PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Spells

Kizara
2007-12-05, 08:04 AM
So, ah, I was going to ask the forums what spells my duskblade should get. I've never ran one before, and would appreciate any advice.

I ran into a few problems selecting them, myself.

My character has an int of 20 naturally, and at level 4 he has 7 0-level and 5 1st-level spells known if I understand the rules correctly. That's not bad, except that there's only 6 1st-level duskblade spells TOTAL and no 0-level ones AT ALL...

Is there an errata for this or something? Cause this is absurd, the class clearly has a spell progression that includes cantrips, yet has no listed ones for spells known. It's also silly that it gets 5 1st-level known (minimum) but only has 6 total to pick from...

Arbitrarity
2007-12-05, 08:12 AM
Nope, you have a problem. Those are spells/day.

He KNOWS 2 cantrips, and 5 1'st level spells. Look at the "spellcasting" class feature. Technically, he can know more cantrips, but who wants that?

Kizara
2007-12-05, 08:15 AM
Nope, you have a problem. Those are spells/day.

He KNOWS 2 cantrips, and 5 1'st level spells. Look at the "spellcasting" class feature. Technically, he can know more cantrips, but who wants that?

"You begin play knowing 2 0-level spells and 2 1st-level spells, chosen from the duskblade spell list. You also know one additional 0-level spell per point of intelligence."

Regardless, this doesn't remedy the fact that his 0-level spell list doesn't exist.

Reinboom
2007-12-05, 08:18 AM
You're looking at the wrong page for his spell list.

Look on page 24 of the PHB 2.

RTGoodman
2007-12-05, 08:18 AM
The full Duskblade spell list is actually on page 24.

EDIT: GAH! Ninja'd!

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-05, 08:21 AM
Didn't other books add more duskblade spells?

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-05, 08:21 AM
None that I know.

Arbitrarity
2007-12-05, 08:23 AM
"You begin play knowing 2 0-level spells and 2 1st-level spells, chosen from the duskblade spell list. You also know one additional 0-level spell per point of intelligence."

Regardless, this doesn't remedy the fact that his 0-level spell list doesn't exist.

Damnit, I must be blind. Then again, I'm using the crystalkeep duskblade, which doesn't say that. Huh.

"Spellcasting – Able to cast Spontaneous Intelligence-based Arcane spell from the Duskblade spell list (see page 180). At 1st level, a Duskblade knows two 0th level spells and two 1st level spells. Each subsequent levels, a Duskblade leans one spell of any level he/she can cast. Starting at 5th level (and every odd-numbered level afterwards), a Duskblade may replace one Known spell with another of the same level and they both must two levels below the highest the Duskblade is able to cast)."

Kizara
2007-12-05, 08:26 AM
You're looking at the wrong page for his spell list.

Look on page 24 of the PHB 2.

THANK YOU!

Wow, can they put it in a more random-ass spot? I mean, I suppose it's not like in the middle of the feat section or something, but the spell progression specifically referred me to page 98 and having the list after all the examples, supplimentry flavor text and crap is just fricken absurd...

But yea, thanks alot, knew I had to be missing something. If only it wasn't hidden so damn well...

Edit: Nice, there's only 4 cantrips listed TOTAL... Man, even a normal duskblade with a 18 int is going to have 6 spell's known, how the heck do they think only have 4 cantrips listed is going to cut it? I mean... seriously...

Kaelik
2007-12-05, 09:13 AM
Edit: Nice, there's only 4 cantrips listed TOTAL... Man, even a normal duskblade with a 18 int is going to have 6 spell's known, how the heck do they think only have 4 cantrips listed is going to cut it? I mean... seriously...

Yeah, I've always wondered about that. It seems like they really didn't think it through too much.

Honestly though, I wish they had added duskblade spells in some book. The spell list isn't very long, and they could use more options. Plus, that's the point of being a spellcaster, to get new options in every new book.

Kizara
2007-12-05, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I've always wondered about that. It seems like they really didn't think it through too much.

Honestly though, I wish they had added duskblade spells in some book. The spell list isn't very long, and they could use more options. Plus, that's the point of being a spellcaster, to get new options in every new book.

My guess is that it was longer and then they added in the Arcane Attunement ability and thus removed spells duplicated in that ability.

