PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Does Righteous Aura destroy your equipment?

Spugnell
2023-04-21, 03:14 PM
The paladin spell "Righteous Aura" from Miniatures Handbook says the following:

You invoke the powers of good and law, and in response to your pleas, you glow with the golden radiance of the sun.

You are bathed in an unearthly glow for the duration of the spell, as if a daylight spell (PH 216) had been cast on you. You get a +4 sacred bonus to Charisma.

If you die, your body is converted into an explosive blast of energy in a 20-foot-radius burst centered where you fell, dealing 2d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) to all evil creatures in the burst's area. Good creatures in the area are healed by the same amount, and undead take double this damage. Spell resistance cannot prevent this damage, but a successful Reflex save reduces it to half. Your body is disintegrated, so you cannot be raised with a raise dead spell. Spells that do not require an intact body, such as true resurrection, can be used to bring you back to life as normal.

Besides it being up to the individual DM, is there any clarification as to whether the explosion destroys your equipment?

It does technically say your "body" is disintegrated, so perhaps all your equipment remains intact. Also worth noting the blast heals allies, so by this logic it could avoid destroying your equipment.

Interested to hear your interpretations. My DM supposed that we should roll for each item to see if it survived the blast.

Kish
2023-04-21, 03:16 PM
I would say it wouldn't damage any of your equipment. It destroys your body completely; damages evil creatures; heals good creatures. Your equipment is hopefully not a) your body, b) evil creatures, or c) good creatures, so it does nothing at all to it.

Inevitability
2023-04-21, 04:53 PM
I would say it wouldn't damage any of your equipment. It destroys your body completely; damages evil creatures; heals good creatures. Your equipment is hopefully not a) your body, b) evil creatures, or c) good creatures, so it does nothing at all to it.

This yeah.

On a flavor level, you're clearly not exploding with any kind of physical force (otherwise it'd harm neutral creatures too, wouldn't it?), you're converting your entire body into raw Goodness and inundating everyone nearby with it on a spiritual level. Objects don't factor into the whole thing because they don't have an alignment.

RNightstalker
2023-04-21, 05:07 PM
I would say yes considering most of your equipment can't survive that kind of damage...if you make your save vs. AoE's then your equipment doesn't have to make a save. Considering you're dead and automatically fail that save, I imagine most of your equipment would be shredded considering it's at ground zero for an explosion.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-21, 05:15 PM
I would say yes considering most of your equipment can't survive that kind of damage...if you make your save vs. AoE's then your equipment doesn't have to make a save. Considering you're dead and automatically fail that save, I imagine most of your equipment would be shredded considering it's at ground zero for an explosion.It's clearly not anything resembling an actual explosion, else it would harm Good creatures and damage Neutral ones. If it doesn't damage Good and Neutral creatures, why would it damage Good or Neutral equipment?

Might damage Evil equipment, but why would a paladin be carrying such, except to destroy it at some point anyway?

Chronos
2023-04-23, 07:10 AM
The Disintegrate (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disintegrate.htm) spell also doesn't destroy a creature's equipment.

RNightstalker
2023-04-24, 10:27 AM
The Disintegrate (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disintegrate.htm) spell also doesn't destroy a creature's equipment.

Disintegrate also specifically mentions a charater's equipment, while Righteous Aura doesn't.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-04-24, 10:29 AM
Disintegrate also specifically mentions a charater's equipment, while Righteous Aura doesn't.If it doesn't say it affects objects, it does not, in fact, affect objects.

Chronos
2023-04-24, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I only pointed out the Disintegrate spell because, so far as I see, there are only two ways to interpret Righteous Aura:
a: It says it destroys your body, and has various effects on creatures of various alignments, and equipment is none of those, so it doesn't effect equipment.
b: It says it disintegrates your body, and so it'd affect your equipment the same way the Disintegrate spell would.

But both of those interpretations lead to the same conclusion.

SirNibbles
2023-04-24, 07:52 PM
Unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a creature are assumed to survive a magical attack.

Rules Compendium, page 112

It doesn't say otherwise, so all items carried or worn survive.