PDA

View Full Version : Need Inspiration for Hold Person + Smite Combo

Regrets_Only
2023-04-18, 03:18 PM
My DnD group contains a paladin (myself) and a cleric (other player) who worship the same deity. I need a catchy name for the combination of Hold Person + Smite.

These PCs haven't done it together before, but they would have heard of others in their religion who have.

Damon_Tor
2023-04-18, 04:15 PM
Depends on the faith in question.

A god of the forge domain would be the most obvious, something like the Anvil of Judgement (with the smiting paladin acting as the hammer. Bonus points if he actually uses a hammer.)

KorvinStarmast
2023-04-18, 05:01 PM
My DnD group contains a paladin (myself) and a cleric (other player) who worship the same deity. I need a catchy name for the combination of Hold Person + Smite.

These PCs haven't done it together before, but they would have heard of others in their religion who have.

Critical Flail. :smallbiggrin:

stayhoided
2023-04-18, 05:07 PM
Instead of Smash n' Grab you Grab n' Smash

Hold Tight n' Smite

anything with n' really

Psyren
2023-04-18, 05:12 PM
You mean like Stand & Deliver?
Stop & Drop?
Bound & Determined?
Catch & Release?
Said & Done?

kazaryu
2023-04-18, 11:20 PM

'bind' is a fairly common term with regards to fighitng evil 'i bind you in the name of the lord'. so somthing like

bind 'n bash could work.

Witty Username
2023-04-19, 01:08 AM
Any favorite weapons for this character?

da newt
2023-04-19, 07:34 AM
Bag and Tag?
Stop Drop and Roll?
Incapacitate and Decapitate?
Freeze Tag?
Zap and Whap?
Stop and Pop?

Mastikator
2023-04-19, 08:39 AM
Grabby Stabby No Jutsu!

trtl
2023-04-19, 11:01 AM
No, you do not need inspiration for this combo.

Hold person requires the enemy to make a saving throw, not you, so you can't use your inspiration on it, and being paralyzed already grants advantage to attackers. Since advantage doesn't stack, I would not recommend using your inspiration to attack a paralyzed opponent either.

Hope that helps! :P

MadBear
2023-04-19, 12:09 PM
You mean like Stand & Deliver?
Stop & Drop?
Bound & Determined?
Catch & Release?
Said & Done?

These are amazing!

I particularly find Stand & Deliver or Catch & Release to be a perfect name for this combo.

NecessaryWeevil
2023-04-20, 08:39 PM
Pray & Slay.

Willowhelm
2023-04-20, 09:33 PM
I suggest Stay and Pray (for your life)

No, you do not need inspiration for this combo.

Hold person requires the enemy to make a saving throw, not you, so you can't use your inspiration on it, and being paralyzed already grants advantage to attackers. Since advantage doesn't stack, I would not recommend using your inspiration to attack a paralyzed opponent either.

Hope that helps!

The thread title refers to real world inspiration, not a game mechanic. Nothing in the OP seems to refer to the game mechanic.

Hope that helps.

Regrets_Only
2023-04-20, 10:50 PM
So many good ideas!

Depends on the faith in question.

A god of the forge domain would be the most obvious, something like the Anvil of Judgement (with the smiting paladin acting as the hammer. Bonus points if he actually uses a hammer.)

This sounds awesome, but sadly, its not the case. I'm working with an Oath of the Crown paladin and a Light Domain cleric, although this faith in principle could grant any cleric domain.

Any favorite weapons for this character?

No, not really. And this spell + attack combination should be known to a bunch of people, so hopefully it's weapon-agnostic.

Joe the Rat
2023-04-21, 02:06 PM
Keeping it domain and weapon agnostic, Damon_Tor's Anvil of Judgement has a bit of poetry to it. If you wanted to emphasize the two-party aspect in the title, "Anvil of Faith, Hammer of Judgement" keeps the forging theme (which really is good for about any metalworking civilizations), and clarifies the roles of the combo.

Kurt Kurageous
2023-04-21, 03:31 PM
Wrap-n-slap

Freeze and Breeze

Stop and Chop

Bag and Tag

trtl
2023-04-22, 07:05 AM
I suggest Stay and Pray (for your life)

The thread title refers to real world inspiration, not a game mechanic. Nothing in the OP seems to refer to the game mechanic.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, it was a light-hearted joke.

animorte
2023-04-22, 10:41 AM
Yeah, it was a light-hearted joke.
That's certainly how I read it. Next time throw one of these in there: :smallwink: :smalltongue:

trtl
2023-04-22, 11:22 AM
That's certainly how I read it. Next time throw one of these in there: :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Yeah, that would have been wise, I edited the original post

stoutstien
2023-04-22, 11:24 AM
You know this made me realize they never corrected the fact that paralyzed has no direct interaction with strength or dex checks/contests

Psyren
2023-04-22, 11:56 AM
You know this made me realize they never corrected the fact that paralyzed has no direct interaction with strength or dex checks/contests

Does it need one? "You can't move" precludes the vast, vast majority of such checks. Note that "you can't move" is not the same as "your speed is 0."

stoutstien
2023-04-22, 12:06 PM
Does it need one? "You can't move" precludes the vast, vast majority of such checks. Note that "you can't move" is not the same as "your speed is 0."

Grappling comes to mind. Not that I would ever rule it this way but at face value paralyzation doesn't prevent the contested check.

Psyren
2023-04-22, 12:29 PM
Grappling comes to mind. Not that I would ever rule it this way but at face value paralyzation doesn't prevent the contested check.

Even putting aside the stuff I just said - "You succeed automatically if the target is incapacitated." No check.

stoutstien
2023-04-22, 12:51 PM
Even putting aside the stuff I just said - "You succeed automatically if the target is incapacitated." No check.

That's what I was missing. I forgot I changed it in my games and haven't looked back off the actual grappling action I a while.

JonBeowulf
2023-04-22, 01:13 PM
These are amazing!

I particularly find Stand & Deliver or Catch & Release to be a perfect name for this combo.

Another vote for Stand & Deliver.