Honestly, I don't terribly care, as between arcane attunement and sorc casting on my 'other side' of my gestalt, I have plenty of cantrips, it just strikes me as horribly bad design.

weenie
2007-12-05, 10:25 AM

Don't know of any, but it would sure be useful.

Leicontis
2007-12-05, 10:31 AM
Anybody know offhand of any source of a Duskblade variant that prepares/learns spells like a Wizard?

Morbius
2007-12-05, 10:38 AM

There is a variant somewhere (I think it's spell compendium) that you may trade spells from classes with limited choices(like the warmage, duskblade, beguiler and dread necromancer). You can lose a possible spell choice from the list to add another.

-Cor-
2007-12-05, 11:30 AM
I think the reason the Duskblade spell list is so limited is because of quite a few other features that the Duskblade gets. Full BaB and one of, if not the, highest number of Spells/Day.

Plus, the spells the Duskblade does have are naturally pretty dang effective. Ray of Enfeeblement and Touch of Idiocy being very potent. Scorching Ray is quite an effective RTA damage spell. And channeling Shocking Grasp 7-8 times per day off of your Greatsword for 2d6 + 1.5(STR) + 5d6 isn't too shabby either.

Feats like Sudden Still, Sudden Maximize, and Sudden Empower all create a pretty handy "OH S***" button too.

If you're looking for more power with the Duskblade, I think you might be asking too much.

Valairn
2007-12-05, 11:40 AM
If it suits you, you can always do a modified gish approach. Arcane Channeling AFAIK does not limit you to only the Duskblade spells, you should be able to for instance take 3 levels in Duskblade and channel any spell you know through attacks, it actually sets you up pretty nicely as well, 3 BaB + 4 levels of wizard drops you right into Abjurant Champion, which grants you some excellent bonuses, and then you can select any of those more lengthy prestige classes to continue with a good BaB and full spellcasting, and still end up with ninth level spells at lvl 20, it really isn't that shabby a deal.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-05, 11:50 AM
The Duskblade gets a few new spells in the Eberron sourcebook Forge of War. Also, Roland and I came up with some additions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-34943.html) a while back.

PlatinumJester
2007-12-05, 12:29 PM
There is a very good feat in Complete Mage (or Arcane maye). Every time you hit with a sword you add +1DC of any spell you cast in the next round. However the feat also lets you deal +1 mellee damage in the next round every time you cast a spell. Since you can do both you can get +1 to your spell DC add +1 weapon damage every round.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-05, 03:10 PM
The Duskblade gets a few new spells in the Eberron sourcebook Forge of War. Also, Roland and I came up with some additions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-34943.html) a while back.
!

I knew I got that book for something besides flavor. *runs home*

PlatinumJester
2007-12-05, 03:34 PM
!

I knew I got that book for something besides flavor. *runs home*

Actually it has about 5 extra Duskblade spells, if that.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-05, 04:34 PM
That's still like a 10-15% increase.

Wonder if they put in Phantom Steed so Duskblade/Knight Phantom actually works without a lot of effort and a largely useless Extra Spell feat.

(Note: did not actually run home, because he is at work.)

Kurald Galain
2007-12-05, 04:41 PM
Don't know of any, but it would sure be useful.

Indeed. It's quite possible for a low-level Duskblade to (supposedly) know more cantrips than exist on his class list.

cupkeyk
2007-12-05, 05:12 PM
You could take the Arcane Disciple feat and add six spells throughout your repertoire.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-05, 05:19 PM
That requires 16 Wis to get a full effect though. Most Duskblades are going to focus on Int, Str, Con, and maybe Dex first.

If you've got a high point buy (say 32) or four good rolls, though, it's workable.

This brings the question of which domains are good for it, though. Destruction has good spells for channeling, but other things might have more utility.

Rad
2007-12-05, 05:21 PM
If I'm not mistake, the FAQ clarified that you can only use duskblade spells with arcane channel, meaning that gestalting it with sorcerer becomes quite meh.

Kizara
2007-12-05, 07:46 PM
I think the reason the Duskblade spell list is so limited is because of quite a few other features that the Duskblade gets. Full BaB and one of, if not the, highest number of Spells/Day.

Plus, the spells the Duskblade does have are naturally pretty dang effective. Ray of Enfeeblement and Touch of Idiocy being very potent. Scorching Ray is quite an effective RTA damage spell. And channeling Shocking Grasp 7-8 times per day off of your Greatsword for 2d6 + 1.5(STR) + 5d6 isn't too shabby either.

