Ghostwalk)
Profane Item (Complete Champion)
Proper State (Ghostwalk)
Rary's Arcane Conversion (Complete Mage)
Rebirth of Iron (Complete Mage)
Sacred Item (Complete Champion)
Seed of Undeath (Complete Mage)
Shadow Canopy (Races of Faerūn)
Skull of Secrets (Player's Guide to Faerūn)
Soldiers of Sanctity (The Forge of War)
Spellmantle (Player's Guide to Faerūn)
Spores of the Vrock (Book of Vile Darkness)
Stormrunner's Ward (Stormwrack)
Stormwalk (Stormwrack)
Summon Giants (Frostburn)
Summon Warforged Champion (Faiths of Eberron)
Teleport, Mass (Magic of Faerūn)
Tongue of Baalzebul (Book of Vile Darkness)
Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords (Dragon Magic)
Unfailing Endurance (Defenders of the Faith)
Unliving Weapon (Book of Vile Darkness)
Unseen Strike (Complete Mage)
Vigilant Slumber (Complete Mage)

That's an interesting finding. Did they mean to give them a casting time of "1 round" or does "1 full round" mean something different?

Ramza00
2023-04-27, 07:24 PM
That's an interesting finding. Did they mean to give them a casting time of "1 round" or does "1 full round" mean something different?

1 full round activates this turn but takes the move and standard action
1 round activates next turn right before your next initiative where you get a new swift, move, and standard action.

Totally different animals if you play a good game of rocket tag for full round push force / threat immediately vs allowing your enemies to do their own rockets either killing you outright or making you do concentration checks that may make you lose the spell.