PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew 5e Material - Lair Actions and Legendary Actions

Barbarian Horde
2023-04-21, 11:25 PM
I have an undead-themed monster for my D&D game, but I haven't created a stat block yet. Instead, I have designed some lair actions and a Legendary Action for the monster. These actions were created with a party of five 5th level players in mind, with an average HP of around 35. However, I would appreciate feedback on whether the actions seem too powerful or too weak, and I am open to adjusting them as needed.

=================================================

`Shadowy Mimicry:

As a Legendary Action, the undead boss can create up to three illusory copies of itself that appear within its lair. The copies look and sound like the undead boss, but have no physical substance and cannot be harmed. The copies can move up to the boss's speed, but cannot take any actions or interact with objects.

The DC to see through the illusion and determine which is the real undead boss is 7 + the boss's proficiency bonus.

A creature that interacts with one of the illusory copies or uses an action to closely examine them can attempt an Intelligence (Investigation) check contested by the undead boss's Charisma (Deception) check. On a successful check, the creature can determine which copy is real.

If a creature attacks an illusory copy, the attack passes harmlessly through it and the copy disappears. If the creature attacks the real undead boss while it is surrounded by the illusory copies, the creature has disadvantage on its attack roll.

Additionally, the undead boss can use a legendary action to swap places with one of its illusory copies. The boss disappears and reappears in the space previously occupied by the illusory copy, which disappears. This can be used as a defensive maneuver to avoid attacks or to gain a tactical advantage in combat.

The Shadowy Mimicry legendary action lasts for up to 10 rounds or until the real undead boss takes an action, at which point all the illusory copies disappear. The lair action can be used again after a short or long rest.

The Shadowy Mimicry Legendary Action is designed to create confusion and force the players to use their wits to determine the real boss. With a lower DC, the players are more likely to succeed in seeing through the illusion, but the addition of a legendary action that allows the boss to swap places with a copy makes the boss even more elusive and unpredictable. The 10 round limit adds a sense of urgency to the encounter, encouraging players to act quickly and decisively.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lair Actions
----------------- (edited)

Drain Life:
As a lair action, the undead boss drains the life force from all creatures within a 20-foot radius of itself, restoring some of its own hit points. Each creature within the area must make a Constitution saving throw (DC 7 + the undead boss's proficiency bonus) or take 2d6 necrotic damage, and the undead boss regains hit points equal to the total damage dealt. If a creature succeeds on its saving throw, it takes no damage and the undead boss does not regain any hit points. Drain Life lair action can be used again after a recharge of 4 rounds. (edited)

Corpse Explosion: The undead boss causes a nearby corpse to explode, dealing damage to all creatures within the area of effect.

As a lair action, the undead boss causes a nearby corpse to explode, dealing damage to all creatures within a 15-foot radius of the corpse. Each creature within the area must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 7 + the undead boss's proficiency bonus) or take 3d6 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful save. Corpse Explosion lair action can be used again after a recharge time of 6 rounds. (edited)

Blinding Darkness: The room emits a burst of clouds that act as the spell Deeper Darkness causing its enemies to become blinded for one round.
As a lair action, the undead boss creates an area of impenetrable darkness that fills its lair, potentially blinding its enemies. Each creature within the lair must make a Constitution saving throw (DC 7 + the undead boss's proficiency bonus) or be blinded until the end of its next turn.

A blinded creature has disadvantage on attack rolls and any ability checks that rely on sight. Additionally, other creatures have advantage on attack rolls against it.

The Blinding Darkness lair action can be used again after a recharge time of 3 rounds.