PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dragonslayer (Paladin)

kbob
2023-04-21, 05:05 PM
So I have never made a homebrew subclass or class before so I wanted to try my luck. I think Dragonslayers are iconic and wonder why we havenÂ’t had an official one for 5e yet.
I realize it’s very specialized but I did try to add a nugget or two to help against non-dragon threats as well. That said I am well aware that it is specialized as it was designed to be so. I didn’t want it to be the “go to” paladin while still being able to contribute in non-dragon combat. However, I did want it to do it’s one job really well while still not breaking the game in that vein as well. Basically I wanted something that would strike terror in the heart of any dragon that faced one while still being able to be challenged by a smart dragon. Thoughts and feedback welcomed.
So here is my attempt at making the Oath of the Dragonslayer subclass for paladins.

Dragonslayer (Paladin)
3rd level:
Oath spells:
* 3rd level: Absorb elements, wrathful smite
* 5th level: magic weapon, earthbind
* 9th level: haste, protection from energy
* 13th level: locate creature, staggering smite
* 17th level: holy weapon, hold monster

favored dragon foe
- At third level pick one dragon type among chromatic, metallic, or gem dragons. For example, you can pick red dragons from the chromatic dragons. This becomes your favored type and lasts throughout your Paladin career. You cannot not change this selection once made. You swear an oath by your faith to see the utter destruction of all of this dragon type. No quarters or surrender is offered as you have vowed to destroy all of its line.
The Paladin gains advantage on survival (wisdom) checks to track down his favored foe. Also, any arcana and investigation (intelligence) checks made to understand or gather information on your favored foe have advantage as well. Lastly, any melee attack made against your favored foe increases its crit range to 19-20.
- Channel divinity:
* dragon fang: as a BA and for one min, all melee weapon attacks add you charisma modifier to their damage and your weapon is considered magical if it is not already.
* hatred of the wyrm: as a bonus action you can identify any dragon kind that you can see as your favored foe. For one minute, you receive all the bonuses mentioned for your favored foe on that specific creature. For example, if you’re favored for is “red dragons” but you are facing wyverns, you may use this feature to receive the all bonuses of favored dragon for from Oath of the Dragonslayer to one specific wyvern that you can see for one minute.

7th level: Aura of DragonÂ’s Bane
- while conscious and not incapacitated this 10Â’ aura does the following (this aura increases to 30Â’ at 18th level):
- This aura gives you and all allies within it advantage on any save to resist a dragonÂ’s breathe weapon attack. Furthermore, while you are wielding a shield and if the dragon is of your favored type, any successful save against a dragonÂ’s breathe weapon by you or your allies that would grant partial damage or effect is, instead, reduced to zero or negated, respectfully. If you or your allies fail this save, that creature takes half damage instead of full damage. All other effects are applied as normal.

15th level: Aura of DragonÂ’s Bane
- while conscious and not incapacitated this 10Â’ aura does the following (this aura increases to 30Â’ at 18th level):
- This 10Â’ aura causes any hostile dragon that starts its turn within it to have to make a wisdom save (8 + charisma bonus + proficiency bonus) or be frightened until the start of its next turn. The dragon repeats this save each turn it starts in the aura.

20th level: Wyrmslayer
- You add a hit bonus and damage bonus to your melee attacks against dragons equal to your charisma bonus
- Your crit range on all dragons increases to 19-20. Your favored dragon type increases to 18-20. Furthermore, as a BA and for 1 min, all crits against your favored dragon type triple your damage dice instead of double. You can use this ability to triple your damage dice once per long rest.

CTurbo
2023-04-21, 05:54 PM
Not a bad first attempt. I'd make a couple of changes though off the top of my head.

1. I don't like the "favored dragon" angle. I'd scrap that for sure.

2a. I'd make the second CD a fear effect for dragons instead of it being at 15th level. Perhaps have the save DC scale with levels.
2b. Do you really want the first CD feature to mirror the Devotion? It's a good ability, but I'm sure you could come up with something new.

3. I don't like that the 7th level Aura does nothing unless you're facing a dragon.

4. The 20th level capstone is typically a feature that you activate and it lasts a specific amount of time, usually 1 minute or 1 hour, and is once per long/short rest. Triple damage dice on crits is probably too overkill because smite spam.

I do like the spell selection

kbob
2023-04-22, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback!
1. The favored foe angle is one I adopted from an ADnD Paladin kit, “wyrmslayer” (a name I used for the capstone). They hated all evil dragons but there is one line in particular that was their sworn foe. I like the theme but I also know it seems “rangery” which is something I’m not going for. So I’ll try tinkering with it some more. Maybe just a name change?
2. a. I think I like the fear effect idea as a CD that you suggested. That seems to work thematically.
2. b. I didn’t want it to mirror the devotion. I specifically wanted damage instead of “to hit” bonus. It was supposed to be the one thing that was notably useful outside of dragon combat. But perhaps the fear may work better here.
3. This one is definitely limited and a complete dead level unless youÂ’re fighting dragons. But then again, thatÂ’s what this oath does. IÂ’ll go back and look at it some more though.
4. I purposefully changed up the “norm” here with having an “always on“ effect while still utilizing a once/day effect. The triple damage may be OP. I was running that over and over in my head. My reasoning is that, this is probably something, especially at level 20, that you’ll end up using once ever (and that’s if you crit). It was more for the theme and wow factor: the dragonslayers time to shine. I used the legend of Huma, a Dragonlance novel, as inspiration. Not sure which direction to go to bring the same wow and terror (from dragon’s perspective), but I’ll try more brain storming.
And thanks, the spell list was definitely picked to augment the chassis, mechanically and thematically.