PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Spell Slots for Smite?

Cowboy_ninja
2023-04-17, 10:15 PM
My Hexblad warlock is constantly running out of spell slots to Eldritch smite with. Is there a magic item that can store spell slots for me to burn?

ring of storing perhaps? peral of power? RAW, can I burn those charges for purposes of eldritch smite?

Damon_Tor
2023-04-17, 10:49 PM
My Hexblad warlock is constantly running out of spell slots to Eldritch smite with. Is there a magic item that can store spell slots for me to burn?

ring of storing perhaps? peral of power? RAW, can I burn those charges for purposes of eldritch smite?

The pearl of power works fine as long as your slots aren't above 3rd level yet.

Cowboy_ninja
2023-04-17, 10:56 PM
The pearl of power works fine as long as your slots aren't above 3rd level yet.

The slots are at 5th level at the moment yea. how does that change things?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2023-04-17, 11:38 PM
The slots are at 5th level at the moment yea. how does that change things?

It should still work, but it will restore the slot as a 3rd level slot rather than a 5th level slot. Double-check with your DM, since warlock spell slots are a little funny, but it should work fine with that downscaling.

Jerrykhor
2023-04-18, 01:25 AM
Rod of the Pact Keeper.

Kane0
2023-04-18, 02:56 AM
Pearl of power
Rod of the pact keeper
Ring of spell storing
Spell storing item
Rod of absorbtion

Cowboy_ninja
2023-04-20, 02:46 PM
Pearl of power
Rod of the pact keeper
Ring of spell storing
Spell storing item
Rod of absorbtion

What would the action economy look like for ring of spell storing? RAW can I just burn a spell thats in there to do a smite of equivalent spell level?

Silly Name
2023-04-20, 02:56 PM
Neither Ring of Spell Storing nor a Spell Storing item would help with Eldritch Smites. Those items don't provide you with extra slots, just with a spell that can be cast from the item.

stoutstien
2023-04-20, 02:59 PM
What would the action economy look like for ring of spell storing? RAW can I just burn a spell thats in there to do a smite of equivalent spell level?

RaW the ring/SSI don't work with eldritch smite so it's DM call

Kane0
2023-04-20, 07:19 PM
Neither Ring of Spell Storing nor a Spell Storing item would help with Eldritch Smites. Those items don't provide you with extra slots, just with a spell that can be cast from the item.

You could however load them up with Smite spells

Keravath
2023-04-20, 10:43 PM
You could however load them up with Smite spells

True but the OP is asking about more Warlock spell slots to use with Eldritch Smite specifically, so storing smite spells isn't related to the question.

Rod of the Pact Keeper restores 1 spell slot/day.

However, the best way for a Hexblade to get more spell slots for smiting is to take a short rest since you will get all your spell slots back on a short rest. Convincing the party to take short rests more often should help a lot.

Hiro Quester
2023-04-23, 12:55 AM
You might also talk to your DM. Perhaps a home-brewed magic item might solve your problem.

The hexblade I was playing until recently had his magic pact blade give him a home-brewed self-sacrifice ability, in which I could create and use an extra spell slot by burning hit dice equal to the level of the spell slot. And after using the spell slot I would be slowed for a round.

So this meant I could compromise my ability to heal on short rests, and my actions for the next round, for that emergency glorious third spell slot to use for a smite that I really needed, hopefully to finish a combat after rolling a critical hit when I had run out of smites to use.

The sword also had the ability to help me regain a spent hit dice by capturing the soul of sentient creatures killed nay my pact weapon, warlock spell, or while under the effect of my hex or hexblade's curse. That person could not be raised from the dead by any means short of Divine Intervention or a wish spell, until after I died.

It was a fun and practical, and slightly corrupting, ability that I never used (because the PC died just after that ability was gained). But it leant into the play-style of the glory-hound he was.

MrStabby
2023-04-23, 04:26 PM
It should still work, but it will restore the slot as a 3rd level slot rather than a 5th level slot. Double-check with your DM, since warlock spell slots are a little funny, but it should work fine with that downscaling.

Has this been errata'd? I seem to remember selling one of these as a warlock after I hit level 7 in a campaign years ago - maybe the DM's description was not that of the one in the DMG, maybe I misremember or maybe the text changed?

Kane0
2023-04-23, 08:07 PM
Has this been errata'd? I seem to remember selling one of these as a warlock after I hit level 7 in a campaign years ago - maybe the DM's description was not that of the one in the DMG, maybe I misremember or maybe the text changed?

Yeah a Pearl will max out at providing a 3rd level slot, whether that be spellcasting or pact magic doesn't get around that.