Feats like Sudden Still, Sudden Maximize, and Sudden Empower all create a pretty handy "OH S***" button too.

If you're looking for more power with the Duskblade, I think you might be asking too much.

To be fair, I'm not asking for much here. I understand the spell list is not large, its not meant as a main caster. I find the first level list to be quite acceptable, for instance.

What I'm asking for here is a reasonable amount of cantrips. That's right, cantrips. Like, 8-10 total on the list would be nice. I honestly don't think that having enough cantrips that the average duskblade (16-18 int) can actually get all the cantrips entitled to him is asking for a whole lot.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-06, 03:33 AM
In case people were wondering, there are exactly two Duskblade spells in FoW, only one of which might conceivably be worth spending a spell known on (the other emulating a 2000 gp enchantment from the MIC that instantly calls equipment to you).

I feel cheated. At least the book has slightly more love for Paladins, my other favorite class (mm...Devastating Smite).

-Cor-
2007-12-06, 11:20 AM
To be fair, I'm not asking for much here.

What I'm asking for here is a reasonable amount of cantrips.

Ask your DM if you can homebrew something? Most of the DBs cantrips are Touch/Ray spells taken off the W/S spell list. My suggestion is to look for other Touch/Ray cantrips in CA/CM/SC/etc...

Unfortunately, WotC very rarely writes new 0-level spells so...

AKA_Bait
2007-12-06, 01:48 PM
Wonder if they put in Phantom Steed so Duskblade/Knight Phantom actually works without a lot of effort and a largely useless Extra Spell feat.

Where is Knight Phantom from?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-06, 02:31 PM
As I recall, it's the "Aundair" Prestige Class in Five Nations. However, I may have mixed up the name of the class with the name of the organiztion they work for.

skywalker
2007-12-06, 02:41 PM
You can only channel duskblade spells through arcane channeling. Otherwise it might get a little bit ridiculous, y'know?

EDIT: I was dead wrong!

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-06, 02:46 PM
Where is Knight Phantom from?
I already answered this, but it's at the bottom of the page, and I found a Web Excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050706a&page=4) just now.

But to reiterate, Five Nations.

Kizara
2007-12-06, 03:51 PM
You can only channel duskblade spells through arcane channeling. Otherwise it might get a little bit ridiculous, y'know?

Not according to my DM, and yes it will. It's still touch-ranged only, so the options are limited.

As for homebrew, yes I will do exactly that. Just grab a bunch of generic cantrips from the S/W list that you can't do with Arcane Channeling.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-06, 06:02 PM

According to what, exactly? The ability description doesn't even specify "arcane" or "divine", much less "source".

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-06, 06:06 PM
Actually per the the PHII page 20, "you can use a standard action to cast any touch spellyou know and deliver it though your weapon with a melee attack"

There is no restriction on only Duskblade spells, it is any spell known.

skywalker
2007-12-06, 10:36 PM
Actually per the the PHII page 20, "you can use a standard action to cast any touch spellyou know and deliver it though your weapon with a melee attack"

There is no restriction on only Duskblade spells, it is any spell known.

You got me, you and fax both, I've played a bunch of duskblades so I thought I knew it, but I went shooting my mouth off about something without consulting the book.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-07, 11:23 AM
You got me, you and fax both, I've played a bunch of duskblades so I thought I knew it, but I went shooting my mouth off about something without consulting the book.

Hey, at least you admit it. Counts for something, no?

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-07, 11:53 AM
No worries, I only knew the answer for certain because I had to point it out to the DM of the game where I play a Duskblade.

TheThan
2007-12-07, 02:02 PM
Anybody know offhand of any source of a Duskblade variant that prepares/learns spells like a Wizard?

there's a feat in complete arcane (or was it player's handbook II?), called Arcane preparation, it makes you prepare spells like a wizard instead of a sorcerer. You can use that. it doesn't add spells to you're spell list but the Benefits include:

*The ability to invest more feats into combat and less into spontaneous metamagic feats.

*The use of regular metamagic feats instead of the spontaneous ones. and since the standard ones are better, you'll be better off.

* Cool factor. face it, casting spells like a wizard is cool, and we all want to be cool right?!